Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Peak Oil (was "petroleum geologist explains US war policy")

Oil Crisis And Offshore Drilling

Burton Golden [bgolden@ix.netcom.com]

Despite the pejorative texture of the word, a speculator in the oil futures market is simply a trader--a pension fund, say, or a sovereign wealth fund--who hasn't the intention or the capacity to physically receive oil. Their barrels are 'paper barrels.' Originally, futures were employed by heavy users of petroleum products, like refiners or airlines, to hedge their physical commodity exposure, and they are important for that reason. Some speculative capital is needed for adequate liquidity, but the recent huge influx has overweighted the physical hedgers. Speculators now account for about 70% of all benchmark crude trading on the New York Mercantile Exchange, up from 37% in 2000.

In effect, these investors are hedging dollars, whose weakness has been driven by the Fed's lengthy monetary expansion. With the drying-up of investment vehicles associated with the sub-prime market, vast sums were left hungry for new feeding grounds. Thus, for example, in an April report, Lehman Brothers said the price of oil had been pushed to inflated levels by a $40bn inflow into commodity index funds this year, much of it coming from Mid-East sovereign wealth funds. The result of all this is the chaotic market we see every day, with a distorted price-discovery mechanism, and prices uncoupled from physical supply.

There is now legislation afoot to rein-in some of this. Among the proposed remedies are increased margin requirements for non-physical hedgers (perhaps to the 50% already required for stocks), position limits for speculators, better disclosure of positions, and, perhaps, preventing pension funds and investment banks from owning commodities at all. A panel of oil analysis experts, testifying earlier this week before a sub-committee of the House Energy and Commerce Committee, felt such measures might quickly drop the oil price to $65 to $75 a barrel. Even doubters among the Republican congressmen seemed more inclined to question the feasibility of such measures than their desirability.

All of the panelists favored offshore drilling for the long term (one mentioned energy security), but were unanimous that, at present, big oil would be unwilling to develop such remote sites, since oil industry executives themselves consider the current oil price to be fundamentally unsustainable (plus of course current supplies are meeting current demand). This is consistent with a Bloomberg report on Monday that insiders at the big refiners, like Valero and Tesoro, are buying more of their own stock than at any time since 2000, in anticipation of a drop in the oil price. We'll see.

If that panel's testimony is still available at C-Span's website (6/23, Bart Stupak, D-MI, presiding; it's the first panel, comprising Fadel Gheit of Oppenheimer & Co., Roger Diwan of PFC Energy Consultants, Michael Masters of Masters Capital Management, and Dr. Edward Krapels of Energy Security Analysis), I heartily recommend it as a great three-hour window into the complexities of the oil market, and the limited applicability thereto of the homilies of lemonade-stand economics. My own view is we need to act immediately on speculation, because $4 gasoline and $5 diesel is killing our economy (and others), and perhaps these prices could be halved by Labor Day. Later, we can debate the value of developing U.S. domestic reserves to come onstream five to ten years from now. It would be a tragedy to hold Americans hostage by trying to conflate these two approaches into a single piece of legislation, since the latter is controversial while the former is not.

Via CCNet

Poll: 74 Percent Support Offshore Drilling In U.S.

Zogby International, 26 June 2008

http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/jun/26/poll-74-percent-support-offshore-oil-drilling-us/

Three in four likely voters - 74 percent - support offshore drilling for oil in U.S. coastal waters and more than half (59 percent) also favor drilling for oil in the Alaska National Wildlife Refuge, a new Zogby International telephone poll shows.

A majority of likely voters across the political spectrum support offshore oil drilling, with vast majorities of Republicans (90 percent) and independents (75 percent) in favor of drilling for oil off U.S. coastal waters more than half of Democrats (58 percent) also said they favor offshore drilling. Republicans (80 percent) and political independents (57 percent) are much more likely to favor drilling for oil in ANWR than Democrats (40 percent).

The telephone survey of 1,113 likely voters nationwide was conducted June 12-14, and carries a margin of error of plus or minus 3.0 percentage points

FULL POLL at http://www.naplesnews.com/news/2008/jun/26/poll-74-percent-support-offshore-oil-drilling-us/

A drop to $70 would not surprise me. There is definitely a speculative element to the current high price. $70 is still very high compared to just a few years ago though. It'll only fall, or maintain that price, if production rates can be increased.

