Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Statue of Thatcher to Go Up in Lincolnshire

You've reminded me of the time someone showed my Hungarian colleague the Moomin thing. "We do not have such things in Hungary. The Moomin is alien to the Hungarian soul".
And that reminds me of the time a Hungarian cook in a kitchen my girlfriend used to work in claimed that "there are no gays in Hungary!".

And that reminds me of the time a Hungarian cook in a kitchen my girlfriend used to work in claimed that "there are no gays in Hungary!".
I once had a long conversation with a Chinese friend that claimed there were no gays in China. I managed to get her to concede that there were foreign gay people in China and that Chinese people could be gay when not in China but she was adamant that there were no gay Chinese people in China.

I once had a long conversation with a Chinese friend that claimed there were no gays in China. I managed to get her to concede that there were foreign gay people in China and that Chinese people could be gay when not in China but she was adamant that there were no gay Chinese people in China.

Have met people from some of the more right wing/authoritarian places who say similar stuff. It's quite astonishing and sad that they are adamant about this.

That sounds like my mates wife insisting she would be able to drive a car without needing any lessons “because she’s Chinese”. I couldn’t work out if it was blind confidence or supreme arrogance.

That sounds like my mates wife insisting she would be able to drive a car without needing any lessons “because she’s Chinese”. I couldn’t work out if it was blind confidence or supreme arrogance.
Well they do tend to buy driving licenses rather than pass tests or at least used to.

Reactions: tim
I hear a lot of different things about Thatcher. Some people seem to blame her for everything, to others she was one of the best PMs this country has ever seen. The UK was certainly in an absolute state by the Winter of Discontent and the end of the 1970s.

Why is Thatcher hated so much? She closed the mines, but they were on the way out anyway eh? Would it have been sustainable to still be mining today? I understand she did it in a devastating way that destroyed communities- how should it have been done? Other than this, how did Thatchers policies cause such massive unemployment on the one hand and a booming economy on the other?

You'll find-or would have found- the same results with churchill once. Those who hate her and the politics she espoused are those who were and continue to be crushed under them. They were both deeply reactionary anti community, whites first 'a master shall have his say in his own house' monsters. No amount of statuary or soft soap bbc propaganda can change the historical record. We know what they did. People are of course free to venerate the constructed identities offered up by hagiographers, but thats up to them.

I hear a lot of different things about Thatcher. Some people seem to blame her for everything, to others she was one of the best PMs this country has ever seen. The UK was certainly in an absolute state by the Winter of Discontent and the end of the 1970s.

Why is Thatcher hated so much? She closed the mines, but they were on the way out anyway eh? Would it have been sustainable to still be mining today? I understand she did it in a devastating way that destroyed communities- how should it have been done? Other than this, how did Thatchers policies cause such massive unemployment on the one hand and a booming economy on the other?
I find it hard to believe that you've been arguing about politics on this board for 20 years and don't know the answer to these questions tbh

I understand she did it in a devastating way that destroyed communities- how should it have been done?
In a way that didn't destroy communities. We're still importing coal, btw.

Edit: scrap that first sentence. The idea that there was any environmental impetus behind what happened is stupid and and I shouldn't entertain it at all.

%2Fmethode%2Ftimes%2Fprodmigration%2Fweb%2Fbin%2F08d14be0-e473-3056-bb99-e20f01382e19.jpg

Mines, destruction of industry generally, poll tax, section 28, ending the building of council houses, running everything public into the ground. All done without even a hint of compassion.

You’re in Leeds, surely you can remember how bad it had got there for crime by the mid-90s, burglary, addiction, burnt out cars on every available bit of green space. They abandoned us. It’s not forgotten.

Mines, destruction of industry generally, poll tax, section 28, ending the building of council houses, running everything public into the ground. All done without even a hint of compassion.

You’re in Leeds, surely you can remember how bad it had got there for crime by the mid-90s, burglary, addiction, burnt out cars on every available bit of green space. They abandoned us. It’s not forgotten.
Somebody from Leeds isn't entirely sure why Thatcher is despised? Have they been living in an hermetically sealed pod or something?

Another valid reason for hating her? Her refusal to treat Irish political prisoners as such and her callous indifference to their deaths.

"There is no such thing as society." A valid philosophical point in some ways perhaps, but a scary thing for a prime minister to come out with. Far too easy to infer very dark conclusions from it. She was heavily influenced by Keith Joseph. This is what he had to say about the poor: "A high and rising proportion of children are being born to mothers least fitted to bring children into the world ... Some are of low intelligence, most of low educational attainment. They are unlikely to be able to give children the stable emotional background, the consistent combination of love and firmness ... They are producing problem children ... The balance of our human stock, is threatened." It's a not very thinly disguised argument for eugenics. It dovetails neatly with her 'no society' argument, which was that people shouldn't be subsidisesd by the state unless they paid into it. What she wanted was to get rid of the people who are too unlucky or feckless to pay in. No safety net for the sick and disabled and unemployed if they aren't a good investment. Pretty much the same as the benefits regime we have now. Its principal selling point is that it is tough, i.e. cruel. Some people will suffer great hardships and their lives will be shortened, i.e. they will be slowly killed by their government. In modern Britain this is a vote winner, because there are so many self-serving cunts. Did Thatcher change the values of the majority? Or did she just sense the change and make the most of it?

Back
Top Bottom