Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

1%? Up yours! – We need health workers’ and patients’ power! – Invitation for a meeting, March 11

And most private sector workers aren't in a particularly great boat either. Both firmly stuck in the Suez canal mud.

Before the pandemic. I was due to start the first year of Nursing in University.

I left within the first 2 months as I realised the government were inept. They were reckless and they do not care about the NHS and anyone within it. I could not go into a career that could not provide PPE for their workers. It shook me to the core.
And now we find out that Hancock was getting back handers all along.

They called them essential workers, but I think they are fundamental to society.

Why can't we take the money it costs to protect the Royals, and put it back into our economy.

Yes - if they’ll put up posters for social care workers and for institutionalised people.

Who do I ask?

It does piss me off we get fuck all solidarity and are left to fight out own battles. I know I shouldn't resent it but I do even though I technically work for them at the moment.

The largest set of unfilled posts is qualified nurses.

Some Nurses I've spoken to, did not know what they were getting into. They never had any expirience withing the health sector. They left school, became Nurses and realised they did not like the job.

This creates apathy for the job. Which is then felt by those who need caring.

Some Nurses I've spoken to, did not know what they were getting into. They never had any expirience withing the health sector. They left school, became Nurses and realised they did not like the job.

This creates apathy for the job. Which is then felt by those who need caring.
That along with relatively poor pay and conditions for a round the click job requiring a degree and student debt.

There are two drivers of wage increases, public pressure on politicians and need to fill posts. Nurses benefit from both. There is no shortage of HCAs because NHS terms and conditions are better than the care sector. I never had any problems recruiting nursing assistants but I had to offer grades above those suggested by the pay settlement to retain staff. I also benefitted because I was similarly paid above grade to retain my services.

I dunno. I think many Tories do support the NHS. Certainly the ones I’ve spoken to do. Not all, obviously.

there is no ‘the NHS’ - either in organisation or in ‘values’. There are a plethora of NHS organisations; there are people who happy in the fantasy that the NHS is the triumph of post-Holocaust social democracy and liberal multiculturalism, and there are Tories, who see ‘the NHS’ for the monster that is and make use of it accordingly

Should NHS staff get a 15% (or higher) pay rise? Of course they should - it would be both deserved and necessary (loads of staff are just going to fuck off from the nhs otherwise). I don’t think you’ll make this happen by pretending that your not-at-all-capitalist health service is something that isn’t (and which everyone else can see)

Last edited:
How is the Scottish settlement different from nurses pay in France, India or Australia. There is no connection managerially between NHS Scotland and NHS England. Unison has no reason to treat the two as the same employer.
Well, I don't think many nurses in France, India or Australia are members of Unison, for one thing. Do you even have an argument here? Like, is it that you think English nurses should get a 10% pay rise but a 4% one is fine for those in Scotland, or what?

National NHS protests planned for July 3rd: Find your nearest | NHS Anniversary Protests 2021 – Keep Our NHS Public

The Healthworkers United initiative plugged at the start of this thread are making a leaflet for it, email them at healthworkersunited@protonmail.com if you'd like some.

Current list is:

Basildon | 11:00 start | Basildon Hospital (green by main entrance) | March to town centre
FB event:
Contact email address: jackiegilbey@yahoo.com

Birmingham | Time TBC | Victoria Square | Protest
Contact email address: mvriley81@hotmail.com

Blyth | 11:00 start | Blyth Market Square | Rally and march, followed by picnic in Ridley Park
FB event:
Contact email address: konpnortheast@gmail.com

Bournemouth | 11:00-13:00 | Bournemouth Square | Static protest or march
Contact email address: Debbiereynolds64@btinternet.com

Bristol | 11:00 start | College Green | March to Castle Park
FB event:
Contact email address: nursessaynobristol@gmail.com

Cardiff | 12:00 – 15:00 | Cardiff Central Railway Station
FB event:
Contact email address: Toveys_talkin@hotmail.co.uk

Chester | 11:00 – 15:00 | Countess of Chester Hospital | March and protest
Contact email address: Vanessa.harratt@gmail.com

Chorley | 10:00 – 12:00 | Chorley Hospital (Euxton Lane) | Picket and rally
FB event:
Contact email address: Jenny.hurley94@gmail.com

Chesterfield | 11:00 – 13:00 | Chesterfield Town Hall | Static protest
Contact email address: hilary.cave@hotmail.com (Chesterfield KONP)

Colchester | 11:00 start | St Botolph’s Priory | Protest and march
FB: NHS Anniversary Protest - COLCHESTER
Contact email address: hollynhs15@gmail.com

