Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Privileged people calling less privileged people "stupid" doesn't seem to be working...

I like how the 'uneducated working class' is being blamed for all this shit.

demonisation at it's finest.

those poor thick people, they did it.
Right, but there is nothing inherently demonising in attempting to unravel, analyse and understand the demographics persuaded to cast their vote for the demagogue.

World in crisis or back to normal soon? I think I know... | Nick Cohen

You can only argue against committed supporters of Trump. If they believe all Mexicans are rapists and Muslims terrorists, you cannot compromise without betraying your principles. Fair enough. But before you become self-righteous you must accept that the dominant faction on the western left uses language just as suggestive of collective punishment when they talk about their own white working class. Imagine how it must feel for a worker in Bruce Springsteen’s Youngstown to hear college-educated liberals condemn “white privilege” when he has a shit job and a miserable life. Or Google the number of times “straight white males” are denounced by public-school educated women in the liberal media and think how that sounds to an ex-miner coughing his guts up in a Yorkshire council flat.

Emotionally, as well as rationally, they sense the left, or at least the left they see and hear, is no longer their friend. They are men and women who could be argued with, if the middle classes were willing to treat them decently. You might change their minds. You might even find that they could change yours. Instead of hearing an argument, they see liberals who call the police to suppress not only genuine hate speech that incites violence but any uncouth or “inappropriate” transgression.

For too many in the poor neighbourhoods of the west, middle-class liberals have become like their bosses at work. They tell you what you can and can’t think. They warn that you must accept their superiority and you will be in no end of trouble if you do not.

Nick Cohen seems to be starting to get it, well, bits of it.

Nick Cohen seems to be starting to get it, well, bits of it.

I suppose that the, interestingly unmentioned, corollary of this is that like the working-class the middle-class professionals mentioned also do not ever come into contact with the 1% which is why we get this stream of invective aimed at working-class people following Brexit and Donald Trump's victory.

Maybe for some, but for some not...that's the point of the post mortem stuff, isn't it?

you cant know why people voted, only idly speculate on things that fit your idea, it's pretty useless cus it's just a made up list of possible reasons someone could have voted the way they did. it's not treating people as individuals. it's pretty basic to think that all white rich people believe the same shit as it is to say every poor black person believes the same shit. one might call that an 'isim'.

you cant know why people voted, only idly speculate on things that fit your idea, it's pretty useless cus it's just a made up list of possible reasons someone could have voted the way they did. it's not treating people as individuals. it's pretty basic to think that all white rich people believe the same shit as it is to say every poor black person believes the same shit. one might call that an 'isim'.
I don't think that political scientists ever pretend that they can offer anything other than generalisations based upon samples.

Back
Top Bottom