Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Stonehenge Tunnel Poll

Should they dig the tunnel

• Total voters
I must go this way 10 times a year and did a round trip at the weekend. I feel like I know the entire 303 like the back of my hand.

Cant see it doing much for traffic unless the tunnel also eliminates the traffic light controlled roundabout at Amesbury; even if it did it would just move the pinch point a few miles west to Winterbourne Stoke.

Edit - just googled the plans and it would also involve bypassing WS and presumably rejoining the existing dualled area a mile or so on from WS

From a selfish perspective I love being able to look at the stones as I drive past as have some good memories of going with a friend.

The plan includes a by pass for Winterbourne Stoke.

Likewise, I use the A303 quite a bit. If I'm going west on a Friday, I avoid it and go via Salisbury to avoid the traffic jam.

Build it. Just build it right, with all the archaeology done properly. Phil Harding could do it. It's just up the road from him.

At the moment, the traffic interferes with the enjoyment and surroundings of Stonehenge.

Either that, or close the A303.

Will the construction and operation of this tunnel present more or less of a risk to the site than the current route of the road? I vaguely remember hearing that vibration from traffic was causing problems, so if a tunnel will help then I'm all in favour.

Will the construction and operation of this tunnel present more or less of a risk to the site than the current route of the road? I vaguely remember hearing that vibration from traffic was causing problems, so if a tunnel will help then I'm all in favour.
My concern is that tunnel building is very destructive, and takes up a much wider area than just the tunnel itself. The area around Stonehenge is so rich in archaeology much more than the stones themselves, and as techniques and technology improve more and more is being learned about the wider ritual landscape.

Of course building work happens all the time and we have to balance the needs of the community with the academic advantages, and of course excavations are lost beneath roads and car parks and office blocks and that’s life. But this is such an important site and so much more than just the monument itself that I worry for what will be lost.

Was all in favour of preserving the magnificence of the site, but then this came along....

View attachment 412909

Knock 'em down and grind 'em up to be used as hardcore for the new road.
If you ask me, all this meddling with the sacred landscape is playing with fire; it’s only a matter of time before the vengeful spirit of a Bronze Age shaman is roused from their 4,000 year sleep and starts to stalk the land and wreak a dreadful revenge on everyone in the locality, innocent motorists just passing through the vicinity will have ancient beakers flung at high speeds through their windscreens – and you can bet the insurance companies won’t pay out, they'll just say 'nutter'. The only winners in this sorry affair will be auto glass repair firms

It would be cheaper to just move the stones . In a few thousand years no one will remember where they were before

Quite a lot already seem to think they are there already TBH but if they moved them to near Windsor or Bath, the tour companies and a large proportion of international tourists would find it a lot more convenient for packing these three "must see" places into one day. :)

Last edited:
Quite a lot already seem to think they are there already TBH but if they moved them to near Windsor or Bath, the tour companies and a large proportion of international tourists would find it a lot more convenient for packing these three "must see" places into one day. :)
That might actually be a way of protecting the archeology! (Not entirely serious. But I am a bit. I’m open to being convinced).

My concern is that tunnel building is very destructive, and takes up a much wider area than just the tunnel itself. The area around Stonehenge is so rich in archaeology much more than the stones themselves, and as techniques and technology improve more and more is being learned about the wider ritual landscape.

Of course building work happens all the time and we have to balance the needs of the community with the academic advantages, and of course excavations are lost beneath roads and car parks and office blocks and that’s life. But this is such an important site and so much more than just the monument itself that I worry for what will be lost.

Unless they have to be blasting through solid rock, I'm not sure that constructing a tunnel would be any more destructive than typical construction works, which to my understanding do not necessarily rule out future discoveries, whether during construction or afterwards.

I would hope that any tunnel construction work would be planned in consultation with archaeological experts, so that care is taken during construction and any discoveries made in the course thereof are dealt with appropriately.

Doing some digging (heh) online, professional opinion seems somewhat divided. The Council for British Archaeology are opposed to the plans as they currently stand, as they apparently think the proposed tunnel isn't long enough. On the other hand, Historic England, the National Trust and and English Heritage have welcomed an ICOMOS/UNESCO report which recognises the benefits of a tunnel of at least 2.9km in length. I have been unable to determine the opinion of the British Archaeological Association.

An archaeologist's view

Back
Top Bottom