Votes: 27 10.0%
  • 55k-70k

Votes: 18 6.6%
  • 70k-100k

Votes: 15 5.5%
  • 100k+

Votes: 31 11.4%

• Total voters
Yeah they are ridiculous in some places. One of mine is in Manchester and her shared 5 person house is about £40k a year in total.

I've always hated student landlords, but I think I'd actually help build the scaffold and source the rope these days.
Send me the bill for the wood it will be cheaper than what its costing me now

Ms Idaho is a soft touch. She also has parents who are both reasonable well off and generous having retired on gold plated public sector final salary pensions, so is culturally accustomed to parents picking up the tab. I've tried to suggest that we are not in the financial position to do likewise ... (fly overhead gesture....)
my parents are similar, and i have had to consult the "bank of mum and dad" a few tiems over the past few years which makes me feel absoloutly wretched tbh. but that's kind of what families are for at times, i guess.

Some of my friends have elderly parents who're having to get to grips with budgeting and paying bills etc for the first time due to the death/incapacity of their long-term partners. I'm really surprised some people here have never done any household budgeting as I thought this was something that just affected the older generation. :confused: (Not everyone in the older generation but quite a number from my recent experience.)

I don't know how to budget, per se. I just have a "Stingy Mode = On" switch for when I'm out of work that does the job well enough. I think it depends on the person. If you're perfectly able to not go out all week, just read a book from the library to amuse yourself, and eat basic meals and still be content then you probably don't need an actual budget and you can just wing it unless your unemployment becomes long-term. Which it thankfully never has for me.

Some of my friends have elderly parents who're having to get to grips with budgeting and paying bills etc for the first time due to the death/incapacity of their long-term partners. I'm really surprised some people here have never done any household budgeting as I thought this was something that just affected the older generation. :confused: (Not everyone in the older generation but quite a number from my recent experience.)

Guess it comes down to time. If you have enough to cover the bills and lifestyle you wish to lead, plus some left over for a rainy day, why budget? My retired dad has time on his hands to snare a deal that saves him 0.2%pa on is gas bill and so on, I don't care as it's not a good use of my time to spend 10 hours to save fifty quid.

Guess it comes down to time. If you have enough to cover the bills and lifestyle you wish to lead, plus some left over for a rainy day, why budget? My retired dad has time on his hands to snare a deal that saves him 0.2%pa on is gas bill and so on, I don't care as it's not a good use of my time to spend 10 hours to save fifty quid.
How do you know you've enough to cover bills etc though without knowing about your household budget? How much you've got coming in, what's going out when, whether you want to transfer money to a savings account or whatever? Am I the only person with a spreadsheet...? :eek:

How do you know you've enough to cover bills etc though without knowing about your household budget? How much you've got coming in, what's going out when, whether you want to transfer money to a savings account or whatever? Am I the only person with a spreadsheet...? :eek:
I have a spreadsheet with main outgoings, that I update sporadically, as a way of keeping an eye on things and having a list I can work through occasionally to see if I can switch providers and save money etc. But I'm lucky enough at the moment not to need to budget much day to day - I transfer spending money into a separate account each month, I know I have enough money left to deal with the direct debits and have some left to build up savings. So I only need to keep a vague eye on my spending account and that usually means just being a bit tight the final week of the month.

Whether I have any money left in my account at the end of the month.

financial genius

I use a program called Quicken to track how much money I have and where it is, however since all my monthly income is paid into my Natwest current account, the mere fact that I have money left in at the end of each month is proof that my incomings is more than enough to cover my outgoings. I have a Nationwide current account as well that I use as a buffer by transferring money once a month to it from the Natwest one. Then fixed annual bills like car tax/insurance or regular but not monthly bills like council tax get paid from it. This way I get all the benefits of paying my car tax/insurance monthly without the extra cost of doing so.

Started a new job last year. I also found out, when I was offered the job, that there's only half an hour for lunch. So I negotiated an hour for lunch, otherwise I'd be earning an hourly rate that's less than I was earning in the late 1990s in my late 20s. My salary is due to go up from £24k to £25k at the end of this month if I successfully pass my probationary period.

I don't expect any big pay rises or promotions any time soon either.

Two guys who I work with walk to and from work every day, 2.5 miles here, 2.5 miles back, which Google maps reckons takes an hour to walk each way. They do it every single day even in the pissing down rain.

I'm super lucky my housing costs are low, (bought my ex-council flat under the Right to Buy about 10 years ago), otherwise I might have to walk too and from work in the rain too, which is too grim a prospect for me to bear thinking about.

I've mentioned in another thread that the prospect of retirement terrifies me - no real pension provision, temped in offices for a bit chunk of my twenties, was out of work for four years after an accident and medical negligence while having surgeries, which left a massive gap in my CV and seems to have had a longer lasting adverse impact on my earning prospects, as employers look at a gappy CV and don't want to hire, so you end up getting short-term contracts, which creates even more gaps between jobs, which makes your CV even more happy and off-putting.

