Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike breaking law

I've been told by my direct boss I'm not allowed to recommend trainees join a union ffs. I'm supposed to be "neutral". I've let them know how unhappy I am about it and why, but more usefully, today i gave the group a little speech I'm going to continue doing, that went something like,

I used to recommend joining a union but I've been told I can't. So I can't tell you your best options are Unison and the GMB, I can't tell you it costs about a tenner a month, I can't tell you it's a basic self-safeguarding measure in an insecure, demanding job. So won't say any of that.

I wonder how long I'll get away with it :thumbs: but seriously, WTF ?

I like this approach, it reminds me that because promoting offshore pirate radio stations was illegal, people came up with these 'warning' car-stickers instead.

2hhh.jpg

What bollocks, as if there's loads of agency train drivers and rail signal operators available.
if they asked for volunteers on the transport forum, wouldn't you be tempted to have a go? ;) As long as it's not a tube strike...I wouldn't want to try and balance one of those big trains on the skinny rails IN THE DARK!

I have a feeling that this is one of those ideas that sounded great when being brainstormed in a back room of No 10 but won't work too well in the real world. In order for agency workers to replace striking staff (and replace immediately, no point if it takes 6 months to train them), it needs to be jobs that can be picked up in a day at most so either unskilled menial work or skilled work that is widespread and standardised. The RMT/ASLEF is in the position of strength that they are because this isn't true of the railways. You probably could easily replace people in the ticket booths but if the trains can't run because they find enough skilled people to run the signalling systems and drive the trains then these temps are just getting paid money to sit and stare blankly at the wall. (Hell even Shapp or Rabb could do that at a pinch).
The people who have the sort of jobs where they can be replaced by a phone call tend not to strike because they know they can be replaced with a phone call.

I have a feeling that this is one of those ideas that sounded great when being brainstormed in a back room of No 10 but won't work too well in the real world.

i'm not a railway worker, but fairly sure that rail staff doing anything safety critical have to have a form of licensing.

there's already casualised / agency staff doing the front line 'customer service' stuff so there's the potential for a few more agency staff dealing with the queues on strike days as a gimmick...

I've never driven a train, nor have any experience or knowledge of operating railways. It sounds like fun, where do I apply? The government thinks it's a good idea, so why not? :facepalm:

I have a feeling that this is one of those ideas that sounded great when being brainstormed in a back room of No 10 but won't work too well in the real world. In order for agency workers to replace striking staff (and replace immediately, no point if it takes 6 months to train them), it needs to be jobs that can be picked up in a day at most so either unskilled menial work or skilled work that is widespread and standardised. The RMT/ASLEF is in the position of strength that they are because this isn't true of the railways. You probably could easily replace people in the ticket booths but if the trains can't run because they find enough skilled people to run the signalling systems and drive the trains then these temps are just getting paid money to sit and stare blankly at the wall. (Hell even Shapp or Rabb could do that at a pinch).
The people who have the sort of jobs where they can be replaced by a phone call tend not to strike because they know they can be replaced with a phone call.

The aim of the law change is twofold:

1. For the purpose of the rail dispute the aim will be to get as many ancillary staff in as possible., Remember, scabs and managers will be working and they will want to run as many trains as they can. Stations need cleaning, opening and closing and tickets sold etc.
2. The real purpose however is to prepare the ground for strikes in the public sector where there might be thousands of admin grades, security guards, canteen staff, carers etc out. The same applies in the private sector. When we were last on strike management knew our jobs couldn't be done by agency workers, but they also knew managers and scabs would want to come in: they wanted agency workers to assist them to keep a basic operation moving which would have undermined our leverage.

As you say, whilst the the effect on the rail dispute will be minimal, its actually a pernicious targeted attack on the right to strike and to withdraw labour, it raises the risk of confrontation on picket lines and it is likely to result in deeper exploitation of migrant labour. The Tories have long wanted to remove this law and, in effect, have clearly been emboldened and learned from their friends in P&O what a critical tool it can be in breaking workers.

