Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

T20 cricket world cup '22

Idaho

blah blah blah
Just watching Zimbabwe rattling through the windies middle order. Some kamikaze stuff from the windies.

First game over watched. Quite a good time of day for me, looking forward to watching some more of the minnows get a chance.

W.Indies v Ireland and Scotland v Zimbabwe are now straight knock-out games to get in the super 12 or whatever silly name they've given it.

If it rains, as forecast, Scotland and Zimbabwe are through

New Zealand off to a flyer. Finn Allen running down the pitch at Cummins, Starc and Hazlewood from ball one. He's gone now but that was entertaining. 42 off 16. Fearless young man.

200 set. Australia haven't been playing that great of late.

Well, I don't think NZ have been either have they?

But that was impressive. I suspect Guptill may have finally played his last match. Finn Allen/Conway looks a great partnership. A blaster and a grafter.

Disastrous start for the Aussies :D

Can't see them coming back from this. Opening match on home soil. Thrashed by the Kiwis.

Mitch Marsh is the Zak Crawley of aussie cricket. Just keeps getting selected.

Cameron Green is the rising star and I don't think is even in the squad.

Only if Crawley is the centre of team building (socially). Marsh comes out of that Aus documentary (that has about 6 parts) really well. Nice bloke.

Well yes. That's what the commentators always say during the Big Bash. Everyone in Aussie cricket is willing him to succeed at international level coz hes such a lovely guy. But he never quite cuts it.

What a weird tournament. Apparently the kiwis are pretty much guaranteed a semi final spot after one victory

Host nations going out so early does ruin a tournament a little. No idea why Finch is even the side let alone being the captain. Can't see them going any further based on that performance. Completely and totally outclassed by NZ who put in a pretty much perfect performance. The only weak(ish) link is KW's form with the bat but his captaincy probably makes up for it.

I didn't realise Allen was already this accomplished.

The performance wasn’t entirely surprising, given Allen’s exploits in the shortest format across Australia and England. He currently scores at 166.99 per hundred balls in T20 Internationals, and 171.57 across all T20 cricket. That leaves him fifth-highest in history on both lists with a minimum of 250 balls faced. In all T20s, nobody who has faced 400 balls has scored higher than Allen, who has faced 1189. He is the most consistently fast scorer in the world, and has the chance to carry New Zealand a long way in the tournament.

The whole format is weird though.

Jos Buttler, Alex Hales, Dawid Malan, Ben Stokes, Harry Brook, Liam Livingstone, Chris Woakes, Moeen Ali, Sam Curran, Adil Rashid, Mark Wood

Solid line up.

Mayhem at the G.

Oh dear Pakistan. A filthy final over from them. India were 45-4 after 10, needed 29 off the last 9 balls.

Ireland beat England on DLS method.

Well done Ireland, but I don't think the DLS method works for t20. At the point when they went off, with Moeen going bonkers, Livingstone up the other end and Curran and Woakes still in the shed, England were favourites.

Tactics in t20 mean that teams sometimes leave their worst bowler to the end, hoping to have won by then - as Pakistan did to their cost against India. DLS works ok in 50-over, but not so much in t20.

Flip side of that is that with weather around, managing the DLS is part of the game. England failed to do that.

England probably had the firepower to pull it out of the bag at the end, but it was an awful performance and the Irish deserved it on the balance of play overall.

One positive at least, any English players smelling their own farts about the 'favourites' tag might feel sufficiently motivated to show up against the Aussies on Friday.

They need to change the batting order, I think. Moeen has been on fire all year. I'd do what his IPL team does and chuck him in at three or four. You have to be flexible in t20. Form players need to be moved up the order. And Ben Stokes at four isn't working.

Meanwhile, weather is going to play havoc with the groups, I'm afraid. Going to be a lot of luck involved in who you get rained off against.

Last edited:
Match against Aus is now huge. It's almost a must-win now, even if NZ get rained off today.

I quite like the format. It's brutal with only two of six progressing. You can only really afford one fuck-up. Today was England's.

Pakistan were my outside tip. Thought they had the bowlers for it. But they're now zero from two and basically out. Two final ball thrillers and games you'd have backed them to win at various stages.

Well done Zim. They've got a fighting chance now.

Back
Top Bottom