Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Snooker 2023 - 24

Scottish Open started today.

I am just catching up on highlights on Eurosport. Has anyone else seen any?

I hear Ronnie pulled out at the very last minute.

Sad for Noppon after what he managed against Higgins and that it was his first ranking final...

Aye - he's so good on those long pots. I thought he was going to come back at Gary in the second session, but Wilson really picked up his form compared to some of the matches from earlier in the week.

Good match

Lisowski looked good, and could go far in the single session matches. However I reckon a patient match player could exploit the occasional errors he makes.

It was interesting watching the brief profile of Zhang Anda. When asked who his inspiration was I fully expected him to say O'Sullivant, Ding or both. He went with John Higgins though.

Steve Davis is so much more interesting when talking about snooker than any other commentator. It’s bizarre that his early reputation was the opposite.
Terry Griffiths was very good, although I think he's retired from the mic.

Mark Allen's quite good: he mentioned the other day that he'd missed watching the first session of last year's WC final, as he was hungover from drowning his sorrows after Selby knocked him out in the semis the day before.

Steve Davis is so much more interesting when talking about snooker than any other commentator. It’s bizarre that his early reputation was the opposite.
Its because when everyone was calling him boring he was in actual fact the first really interesting snooker player (off the table) bang into his electronic music and i seem to recall back in the day psychedelics? Could be wrong on the last one...

Its because when everyone was calling him boring he was in actual fact the first really interesting snooker player (off the table) bang into his electronic music and i seem to recall back in the day psychedelics? Could be wrong on the last one...

Yes, proper renaissance man. Obsessed with Magma and funded their concerts. DJd at Glastonbury IIRC. His other sport is chess.

And snooker commentary has to be the best of any sport. Rugby's good when you've got ex players too, but the analysis you get before (and often after) each snooker shot is superb.

Allen vs Selby at the moment.

Lovely.

And a shout for his mad plant in the previous frame too!

( Edit - what I saw as a “mad plant” is now being described as “unmissable” and being recreated by Ally Pally pissed spectators as interval entertainment. Ha.)

Last edited:
Some surprisingly bitty games today, lots of tactical play because they've been missing loads of pots :eek:

Snooker, perhaps because of its length, also has some classic Colemanballs:

Willie Thorne: "He couldn't have hit that any better... unless it had gone in."

Back
Top Bottom