Votes: 27 10.0%
  • 55k-70k

Votes: 17 6.3%
  • 70k-100k

Votes: 15 5.6%
  • 100k+

Votes: 31 11.5%

• Total voters
I have absolutely no idea either. We co-own a business and although I fully understand the operational P&L and COS, the accounts are complicated by spend on the company vehicle and by putting permissible spend like mobility kit through the company books. We take salary and dividends up to the higher rate tax thresholds if we can, and any surplus should go into pensions, in theory, but then that spend goes into next year’s accounts. So I never quite understand how much profit is retained and how it correlates to cash at hand, and I have to take all my accountant’s advice on trust. And there is no single figure which would ever satisfactorily answer the total annual income question.

Being flippant, I suspect my accountant knows, and probably HMRC does, as well.
But as long as an adequate income continues to arrive, on a regular basis I'm not too bothered by the exact details.

I do remember that when the "get your private pension" was being touted in the mid-1980s I told the sales team I wasn't especially interested / bothered. The reason being that my OH was in the Teacher's [gold-plated] Pension scheme, and that nothing they could sell me would come close ... and that was the case, and still is.

In fact, now we've paid off the last of the mortgage [all repayment, I'm not daft] we actually have enough money to do most of the things we want, after coughing up for energy, food, basic car, etc.

Apparently I didn't vote in this last time round, but I would've had to change my vote if I did, cos got a pay rise in August that took me from the top end of the Proper Salt of the Earth Working Class bracket (20k-25k) to the bottom end of the Objectively Bourgeois one (25k-30k). Also I think my employer would like me to include the contribution that they generously pay into my pension as being part of my income but they can fuck off with that. And I do live in a five-person house, so I suppose depending on how you measure household you could argue that our total household income is over 100k, don't think that means very much though.

Apparently I didn't vote in this last time round, but I would've had to change my vote if I did, cos got a pay rise in August that took me from the top end of the Proper Salt of the Earth Working Class bracket (20k-25k) to the bottom end of the Objectively Bourgeois one (25k-30k). Also I think my employer would like me to include the contribution that they generously pay into my pension as being part of my income but they can fuck off with that. And I do live in a five-person house, so I suppose depending on how you measure household you could argue that our total household income is over 100k, don't think that means very much though.
Household income is you and any partners and or dependents, not flatmates. At least that's how I always interpreted it.

Oh ok, just had a look and mines jumped up to the next segment. Which makes sense, it 'feels' like I have the same amount of money I did in 2022

Household income is you and any partners and or dependents, not flatmates. At least that's how I always interpreted it.
Yeah, think you're probably right there. Still feels like a weird concept though - if I lived with a partner who had a similar job to me and we had two kids, that actually would double my household income, but I don't think I'd be any wealthier. Or maybe in some wanky abstract "raising a child is the greatest treasure" way, but not in the actual having more money way.

Proper Salt of the Earth Working Class bracket (20k-25k) to the bottom end of the Objectively Bourgeois one (25k-30k).
Stealing that phrase and passing it off as my own
Youngest Q is 21 (22 in May) and I am still supporting her whilst she is at Uni to the tune of several thousand a year for living expenses (especially rent which is just plain daft now).
God knows how those kids that don't have a parent able and willing to cough up manage.
It occurred to me that all I get in return is being called Dad yet that seems enough.

Is this poll meant to be for household income, as I don't have a clue how much Mrs Shoes earns?

Is that usual? Mrs Loom and I have a very clear idea of how much each of us have saved and are earning. I don’t see how household budgeting and financial planning conversations could happen otherwise.

I don’t think it’s overly romantic to believe that all money in a marriage is essentially joint, whoever happens to be looking after it.

Is that usual? Mrs Loom and I have a very clear idea of how much each of us have saved and are earning. I don’t see how household budgeting and financial planning conversations could happen otherwise.

I don’t think it’s overly romantic to believe that all money in a marriage is essentially joint, whoever happens to be looking after it.

I've never known how much she earns. I've always been the main breadwinner and my earnings go into the joint account. Her earnings go into her account and she pays for our holidays.

I've never done any household budgeting.

We don’t budget in the sense of building a baroque spready with quarterly category spend forecasts, but earnings and cash at hand come up in conversations about whether we should replace an uncomfortable sofa, or sell one of the children, or convert the chimney into an observatory, and who should pay for it.

Maybe this is a K&S conversation rather than a P&P one, though.

I've never known how much she earns. I've always been the main breadwinner and my earnings go into the joint account. Her earnings go into her account and she pays for our holidays.

Yep, same here.
Things have changed a bit since our income fell dramatically last year, and I now have my own current account, into which my monthly pocket money is paid.

That seems strange to me. I don't know precisely how much Ms Idaho earns, but I know approximately.

I'm earning about a quarter of what I earned two years ago. I'd estimate our household income has dropped from around £80k to under £40k. I previously earned almost double what she did. She's going to up her hours next year, partly to try and bump up her pension and she'll be earning three times as much as me.

There’s only Mrs Numbers and I, I earn more than her but everything is 50/50, always has been and always will be.

i now (have to) budget for every penny. this has been strangely freeing. i quite like feeling restricted financially at times, simplifies life, gives it a strange sort of structure. do other things that don't require splug. can definitely see why a lot of the greeks, saints etc preferred poverty to endless wealth. never been so skint in my life (though i earn faily good money), but life just as full if not fuller.

The Q's are pretty much the same, Mrs Q was a full-time Mum from about 1988 to 1998 and a part-time Mum from about 2002-2004ish so I was the only/main breadwinner for those periods. That's continued till today even though she has now worked full-time for 15-20 years. My income goes into the joint account and hers goes into hers. I pay for day to day living expenses and she pays for 'nice to haves'. I know roughly what Mrs Q earns because she has told me but I've never asked.
Since I went self-employed it's become a bit more convoluted anyway. Mrs Q's annual salary has a fairly senior teacher is about twice the salary I pay myself but Q Enterprises pays frequent dividends in a 70/30 split to me and her.

That seems strange to me. I don't know precisely how much Ms Idaho earns, but I know approximately.

I'm earning about a quarter of what I earned two years ago. I'd estimate our household income has dropped from around £80k to under £40k. I previously earned almost double what she did. She's going to up her hours next year, partly to try and bump up her pension and she'll be earning three times as much as me.

indeed. If my income went down significantly we'd need to start having these discussions. But till then we'll make do on what I earn. We're not extravagant in our living.

When the children go off to university and we have to start funding them, finances may need to be examined

indeed. If my income went down significantly we'd need to start having these discussions. But till then we'll make do on what I earn. We're not extravagant in our living.

When the children go off to university and we have to start funding them, finances may need to be examined
It's getting worse, I had to chip in a couple of K a year when Son went off to Uni in 2008, Middle went in 2011 but lived at home so mostly I just had to sub bus fares. I reckon this academic year I might hit the £10K mark underwriting Youngest though.
Rents especially are just fucking bonkers now, if they can study and live at home it will save you a mint.

One of mine has finished and the other two are halfway through. Fortunately we organised all the money before I quit my old job (in fact the main reason I could quit).

The finisher is now back home and gently looking for gainful employment and therefore a way to get out of boring Exeter and to live somewhere interesting.

The amount you can earn before paying 40% tax has risen, so my salary has risen in line with that. Frau Bahn's hasn't as she also earns from her bookkeeping business which seems to have boomed in the past 18 months. Helping BB1 out with university living expenses means we're not exactly bathing in Champagne though.

One of mine has finished and the other two are halfway through. Fortunately we organised all the money before I quit my old job (in fact the main reason I could quit).
Our only child left Uni a couple of years ago, and now earns only a couple of grand a year less than me.
Given mrs mx has no income since she got made redundant last year, I was a little surprised to discover that we are still paying for her contact lenses and phone.

Our only child left Uni a couple of years ago, and now earns only a couple of grand a year less than me.
Given mrs mx has no income since she got made redundant last year, I was a little surprised to discover that we are still paying for her contact lenses and phone.
Ms Idaho is a soft touch. She also has parents who are both reasonable well off and generous having retired on gold plated public sector final salary pensions, so is culturally accustomed to parents picking up the tab. I've tried to suggest that we are not in the financial position to do likewise ... (fly overhead gesture....)

Back
Top Bottom