Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Should the Queen meet Martin McGuinness?

Ive always considered NI politics to be something that only people affected by it can really understand the implications of it, and I stay away from discussing it.

However, I think that the whole Irish problem is full of bigotted views on both sides and much of it historical and if we never get to a point where such histories can be put aside we will never move on.
the fact that this was even considered possible is a huge step forward imho.

It's more should McGuinness meet the queen,I should think most republicans think he should stay well clear and if he does shake hands with Betty count his fingers immediately afterwards as she's bound to filch something.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18552221

Apparently after discussions in his party Martin McGuinness has decided to meet the Queen when she is over there next week.

I suppose he is now a politician so why not, but he is also a former terrorist, it appears the hesitancy has been more on his side than on the Queen's which in itself is interesting.
quite, i don't see why martin mcguinness should sully himself by shaking hands with a woman who has presided over the deaths of scores of thousands including many people in the six counties. and indeed she has shown no remorse over deaths on at least four continents.

Ive always considered NI politics to be something that only people affected by it can really understand the implications of it, and I stay away from discussing it.

However, I think that the whole Irish problem is full of bigotted views on both sides and much of it historical and if we never get to a point where such histories can be put aside we will never move on.
the fact that this was even considered possible is a huge step forward imho.
there is no irish problem, just an english one.

53898_340.jpg

'Weren't you in Max and Peddy, Mr McGuinness? I loved the one where you threatened a chep with a gun. Prince Philip says it was a Broom Hendled Mauser'.

quite, i don't see why martin mcguinness should sully himself by shaking hands with a woman who has presided over the deaths of scores of thousands including many people in the six counties. and indeed she has shown no remorse over deaths on at least four continents.

You really don't see that shaking hands will be a symbol of the ending of the killings committed by both sides? Are you myopic?

"No question now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

"No question now, what had happened to the faces of the pigs. The creatures outside looked from pig to man, and from man to pig, and from pig to man again; but already it was impossible to say which was which."

That's a totally inapropriate quotation. There's no comparison between Napoleon the pig who takes over the farm and the leaders of SF who have compromised to end violence.

Back
Top Bottom