Coventry | 12:00 – 14:00 | Broadgate | Rally
FB event: RALLY for the NHS
Contact email address: dave@nellist.net

Dartmouth | 12:00 – 16:00 | Dartmouth and Kingswear Cottage Hospital | Community stall and activities
Contact email address: lynngunnigle@hotmail.co.uk

Derbyshire | 11:00 – 14:00 | Motorcade – Derbyshire hospitals and Derby Hospital
Contact email address: venables_keith@yahoo.co.uk

Exeter | 12:00 – 14:00 | Bedford Square | Protest, stall and leafleting
Contact email address: davejchappell@gmail.com

Huddersfield | 12:00 – 13:00 | Huddersfield Royal Infirmary | Static protest
Contact email address: mike.forster56@gmail.com

King’s Lynn | 12:00 – 14:00 | High Street (outside Burton’s) | Static protest
Contact email address: kingslynnanddistricttradescouncil@hotmail.co.uk

Ipswich | 11:00 start | Christ Church Mansion | March and protest
Contact email address: xylinahogan@hotmail.com
Facebook event: Protest for NHS pay Justice, Patient Safety and an End to Privatisation

Leeds | 11:00 – 12:30 | Millennium Square | Static protest
Contact email address: john.puntis@yahoo.co.uk

Leicester | 13:00 start | Nelson Mandela Park | Protest march into the city centre
Facebook event: Protest for a payrise for NHS workers. Leicester.
Contact email address: secretary@saveournhsleicestershire.org

London: Camden / Islington | 13:00 – 16:00 | St Pancras’ Gardens (near to King’s Cross) | Celebratory picnic with speeches and music
Contact email address: TBA
Register here: NHS Birthday Picnic

London: Ealing | 12:00 – 13:30 | Outside Ealing Hospital | Rally, speeches, songs and cakes!

London: Enfield | 11:00 – 13:00 | Outside Barclay’s Bank | Community stall and leafleting
Contact email address: defendenfieldnhs@gmail.com

London: Hammersmith | Leafleting 11:00 – 13:00 outside the Bush Theatre (W12 8LJ); then a picnic (weather permitting) in Hammersmith Park
Contact email address: scxandh@gmail.com

London – Lambeth | 11:00 – 13:00 | St Thomas’ Hospital (Westminster Bridge entrance)
Contact email address: lambethkonp@gmail.com

London – Lewisham | 14:00 – 16:00 | Outside Lewisham Hospital
Contact email address: savelewishamhospital@yahoo.com

London: Tooting | 11:00 – 12:00 | Static protest and community leafleting
Contact email address: killicktom@hotmail.com

Newcastle | 12:00 – 13:30 | Meet Royal Victoria Infirmary, march to Grey’s Monument| Protest and march
Contact email address: williamgeorgejarrett@gmail.com

Norwich | 14:00 – 16:00 | Chapelfield Park Bandstand | Rally followed by a march
FB event: Norwich protest for NHS pay justice, patient safety and an end to privatisation
Contact email address: cathyann74@btinternet.com / nanddpbp@gmail.com

Nottingham | 11:30 (march sets off 12 noon) | Market Square | March and rally
FB event: March for NHS Justice
Contact email address: nottskonpcampaign@hotmail.co.uk / D.ratchford@unison.co.uk

Peterborough | From 12:00 | Cathedral Square | Static protest
Facebook event: Peterborough #NHSPay15 Event
Contact email address: ginabeec@gmail.com

Plymouth | 11:00 – 13:00 | Static protest
Contact email address: Kimmylou79@icloud.com

Sheffield | 12:00 – 14:00 | Barker’s Pool | Protest and march
FB event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1735005510012776/
Contact email address: sheffieldhealthworkers@gmail.com / holly.johnston83.hj@gmail.com

Southampton | Protest from 10am, march from 12:30pm | Southampton General Hospital main entrance
Contact email address: maggiefricker@hotmail.co.uk

York | 11:00 – 12:30 | York Minster | Static protest
FB event: York - fight for 15% pay rise for NHS workers
Contact email address: malcolm1rich@gmail.com

Updated list - when I tried to post it it said it was too long for one post, which seems like a good sign:

List of events​

This list was last updated 30/06/2021 and will continue to be updated over time.

