Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Snooker 2023 - 24

They weren't hanging around, were they? I think we got to the interval in about 45 minutes. I still make O'Sullivan slight favourite, especially if he tries to make it tactical.

They weren't hanging around, were they? I think we got to the interval in about 45 minutes. I still make O'Sullivan slight favourite, especially if he tries to make it tactical.
I'm going to miss tonight unfortunately. I will be very surprised if O'Sullivan changes his tactics, and given that I think it's Carter's to lose. He will get chances, so it's down to whether or not he's good enough to take them – unless O'Sullivan's wild shots start going in, which they might.

TBH I find Ronnie's 'no safety snooker' approach borderline disrespectful. He's playing the game a bit like I do. But I'm allowed to play like that - it's the tailender's licence to slog. He's not a tailender.

Hmmm. Not a good look here. O'Sullivan and Carter both questioning each other's mental health.

Was funny Carter accused him of snotting on the floor and added "if this gets swept under the carpet, that's not good" :D

But yeah, some serious hate going on.

Last edited:
Hmmm. Not a good luck here. O'Sullivan and Carter both questioning each other's mental health.

Was funny Carter accused him of snotting on the floor and added "if this gets swept under the carpet, that's not good" :D

Wouldn’t have guessed the snottiness from watching the match.

O'Sullivan is a tool but I'm still glad he won because Carter is even less likeable. Obnoxious little UKIP gremlin that he is. O'Sullivan really, really did not fuck around in those last two frames. It was like watching one of those Real Madrid games where the opponent has the upper hand and then Real Madrid take it up a notch and crush them like ants.

It's weird, I was never a big snooker fan as a kid but have started getting into it more recently, though the commentary is terrible.

Hmmm. Not a good luck here. O'Sullivan and Carter both questioning each other's mental health.

I didn't like the interview on itv (think it was) for World Grand Prix when the interviewer was stirring it up. Carter then suggested that O'Sullivan started it, which looks like it's untrue. Got quite mardy about the crowd in the final again, too.

Not good hearing both Lisowski and O'Sullivan saying they're not enjoying playing, I think because there are so many tournaments.

Not good hearing both Lisowski and O'Sullivan saying they're not enjoying playing, I think because there are so many tournaments.
Not good, no. But at its lowest in recent history immediately after the tobacco advertising ban, snooker only had half a dozen full tournaments a year. All the players were crying out for more tournaments. O'Sullivan picks and chooses nowadays anyway. TBH I find it hard to dislike Ronnie, but fuck me for someone who's made more money out of the game than anyone else, he's a fucking moaner.

O'Sullivan famously won the Worlds in 2012, barely played for the next year, and then won it again in 2013. He'd dropped out of the top 16, but as reigning champion he got seeded, so whoever was at 16 at that point had to qualify.

O'Sullivan famously won the Worlds in 2012, barely played for the next year, and then won it again in 2013. He'd dropped out of the top 16, but as reigning champion he got seeded, so whoever was at 16 at that point had to qualify.
Yeah and he's had various rules bent/broken for him over the years. That's the one aspect of him that I don't like. He knows that the people running snooker need him and he plays on that to the full to get himself special treatment.

I don't have a problem with players getting certain privileges after X years on the tour. So if you've been on tour for 20 years, say, you are no longer required to play everything. But that should apply to everyone.

I don't have a problem with players getting certain privileges after X years on the tour. So if you've been on tour for 20 years, say, you are no longer required to play everything. But that should apply to everyone.
Do you reckon Higgins or Williams would get the same treatment if they wanted it? It's almost 20 years since Murphy won the WC, and Selby got his first Masters in 2008.

Do you reckon Higgins or Williams would get the same treatment if they wanted it? It's almost 20 years since Murphy won the WC, and Selby got his first Masters in 2008.
They might tbf. Tennis has that sort of system, with long-service players not required to play a full schedule. But Ronnie's been fucking them around and threatening to quit for at least the last 20 years. Aside from anything else, he's crying wolf now.

Saying that, I don't doubt what he's saying. In his head, he isn't playing well and that is frustrating him. I don't think he's a liar. He is a moaner, though. And he clearly does lack respect for players with less ability than him, hence his comments about young players looking old. Hendry was similar back in his pomp.

ETA:

After reading up on Ali Carter being a nobhead, I quite like what Ronnie's been saying about him. No problem with him slagging off nobheads. When he likes someone, like Ding for instance, he's actually pretty warm and generous about them.

Shaun Murphy on the Saudi thing:

“Obviously there is a question over human rights, as there should be, but if we only traded with countries with perfect human rights records, it would be a very, very small pool to pick from,” said Murphy. “We wouldn’t be trading with the UK either. We haven’t covered ourselves in glory over hundreds of years, going around invading other countries, so people in glass houses need to be careful where they throw their stones.”

I don't normally have as much of a problem with Murphy as many people, but this makes him sound like a prize bell end.

“Obviously there is a question over human rights, as there should be, but if we only traded with countries with perfect human rights records, it would be a very, very small pool to pick from,” said Murphy. “We wouldn’t be trading with the UK either. We haven’t covered ourselves in glory over hundreds of years, going around invading other countries, so people in glass houses need to be careful where they throw their stones.”

I don't normally have as much of a problem with Murphy as many people, but this makes him sound like a prize bell end.

Judd Trump made similar dick comments. Managed to use the word 'amazing' 3 times in one sentence describing snooker and Saudi Arabia.

This is the Saudi scheme with the additional golden bonus ball for 20 points, just to make the whole thing even more tawdry?

Anyone watching this? Look away now if you don't want to know how O'Sullivan / Ding semi final is going.

First three frames three centuries each in one visit.:eek:

.... and another century plus two 70s/80s.

Comments including from Hendry about this being the best they've seen O'Sullivan play - he's getting a long pot and clearing up from it. Ding playing really well but just got no table time.

And another century for a 5-1 win :eek: taken just over an hour.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom