Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Strike breaking law

I wonder how they define picket line

It's the strike, not the actual physical picket line as such that matters.

Can any striking Unison members in Leeds come and stand outside my door at 8am on Monday morning, please? Would like a chance to show some solidarity

Unless Unison have a mandate to strike at your place of employment that's not how it works.

Can any striking Unison members in Leeds come and stand outside my door at 8am on Monday morning, please? Would like a chance to show some solidarity
Are you in a job role where you could join Unison? Or if you're in Unison and it's another lot who're striking, are you in a job role where you can join them? Tbf, if there's a physical picket line then just getting up a bit early and saying hello, wearing a sticker in solidarity and so on is also good. But not if you're working from home, I suppose.

Are you in a job role where you could join Unison? Or if you're in Unison and it's another lot who're striking, are you in a job role where you can join them? Tbf, if there's a physical picket line then just getting up a bit early and saying hello, wearing a sticker in solidarity and so on is also good. But not if you're working from home, I suppose.
I'm in Unison but have not been instructed nor polled on striking. they voted to accept their pay deals (though I voted the other way)

I'm in Unison but have not been instructed nor polled on striking. they voted to accept their pay deals (though I voted the other way)
Oh, so is this you being in a non-striking workplace and wanting to show solidarity with health workers then? Yeah, definitely don't think you'd be able to actually strike yourself but getting down to any picket lines that are within reasonable distance would be a good thing to do.

Oh, so is this you being in a non-striking workplace and wanting to show solidarity with health workers then? Yeah, definitely don't think you'd be able to actually strike yourself but getting down to any picket lines that are within reasonable distance would be a good thing to do.
hard to do when you're at work :(

^ that.

secondary industrial action (striking in sympathy / support with workers at another workplace) was made illegal by the thatcher government. striking is only legal if it's an action against your employer - although where there's a national agreement, it can be against multiple employers (e.g. across the local government sector)

the law is a bit fuzzy round how many pickets you can have on a picket line - some strikers are welcoming support from other people, some are being cautious and asking other people not to come along and join in.

strikemap is showing picket lines - some are overlapping with 'regular' working hours, but in shift working places, they may have a presence early morning and / or evening as well.

there are also probably strike funds seeking donations.

Consultation on the strike restrictions law opened :

We are publicly consulting on the most appropriate approach for delivering minimum service levels for passenger rail services.

Minimum service levels (MSLs) aim to limit the impacts of strike action on the lives and livelihoods of the public and to strike a balance between the ability of unions and their members to take strike action with the need for the wider public to be able to access key services during strikes.

We welcome views from anyone that wishes to reply. We will give due regard to consultation responses and move to ensure that regulations are laid as soon as practicable to be in place in the event of future strike action.

We have also published a report into Rail strikes and understanding the impact on passengers.

I'll post this from RailUK now that the Bill has passed.

Unions welcome the government scrapping the minimum service act:

Quote '
The Strikes (Minimum Service Levels) Act was introduced by the Conservative government last year in response to a wave of strikes prompted by rows over pay, jobs and conditions. However, the powers had never been used by employers or resolved a single dispute.

Source:

Back
Top Bottom