Basildon | 11:00 start | Basildon Hospital (green by main entrance) | March to town centre
FB event:
Contact email address: jackiegilbey@yahoo.com

Bath | 10:30 – 12:30 | Queen Square | Demonstration and street theatre
Contact email address: ponhsbanes@outlook.com

Bedford | 10:00 start | Bedford Hospital South Wing (Kempston Road entrance) | Static demo
Contact email address: jenny.feneley@gmail.com

Birmingham | 14:00 – 15:30 | Victoria Square | Protest / btuchcc@hotmail.com | Static demo and rally
Contact email address: btuchcc@hotmail.com

Blyth | 11:00 start | Blyth Market Square | Rally and march, followed by picnic in Ridley Park
FB event:
Contact email address: konpnortheast@gmail.com

Bournemouth | 11:00-13:00 | Bournemouth Square | Static protest or march
Contact email address: Debbiereynolds64@btinternet.com

Bristol | 11:00 start | College Green | March to Castle Park
FB event:
Contact email address: nursessaynobristol@gmail.com

Cambridge | 11:00 – 13:00 | Christ’s Pieces | Speeches, stall, display of 999 Call for the NHS Quilts
Contact email address: cambskonp@gmail.com

Cardiff |
12:00 – 15:00 | Cardiff Central Railway Station
FB event:
Contact email address: Toveys_talkin@hotmail.co.uk

Chester | 11:00 – 15:00 | Countess of Chester Hospital | March and protest
Contact email address: Vanessa.harratt@gmail.com

Carlisle | 12 noon – 13:00 | City Centre | Protest and rally
Facebook event:
Contact email address: cumbriahct@gmail.com

Chorley | 10:00 – 12:00 | Chorley Hospital (Euxton Lane) | Picket and rally
FB event: NHS 73rd Birthday Bash- This One's For Our Staff
Contact email address: Jenny.hurley94@gmail.com

Chesterfield | 11:00 – 13:00 | Chesterfield Town Hall | Static protest
Contact email address: hilary.cave@hotmail.com (Chesterfield KONP)

Colchester | Start at 12 noon | St Botolph’s Priory | Protest and march
FB: NHS Anniversary Protest - COLCHESTER
Contact email address: hollynhs15@gmail.com

Coventry | 12:00 – 14:00 | Broadgate | Rally
FB event: RALLY for the NHS
Contact email address: dave@nellist.net

Cromer (Norfolk) | 10:30 – 13:00 | Outside Cromer Church | Petitioning
FB event: NHS Fair Pay Petition
Contact email address: mbooth0853@outlook.com

Darlington | 11:30 – 13:00 | High Row, Darlington Town Centre | Community stall

Dartmouth | 12:00 – 16:00 | Dartmouth and Kingswear Cottage Hospital | Community stall and activities
Contact email address: lynngunnigle@hotmail.co.uk

Derbyshire | 11:00 – 14:00 | Motorcade – Derbyshire hospitals and Derby Hospital
Contact email address: venables_keith@yahoo.co.uk

Doncaster | 11:00 – 13:00 | Gate 4, Doncaster Royal Infirmary | Static demonstration
FB event: NHS Birthday - NHSPAY15 protest

Dorchester | 11:30 – 13:00 | Town Pump (South Street) | Static protest
Contact email address: lynne.hubbard9@gmail.com

Evesham (Worcestershire) | 11:00 – 13:00 | Top of Bridge Street (WR11 4RS) | Community stall
Contact email address: sijc@btinternet.com

Exeter | 12:00 – 14:00 | Bedford Square | Protest, stall and leafleting
Contact email address: davejchappell@gmail.com

Glasgow | From 12 noon | Doulton Fountain, Glasgow Green | Rally and community event
Facebook event: NHS 73 Birthday Celebration

Gloucester | Start 11:30| Opposite Royal Gloucester Hospital (Great Western Road) | Protest and possible procession
Contact email address: smpsusan.powell@gmail.com

Gorleston, Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft | From 14:00 | Outside James Paget Hospital |March for pay justice
Facebook event: NHS March for Pay Justice
Contact email address: xylinahogan@hotmail.com / kevinwingfield2007@gmail.com

Hastings | 12.00 – 13.30 | Outside Debenhams, Hastings Town Centre | Demonstration, possible march

Huddersfield | 12:00 – 13:00 | Huddersfield Royal Infirmary | Static protest
Contact email address: mike.forster56@gmail.com

Hull | From 12 noon | Queen Victoria Square | Static demo

King’s Lynn | 12:00 – 14:00 | High Street (outside Burton’s) | Static protest
Contact email address: kingslynnanddistricttradescouncil@hotmail.co.uk

Ipswich | 11:00 start | Christ Church Mansion | March and protest
Contact email address: xylinahogan@hotmail.com
Facebook event: Protest for NHS pay Justice, Patient Safety and an End to Privatisation

Isle of Wight (Ryde) | 11.00 – 13.30 | Anglesea Street, Ryde High St | Pop-up action and leafleting around GP data opt-out