Anyway, I digress. Am long-term single so don't have anyone to share household expenses. And being neurodivergent with executive dysfunction traits coupled with poor impulse control (and being a bit vulnerable/a bit of a mug) means I'm not very good with household finances and budgeting and stuff. I don't budget, basically. If I have money in my bank account I think it's fair game for spending. Although I have got a main account and pocket money account.

I just spend my money until the machine says no.
(All my bills go out on the day I get paid. Otherwise I’d be in big trouble)

Everything goes in the credit card and that gets paid off each month. If I need to dip into savings to do it , I've spent too much.
It's that because you get kickbacks on spending on the credit card? We only seem to use the credit card to book holidays.

I have never had a savings account and I’m 50. Also ND and have poor impulse control.
Have always gone on holiday with whatever I have left in my account.
When i get letters about being overdrawn, it always amused me when they ask me to pay money into my account from elsewhere, cos there’s never been an elsewhere! So I don’t open them anymore. :D

My finances used to be calamitous, every month I would feel like I was about to go bankrupt but I ran up a bit of credit card debt and have implemented a new regime with some actual budgeting and it seems to be working.

I’m still in the same pay category but I’ve moved jobs and taken a pay cut.

I have never had a savings account and I’m 50. Also ND and have poor impulse control.
Have always gone on holiday with whatever I have left in my account.
When i get letters about being overdrawn, it always amused me when they ask me to pay money into my account from elsewhere, cos there’s never been an elsewhere! So I don’t open them anymore. :D
I have a long time friend who was brought up by a single mother and money was always tight for them, She's dead now but she was a very quick witted lady.
The leccy kept sending her letters about the debt she owed so she rang them up and told them "Listen if you don't stop harassing me about this bill, you won't even go in the draw to get paid next time"

It's one my NY things to start budgeting to make my money go further.

Up till now I've just stuck all the fixed bill money in a separate account with DDs and winged the rest.

I have a long time friend who was brought up by a single mother and money was always tight for them, She's dead now but she was a very quick witted lady.
The leccy kept sending her letters about the debt she owed so she rang them up and told them "Listen if you don't stop harassing me about this bill, you won't even go in the draw to get paid next time"
When I got into financial difficulties some years I agreed to pay each creditor a certain amount each month. Any spare money each month was paid to the creditor that complained least. :)

I have a spreadsheet detailing all transactions from last year with an adjusted average monthly spend (taking out larger txns like cars and holidays) and a projection of how long my money will last at current spending rates. I've also done a rough calculation of that but also including things like average premium bonds prizes over the past five years (tricky cos the rate keeps changing) and projections if I do things like cancel the Sky subscription. Those txns are all categorised by area too (which didn't really help tbh).

When I was working that sheet also included projected savings amounts, based on average savings over the period of the sheet (which was about three years). Unfortunately I've lost that somewhere. I think I forgot to forward it to myself from my work filing system. It's kind of irrelevant now, but still annoying.

Anyway, if you know anybody who needs somebody to track finances just let me know. 😁

Income unchanged, likely to drop as I’m reluctant to work overtime at the moment. Having a few expensive years at the moment where I am spending more than I earn, which is challenging. But that’s due to life factors. Am paying off a 0% credit card very slowly.

Anyone working in IT for a company you've heard of is making at least 100k, even developers and designers.

Mate, they really aren't.

They really are. I work in IT, our salaries are set at market rate and adjusted every year so we don't lose staff to better-paying companies. With bonus and share options (standard in the industry) it's around 150k/year. And if you work for Facebook, Apple, Google, Amazon, etc. it's even higher. And this is the people doing the grunt work, not management.
I think you have quite a skewed view here. I'm quite senior at a company you've definitely heard of, and I earn less than £100k. I have a fairly good understanding of the overall market.

£100k+ is definitely achievable for senior software engineers and above - go look at job ads for Monzo, Spotify and the like. Sometimes even more so for US employers recruiting internationally, and with 'Big Tech' or FAANG etc, all bets are off. But I would also say it's unusual, even for big name companies. And that's developers in skill shortage areas who command a premium whereas many of the other industry roles do not.

I would say the typical UK salary in software development, when you take average seniority and all the rest, is anywhere between £50-80k. Your "company you've heard of" filter often pushes it upwards a fair bit but it's not universal.

I only earn between 400 and 900 quid a month, and it varies due to how many days i work in a month after school holidays and passengers taking time off, etc. I have a pension from my last job which bumps up my income considerably, but overall i don't think i earn much more than about £20k. I won't know the exact figure until the year is over though. Until 2020 I was on 43k so there has been some adjustment. I don't do any budgeting because i still have most of my redundancy money in the bank and so i pretty much buy what i need to buy without having to worry about whether i can afford it. Obviously, eventually this is going to change and I'm going to have to become much more careful.

No you're not the only one.
We've recently switched from OH's fly by the seat of your pants and if you've got it spend it frontloading of expenditure but run out halfway between paydays no budget method of living, to my spreadsheet and recording everything method - and we're managing better as a result.

People who earn like a lot probably don't need to, but we don't get all our bills paid without someone working out a budget and keeping track of income and expenditure.

12,300 . They leave you alone when know you will hurt people up to the point of stabbing them in the head. For being anoying

Back
Top Bottom