Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike!

Anyone know why these ballots have been disaggregated (in the NHS and the civil servants)? Their pay isn't set trust by trust/hospital by hospital is it?
risk mitigation, i presume. Barely got past 50% overall in PCS so it was tight and at least DWP would have been out this way even if the overall vote was lost.

E2a: actually the DWP only scraped past 50% by an even closer margin than nationally. The Rural Payments Agency looks like the biggest bunch of commies

Last edited:
yup, 86% vote to strike on a 51.something% turnout. That's over the threshold in 126 employers, another six were a single vote short of reaching it! All the major groups apart from HMRC (750 votes shy of the threshold) so they're being reballoted early next year.

Yup, hopefully we get info soon, Union NEC meets tomorrow, see what happens.

Anyone know why these ballots have been disaggregated (in the NHS and the civil servants)? Their pay isn't set trust by trust/hospital by hospital is it?

The sort of language used in reporting has been:

Action will take place in all NHS employers in Northern Ireland and Scotland and in all by one employer in Wales, after meeting relevant legal requirements.

Meanwhile, in England nurses have mandated strike action across 130 NHS employers. The RCN said this included “many of the biggest hospitals” in the country, but added that others narrowly missed the legal thresholds and will therefore not be able to take action.

I've heard RCN won't be reballoting the places that didn't get over the line, but PCS are looking at doing it. And as mentioned above, other health unions are still running their ballots at the moment.

What's the theory in not reballoting in those instances? Is it simply a case of lack of resources?

That's what it was with UNISON, right? (Of course, ironically it was the ballot in Health that meant there apparently wasn't enough resources to reballot in HE :D )

So have I understood correctly that it's essentially "oh look, we've been training these agency staff in preparation for the strikes, but might as well use them for these other shifts too and save ourselves some cash, because agency hours are cheaper than overtime hours"?

riQUO4tJlWCYeG2aGvV6r-GkadM_fA7-FFieGkpjsX39W_k8s7FHYTfaBkCaHNJnY1UYt5lZDPeHPgd8muOd5AcWdPctUuxo6a6b9em2RzS4mavDpKM=s0-d-e1-ft

And this list isn't even complete cos it's definitely missing the IWGB action above.

So have I understood correctly that it's essentially "oh look, we've been training these agency staff in preparation for the strikes, but might as well use them for these other shifts too and save ourselves some cash, because agency hours are cheaper than overtime hours"?
It's that pretty much and worse. If you read the thread it's a form of intimidation but also the agency workers are actually paid below the living wage.

Is there any kind of legislation to stop UCL from continuing to use the agency workers after the strike, too?

Am I right in thinking there's something around "you can only use agency workers for short term needs or in times of exceptional circumstance, but not 'business as usual'" thing? Although, given part of my own team's recent restructure involved staffing a large portion of our service with agency staff, I'm guessing... not :confused:

London branches:

Plus SOAS all three days, Southbank I think are doing one (24th, mebbe? :hmm: ).

MMU will be out then as well:

Still seems weird that we seem to have to gather this info on a branch-by-branch basis, if only there was some kind of a national structure connecting these different branches?

Back
Top Bottom