Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

ACG On-line Public Meeting on February 15th

TBH, and I accept this isn't going to be a popular idea, but I think the reality is we can't really do anything about it, and that goes for plenty of other things as well, this isn't special.
This has always been the case with a lot of activism though. If it's 2,000 miles away or 100 years ago you'll get the boots on the street. The people living in the here and now just down the road? Less so.

This has always been the case with a lot of activism though. If it's 2,000 miles away or 100 years ago you'll get the boots on the street. The people living in the here and now just down the road? Less so.
I can't think of any mass demonstrations relating to events of 100 years ago.
The UK is a major ally of the State of Israel, and mass working class action could stop the supply of weapons and military support from the UK.

I can't think of any mass demonstrations relating to events of 100 years ago.
Not demonstrations but celebrations of the likes of Cable Street or The Battle of Stockton by folk who either don't really attend antifascist actions or do but thumb their noses at the slightest whiff of any kind of violence.

In their online statement on International Women's Day the ACG state that March 8th is a "celebration and commemoration of working class women's continued oppression and exploitation."

Bizarre. What are they on about?
I think it's laudable that you want to contribute to the movement by volunteering as a proofreader for the ACG, but would it not be simpler to just contact them directly rather than posting on here and hoping they see it?

TBH, and I accept this isn't going to be a popular idea, but I think the reality is we can't really do anything about it, and that goes for plenty of other things as well, this isn't special. (Or at the very least the time we put in has next to no measureable impact in terms of improving outcomes, and I mean collective/movement time rather than as individuals.)

I think at this moment in time we need to be brutally strategic and unemotional about what we do with our political activity.
Absolutely spot on.

In other countries, some dockers have boycotted all trade with the State of Israel. Is this something towards which we should work in Britain?
Well I'm in NZ not Britain but I'm trying to focus on supporting workers to organise to defend their terms and conditions and build power locally - if for instance getting workers who have some cross over with trade with Israel to build power for themselves included an opportunity for solidarity actions fine. If strong and relatively successful groups of workers like the Longshoremen can do it thats awesome. Would I let it distract me from more immediate local goals? No.

Well I'm in NZ not Britain but I'm trying to focus on supporting workers to organise to defend their terms and conditions and build power locally - if for instance getting workers who have some cross over with trade with Israel to build power for themselves included an opportunity for solidarity actions fine. If strong and relatively successful groups of workers like the Longshoremen can do it thats awesome. Would I let it distract me from more immediate local goals? No.
I do not think it the case that most of the people in the Palestine Solidarity protests are being distracted from organising class struggles.

I do not think it the case that most of the people in the Palestine Solidarity protests are being distracted from organising class struggles.
Tbf, I do reckon that, of the people currently involved in organising class struggle stuff in the UK, a reasonable proportion of them are probably really quite frazzled at the moment as a result of trying to balance some level of commitment to Palestine stuff on top of their existing workload. Although that's not necessarily to say that they'd be in a better state if they all just decided to respond to the ongoing genocide by going "well, nothing we can do".
TBH, and I accept this isn't going to be a popular idea, but I think the reality is we can't really do anything about it, and that goes for plenty of other things as well, this isn't special. (Or at the very least the time we put in has next to no measureable impact in terms of improving outcomes, and I mean collective/movement time rather than as individuals.)

I think at this moment in time we need to be brutally strategic and unemotional about what we do with our political activity.
Going back to this... can see where you're coming from, but also I reckon that the idea of being brutally strategic and unemotional with your priorities is perhaps something that can work, with a great deal of effort, for a tiny political micro-group, but I'm not convinced it can ever be the logic that animates a movement of tens of thousands. At the risk of just coming up with a theoretical argument for ambulance/tail-chasing, or independently reinventing the SWP, I reckon there is a strong case to be made that real strategic thinking has to consist of locating yourself within a specific context, which is inevitably going to include lots of people who are motivated about the things they're motivated about rather than the things you think they should be motivated about, and working out how to operate most effectively within that context, rather than this idea of strategy as something that can just float in some kind of disembodied way.

To be clear, should probably add that the above is probably me working through my disagreements with the kind of Cedric Johnson-style criticism of "why did people do Black Lives Matter when they could've just been sensible and done a vote for Bernie Sanders instead?" as much as it is a straightforward response to LDC's post, fully appreciate that that's my own fault for paying attention to bigbrain yankee Marxists in the first place though.

Back
Top Bottom