There's some truth to this, but it is also the case there's been some determined and effective strike action in recent years by groups of workers like cleaners (including cleaners organised through the RMT), where the threat of replacing them would be a lot more serious. But still, the main point stands that there's no way they can find fully trained-up signallers, and you would hope that they wouldn't try running the railways with untrained signallers... although the TSSA statement Puddy_Tat posted above is less than reassuring on that point.
When I was chatting to strikers this week, one of them was speculating about whether staff not covered by the strike would still have the right to refuse to work with agency workers doing safety-critical jobs under section 44 - I'm not enough of a legal expert to answer that, but if I was, for instance, a train driver in ASLEF I would definitely want to give it a go.

There's some truth to this, but it is also the case there's been some determined and effective strike action in recent years by groups of workers like cleaners (including cleaners organised through the RMT), where the threat of replacing them would be a lot more serious. But still, the main point stands that there's no way they can find fully trained-up signallers, and you would hope that they wouldn't try running the railways with untrained signallers... although the TSSA statement Puddy_Tat posted above is less than reassuring on that point.
When I was chatting to strikers this week, one of them was speculating about whether staff not covered by the strike would still have the right to refuse to work with agency workers doing safety-critical jobs under section 44 - I'm not enough of a legal expert to answer that, but if I was, for instance, a train driver in ASLEF I would definitely want to give it a go.

It doesn’t take much for a driver to refuse to take a train into service tbh. Which is a good thing for the safety of the driver and public. A lack of confidence in the abilities of whoever prepared the train would definitely fall into the remit of refusal to work.

Seems that if you suffer from motion sickness you can have some land based scabbing...

View attachment 328808
Portugese baggage handlers too:

The thing is, we already have safety critical jobs going to agency workers and min wage untrained casual staff. Who do you think is handling your food? Who do you think is handling the food of your loved one who has a deadly allergy?

No and deaths as a result of casualisation would not be a novel development either.

As Dystopiary says, Simon was doing a dangerous job he had no training for because he'd been told it was that or lose his benefits and go hungry.

No and deaths as a result of casualisation would not be a novel development either.

As Dystopiary says, Simon was doing a dangerous job he had no training for because he'd been told it was that or lose his benefits and go hungry.
That's a really good website thanks for that link. Absolutely heartbreaking what happened to him.

I knew Simon and some of those who campaigned following his killing. He was in my thoughts when this stupid 'bring in the casuals' talk started; thanks very much for posting the link to remind people what happens when corners are cut.

All the best - Louis MacNeice

Coventry council are doing this already by using scabs to cover their bin lorry drivers strike. Not sure if they found a loop hole in the existing law but they seem to be getting away with it.

Business Secretary Kwasi Kwarteng said:

“In light of militant trade union action threatening to bring vital public services to a standstill, we have moved at speed to repeal these burdensome,1970s - style restrictions.

“From today, businesses exposed to disruption caused by strike action will be able to tap into skilled, temporary workers to provide the services that allow honest, hardworking people to get on with their lives. That’s good news for our society and for our economy.”

While this law change will provide greater flexibility to businesses, companies will still be required to abide by broader health and safety rules that keep employees and the public safe. In addition, it will be the responsibility of individual businesses to hire temporary workers with the correct and suitable skillset and/or qualifications to meet the obligations of the role.

Secretary of State for Transport, Grant Shapps said:

“While next week’s rail strikes will come too soon to benefit from this legislation, it’s an important milestone reflecting the government’s determination to minimise the power of union bosses.

“For too long unions have been able to hold the country to ransom with the threat of industrial action but this vital reform means any future strikes will cause less disruption and allow hardworking people to continue with their day to day lives.”

The government has also changed the law today to raise the maximum damages that courts can award against a union, when strike action has been found by the court to be unlawful. For the biggest unions, the maximum award will rise from £250,000 to £1 million.

The changes apply across England, Scotland and Wales.

Back
Top Bottom