Lancaster | From 13:00 | Royal Lancaster Infirmary / White Cross | Protest
Facebook event: Lancaster Rally: Protect our NHS on its 73rd Birthday! Sat 3rd July - National Day of Protest

Leamington Spa | | 11:00 – 13:00 | Leamington Town Hall | Community stall
FB event: Protest - Patient Safety, Pay Justice, End Privatisation
Contact email address: anna.pollert@gmail.com

Leeds | 11:00 – 12:30 | Millennium Square | Static protest
Contact email address: john.puntis@yahoo.co.uk

Leicester | 13:00 start | Gallowtree Gate | Static protest
Facebook event: Rally for the NHS, Leicester: for patient safety, pay justice & an end to privatisation.
Contact email address: secretary@saveournhsleicestershire.org

Liverpool | From 11:00 | St George’s Plateau | Static protest

London – Bexley: Sidcup | 11:30 – 13:00 | Queen Mary’s Hospital (green near Frognal Avenue entrance) | Static protest

London – Camden: UCLH | From 12 noon | University College Hospital (Euston) | March to Parliament Square
Facebook event: NHS Birthday - Protest for NHS pay justice, Patient Safety and an End to Privatisation

London: Ealing | 12:00 – 13:30 | Outside Ealing Hospital | Rally, speeches, songs and cakes!

London: Enfield | 11:00 – 13:00 | Outside Barclay’s Bank | Community stall and leafleting
Contact email address: defendenfieldnhs@gmail.com

London – Greenwich: Woolwich | 13:00 – 15:00 | Queen Elizabeth Hospital | Static demo

London: Hammersmith and Fulham | Leafleting 11:00 – 13:00 outside the Bush Theatre (W12 8LJ); then a picnic (weather permitting) in Hammersmith Park
Contact email address: scxandh@gmail.com

London – Lambeth | 11:00 – 13:00 | St Thomas’ Hospital (Westminster Bridge entrance) | Static protest and banner drop
Contact email address: lambethkonp@gmail.com

London – Lewisham | 14:00 – 16:00 | Outside Lewisham Hospital | Static protest and rally
Contact email address: savelewishamhospital@yahoo.com

London – Newham: Stratford | From 12 noon | Outside Stratford Station | Community stall and leafleting

London – Wandsworth: Tooting | 11:00 – 12:00 | St George’s Hospital | Static protest and community leafleting
Contact email address: killicktom@hotmail.com

London – Waltham Forest | From 13:00 | Whipps Cross Hospital (Whipps Cross Road entrance) | Rally and protest

Manchester | 11:00 – 12:00 | Piccadilly Gardens | Protest and speakers
FB event:

Margate | From 12 noon | QEQM Hospital in Margate (Ramsgate Road) | Rally
FB event:
Contact email address: saveournhskent@gmail.com

Newcastle | 12:00 – 13:30 | Meet Royal Victoria Infirmary, march to Grey’s Monument| Protest and march
Contact email address: williamgeorgejarrett@gmail.com

Norwich | 14:00 – 16:00 | Chapelfield Park Bandstand | Rally followed by a march
FB event:
Contact email address: cathyann74@btinternet.com / nanddpbp@gmail.com

Nottingham | 11:30 (march sets off 12 noon) | Market Square | March and rally
FB event:
Contact email address: nottskonpcampaign@hotmail.co.uk / D.ratchford@unison.co.uk

Peterborough | From 14:00 | Cathedral Square | Static protest
Facebook event:
Contact email address: ginabeec@gmail.com

Plymouth | 11:00 – 13:00 | Static protest
Contact email address: Kimmylou79@icloud.com

Portsmouth | 12 noon | Kings Theatre Southsea | Protest and march
Contact email address: defendnhsportsmouth@gmail.com

Reading | 11:30am, start 12 noon | Royal Berkshire Hospital | March and rally
FB event: NHS’s 73rd Birthday in Reading
Eventbrite event: NHS’s 73rd Birthday in Reading

Romsey | 10.30 – 12.00 | Market Place, Romsey | Community stall and leafleting

Sheffield | 12:00 – 14:00 | Barker’s Pool | Protest and march
FB event: https://www.facebook.com/events/1735005510012776/
Contact email address: sheffieldhealthworkers@gmail.com / holly.johnston83.hj@gmail.com

Southampton | AM event | From 10am | Southampton General Hospital main entrance | Protest
Contact email address: maggiefricker@hotmail.co.uk

Southampton | PM event | 12 noon – 13:30 | West Quay – Portland Terrace | Protest and banners
Contact email address: skeepnhspublic@gmail.com

