Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Russian military plants/installations 'accidentally' catching fire

These from a few days ago.

Fire at a weapons research facility in Tver was followed hours later by reports of a blaze at key chemical plant in Kineshma.
Seven people have been killed after a huge fire broke out at a key Russian defence research institute in Tver, north-west of Moscow, according to reports.
The incident was followed hours later by unconfirmed reports of a fire at one of Russia’s largest chemical plants.
Images on social media purported to show a large fire at the Dmitrievsky chemical plant in Kinsehma about 400km (250 miles) north-east of Moscow.

1650904549115.png

Very odd stuff. It does look like the work of some long-range special ops group, but where's the tactical or strategic advantage? The Tver building seems to have been an important design, and in the long-run a major loss for the Russian side - but how is it relevant to short-term battlefield situation?

Very odd stuff. It does look like the work of some long-range special ops group, but where's the tactical or strategic advantage? The Tver building seems to have been an important design, and in the long-run a major loss for the Russian side - but how is it relevant to short-term battlefield situation?

Fucking up rear logistics means more units away from the front to guard or fight fires while every bit of fuel burned means less in tanks and aircraft.

It's certainly possible that it's anti-war activists in Russia, but the coordination/timing and the value of the targets suggest military planning. I think it's more likely the work of long-range Ukrainian missiles, the stuff in Bryansk at least. Entirely plausible that there are Ukrainian special forces behind enemy lines too. If these are "civilian" anti-war activists in Russia, they certainly know what they're doing

It doesn't feel like a real false flag though, blowing up apartments is more Vlad's style. And Russia was insisting these were accidents until now

They did get those new drones from the US announced a few days ago that can fly for 6 hours, though not powerful enough to take out a tank. I guess a fuel tank is a soft enough target, but it looks like they somehow got a whole load of them to go up. Twitter loons are instead suggesting the USA is doing it with a space laser :D

There was also a train load of tanks derailed in Bryansk, elsewhere another bit of damage to the railway with a locomotive derailed (allegedly as a result of the fuel depot explosion), a Russian SU34 aircraft crashed, and some sort of attack in Transnistra. A lot of stuff happening today.

It‘s useful tactically for Ukraine not to brag about any of this as it keeps the enemy paranoid and guessing how attacks have happened, not knowing what they need to defend against or how.

Feels like accusations of Western involvement can't be far away.
The accusation would make the Russian leadership look weak though.
It is also quite plausible that it's on the deniable playbook for a western country supporting the Ukrainian state.

The accusation would make the Russian leadership look weak though.
It is also quite plausible that it's on the deniable playbook for a western country supporting the Ukrainian state.

Yeah, I wouldn’t expect accusations to start at the top, but I’d be surprised if people aren’t talking.

Last edited:
I suspect this one was a direct strike by Urkaine, as it's only around 15-20 miles from their border.

A series of blasts have reportedly been heard in the Russian city of Belgorod near the Ukrainian border while an ammunition depot was also reported to be on fire, local officials said according to a Reuters report.

Regional governor Vyacheslav Gladkov said an ammunition depot in the province caught fire in the early hours of Wednesday, the news agency said. Gladkov said no civilians had been hurt by the fire which broke out at a facility near Staraya Nelidovka village.

The Belgorod province borders Ukraine’s Luhansk, Sumy and Kharkiv regions, all of which have seen heavy fighting since Russia invaded Ukraine two months ago. LINK

I suspect this one was a direct strike by Urkaine, as it's only around 15-20 miles from their border.

Yup, I think that's true - the Ukrainians have shown themselves to be masters of the Deeper Battle: using UAV's to target for and correct artillery fire. It allows you to fire out to the ragged edges of your extreme range and still produce effective fire.

It's something we've seen them use time and again, and they get very impressive results - though it helps that for all the talk, the Russian Army is still in peacetime mode: repeatedly lining up 30+ helicopters on airfields within 20km of the Ukrainians for example....

Maybe it's as simple as Ukraine doing what they can with what they have. They realise they have a reliable asset in Tver (who must have a brass arsehole) so they send him or her round to set the bins on fire at the Institute of Whatever.

Maybe it's as simple as Ukraine doing what they can with what they have. They realise they have a reliable asset in Tver (who must have a brass arsehole) so they send him or her round to set the bins on fire at the Institute of Whatever.
Makes sense. I suppose, also in a Russian context where it's still all "command and control" a blow at this or that point will wound the beast in ways it can't compensate for. Even if it just has nuisance value, the beast can't really deal with an accumulation of nuisances.

spinal-tap.gif

Yep, has been a bit of discussion of them over on the anti-war movement thread - in case anyone's not seen it, here's the video from I think the Lukhovitsy action:

Another picture from the Ivanovo region, March 19:
1651152355239.png

Back
Top Bottom