Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Photo ID now a requirement to vote in the UK

Also posted over in the London Mayoral thread:

View attachment 422865
exactly...the only chance of this every getting overturned is if ID cards become compulsory or people just go to polling stations (with their polling cards) in sufficient numbers and say they dont have ID (i appreciate this is very unlikely to happen on any scale - most people with no ID just wont go to the polls)

Looks like at least one person is on board with your plan already

Boris Johnson turned away from polling station after forgetting ID

Was he;
A. Too egotistical to think they'd hold him, of all people, to the rules - don't you know who I am?
B. Actually scatterbrained
C. Deliberate Publicity stunt - got him press coverage and befuddled statesman is his brand, that works for him not against him (perversely).

When it comes to Johnson I really can't call it. All are possible.

Was he;
A. Too egotistical to think they'd hold him, of all people, to the rules - don't you know who I am?
B. Actually scatterbrained
C. Deliberate Publicity stunt - got him press coverage and befuddled statesman is his brand, that works for him not against him (perversely).

When it comes to Johnson I really can't call it. All are possible.
C

Apparently he went home and came out again later with the necessary ID.

I suspect it was genuine forgetfulness. The idea he would do it deliberately for the publicity is ridiculous, but there's always at least one idiot here happy to post such nonsense.

I suspect it was genuine forgetfulness. The idea he would do it deliberately for the publicity is ridiculous, but there's always at least one idiot here happy to post such nonsense.

Yep, there's always one idiot, and I am not surprised by who it is on this occasion.

it’s not hysterical, it’s blatantly what is going on.
And no matter how widely something is reported, there will still be millions of people who will still not know about it, either cos they don’t read newspapers or watch the news or pay attention to adverts on buses.
Everyone who turned up at our polling station knew about the requirement. But not all of them had remembered to bring their photo ID. One person brought the wrong handbag, several thought they could show it on their phones, and lots had just forgotten and went home for it.

That might be because the sort of people who voted yesterday are the sort who pay attention to the stuff that comes through their door, and all the political parties were reminding people of the need to take photo ID, as were the council and the electoral commission in all the official documentation

Everyone who turned up at our polling station knew about the requirement. But not all of them had remembered to bring their photo ID. One person brought the wrong handbag, several thought they could show it on their phones, and lots had just forgotten and went home for it.

That might be because the sort of people who voted yesterday are the sort who pay attention to the stuff that comes through their door, and all the political parties were reminding people of the need to take photo ID, as were the council and the electoral commission in all the official documentation
Plus we’re obviously not counting those who stayed at home

That's him though, his whole persona is ridiculous and it's what he wants people to think and like about him. I wouldn't put anything past him.

The one benefit of the ID thing was not having to verbally confirm my address yesterday, I just told them it's on my drivers license which was already in front of them.

I don’t know why postal voting isn’t more popular. It’s so much easier. Last time I was supposed to vote in person, I ended up not bothering cos I’d worked a ten hour day and just wanted my tea and a sit down

I don’t know why postal voting isn’t more popular. It’s so much easier. Last time I was supposed to vote in person, I ended up not bothering cos I’d worked a ten hour day and just wanted my tea and a sit down
Well yeh exactly, no ID, no hassle, no queueing. Idk why everyone isn't doing it. It's a whole 1 minute walk to my local voting place, did it once and all postal since.

Well we only had a PCC vote yesterday and I was able to use my free ID that I’d managed to put somewhere safe and have only just re-found it

I don’t think they’d seen one before and truth be told it does look very Blue Peter’y just a single A4 print out with a very easy to forge “watermark”

Back
Top Bottom