Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Statue of Thatcher to Go Up in Lincolnshire

I wonder how much the council (or whoever) will spend on cleaning the thing before they accept defeat?
Potentially the sculptor (Douglas Jennings) is on the hook for the maintenance.

If its the council they might be able to get a grant for it. Or find some other complicated way of funding the constant clean up. Although I also suspect a council that thought it was acceptable to put this statue up in the first place has a questionable attitude to public money and might be willing to drain their own budget indefinitely on this.

Potentially the sculptor (Douglas Jennings) is on the hook for the maintenance.

If its the council they might be able to get a grant for it. Or find some other complicated way of funding the constant clean up. Although I also suspect a council that thought it was acceptable to put this statue up in the first place has a questionable attitude to public money and might be willing to drain their own budget indefinitely on this.
It is a sign of a council more interested in what it thinks than what the people think.

Thatcher always was and still is a controvertial and divisive figure, loved by many of those who did well out of her, but often hated by everyone else.

It is surely bad form and a mark of municipal contempt when a council decides to honour someone so hated by so many.

Statues should be reserved for those widely admired by most of the population, and not for those who are hated by half the people. People don't hate for nothing.

I like the idea with the injection of some caustic chemical that eats it from the inside. Could do a nice job with a bit of filler and paint so that no one notices til she starts crumbling.

I mentioned this upthread, just needs to be salt.

Back
Top Bottom