Southport | 11:00 – 13:00 | Town Hall Gardens, Southport | Static protest
FB information: Facebook Groups

Stoke-on-Trent | 11:00 – 13:00 | Hanley Bus Station (ST1 3ED) | Static demo
FB event: Log in to Facebook
Contact email address: andybentley3@hotmail.co.uk

Sutton-in-Ashfield | 10:00 – 12 noon | King’s Mill Hospital (opposite the reservoir) | Protest

York | 11:00 – 12:30 | York Minster | Static protest
FB event: York - fight for 15% pay rise for NHS workers
Contact email address: malcolm1rich@gmail.com

Healthworkers' protest in London tomorrow:

*** MARCH & DEMO FOR A PROPER PAY RISE - ASSEMBLE AT UCH & ST THOMAS'S HOSPITALS, FRIDAY JULY 30, 5PM, TO MARCH ON DOWNING STREET
THE 3% AWARD FROM THE GOVERNMENT IS AN ABSOLUTE INSULT AND WILL CAUSE MORE INJURY TO AN ALREADY OVERWHELMED NHS. Staff have gone above and beyond, showing their worth during the pandemic and now they are on their knees.
This offer makes it clear that the government do not intend to invest in the future of the NHS or its staff. We are heading into another wave and have billions on waiting lists and we simply cannot do this without urgent prioritisation of recruitment and retention and to address the 100,000 vacancies we have.

From the Trust that threatened us with a disciplinary when we wanted to talk about the inadequacy of the PPE they were providing.

Obviously, I'm not suggesting that anyone should do such a thing, but I wonder if one of those would be much use as a projectile slung at a Chief Executive's head? Mind you, they're probably made out of plastic, so might be fairly harmless anyway.

By the way, my mate gave me a great description of the "instead of a payrise" gift box workers at a certain other NHS trust got issued with recently. I can't quite remember the specifics, but I think it was something like a £10 Footlocker voucher, a selection of some of them little sweets like parma violets and love hearts, and then iirc a bag of prawn cocktail crisps from a multipack.

By the way, my mate gave me a great description of the "instead of a payrise" gift box workers at a certain other NHS trust got issued with recently. I can't quite remember the specifics, but I think it was something like a £10 Footlocker voucher, a selection of some of them little sweets like parma violets and love hearts, and then iirc a bag of prawn cocktail crisps from a multipack.
That’s brilliant I love that :D (obviously I don’t love it, but it’s so exemplifies the entire fucking way the NHS treats its workers).

My example is when I was working on a COTE ward during a heat wave in 2018. Obviously the south facing windows don’t open more than inch else staff and patients alike would be throwing themselves out. It goes without saying that there isn’t any air con. And to add insult to injury (and I kid you not) the radiators in one of the bays were on due to a malfunction.

It was insanely hot. I mean actually fucking life threateningly hot. The ward should have been closed but there was simply nowhere for our elderly patients to go. One concession made was that patients with sepsis were moved to a different ward. Another was that fans were set up (although the H&S hooha about that due to demented patients with BPSD wandering constantly was something else).

But the best, the BEST concession was that every day the management team (and this still makes me laugh to this day) would bring round a cooler bag with ice lollies for the staff. And remember as staff, we had to move in that heat, do ward rounds, drug rounds, bloods, assisting patients, resuscitate.

It came to symbolise for me the utter hopelessness of the problem of the NHS. Trying to fix a systemic, massive, dangerous problem like a Victorian built hospital no longer being fit for purpose with ice lollies and good will. It’s hopeless. I’ve not been on a protest or March since. I cannot see the point. I cannot see what is worth saving.

Oh, just seen this, apparently Unite are having a "NHS national pay day of action" tomorrow. Although, either someone got bored/distracted and posted the article when it was half-written, or else they actually have organised events covering all three regions of England, the West Midlands, London and the South East:

More NHS pay stuff, from Nurses United:

👇🏽
Nurses and our Supporters we need you!
👇🏽

We’re asking frontline nurses and their supporters to meet with us outside Sajid Javid's office at 15:00 on Saturday 11th September
🏢

His office's address is 18 High Street, Bromsgrove, B61 8HQ
📋

We've sent him a letter which you can read below asking him to meet us
🗓️

If he's not there we're going to speak to his constituents and protest outside to let everyone know what this Government's real-terms pay cuts has and will continue to do to our patient's safety
😷

Can't attend?
Then use this form to send Mr Javid a message (keep it polite!) and we'll share them with his constituents
📨
https://docs.google.com/.../1l5rFIPWowI8ioPujJp-gjfw.../edit

Back
Top Bottom