ANWR drilling is a drop in the ocean

http://www.eia.doe.gov/oiaf/servicerpt/anwr/index.html?featureclicked=2&

780,000 barrels/day maximum production (average of the estimated scenarios). Roughly 1% of global demand.

Here's the bump it would make in USA's declining oil production:

GTSEI_Shelton%209.png

Mmm I would expect the price to drop somewhat once the summer is over, as there are usually seasonal variations in demand. I couldnt guess how low it will go though.

Gull Island’s Enormous Oil Deposit Threat To Environment

The world's largest deposit of oil is causing environmental problems for a small Alaska island.

Gull Island sits atop the largest pool of oil in the world. The deposit was discovered in 1977 but no drilling has ever been done there. As a result, oil is bursting through surface cracks and is contaminating the area's land and water resources.

"We've got birds covered in oil and humpback dolphins going belly-up daily," said Ken Blackstone of Alaska's Department of Natural Resources, Division of Oil & Gas. "It's worse than the Exxon Valdez (1989 oil tanker wreck) in Prince William Sound. We're trying to think of ways to get rid of the oil, such as introducing oil-destroying chemicals or exotic oil-eating microbes into the water. But so far it's a complete disaster."

Blackstone said that part of the problem is the nature of the oil beneath Gull Island.

"The oil here doesn't come from prehistoric plants or dead dinosaurs," he said. "It's not a 'fossil fuel.' It's actually 'abiotic,' meaning that it is produced deep within the Earth's crust through a natural process. As a result, the pool of oil doesn't just sit there quietly underground. The oil that leaks out onto the surface of the land or the floor of the ocean is constantly being replaced
. So we've got a long-term problem on our hands here."

The easiest solution -- drilling and removing the oil for energy use -- is not currently possible.

"No drilling is done here because there's just way too much oil," Blackstone explained. "There are political implications to consider. It would drive the price of gasoline down to $1.50 a gallon or less and make the U.S. energy-independent. It would discourage Americans from trying to conserve a scarce resource, so in 1977 the Big Oil companies told the federal government to declare Gull Island off-limits and blame the environmentalists."

http://my.zestead.com/austindwilawy...ormous-oil-deposit-threat-to-environment.html

Duh that piece is satire bwahahah!

The bit you omitted might give that away:

For now, Blackstone said, the plan is to scoop up as much oil as possible and drop it by helicopter onto Canadian soil.

"What the Canadians don't know won't hurt them," he said.

Talk about clutching at straws. Get a new reality, your current one has gone past its peak.

Indeed :D

Oh we are back to where we begun, with an article in the Guardian about the era of oil wars:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/jun/29/oil.oilandgascompanies

And Iraq seems to be ready to get the foreign oil companies in:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/business/7480674.stm

From last week in case anyone missed it.

That argument is going to be a good deal harder to make from next week, when four of the western world's largest oil corporations are due to sign contracts for the renewed exploitation of Iraq's vast reserves. Initially, these are to be two-year deals to boost production in Iraq's largest oilfields. But not only did the four energy giants - BP, Exxon Mobil, Shell and Total - write their own contracts with the Iraqi government, an unheard-of practice: they have also reportedly secured rights of first refusal on the far more lucrative 30-year production contracts expected once a new US-sponsored oil law is passed, allowing a wholesale western takeover. Big Oil is back with a vengeance.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2008/jun/26/usforeignpolicy.usnationalsecurity

tupi.jpg

Petrobras could rise 25 percent - Barron's

NEW YORK, June 29 (Reuters) - Shares of Petrobras(PBR) could rise another 25 percent if the Brazilian oil company's recently discovered offshore wells become as profitable as some expect, financial weekly Barron's reported.

The state-controlled company may be sitting on top of what may be the largest oil field find in the Western Hemisphere in 30 years, the newspaper said in its June 30 edition.

The company's U.S. listed shares, which closed at $69.23 on Friday, could rise as high as $90 within a year, Barron's said. (Reporting by Emily Chasan; Editing by Braden Reddall)

http://uk.reuters.com/article/oilRpt/idUKN2936086620080629

Brazil Oil Reserves Will at Least Triple, Lula Says

June 26 (Bloomberg) -- President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva said Brazil will at least triple its oil reserves by exploring a new offshore area that includes the Western Hemisphere's largest discovery since 1976.

"This is very promising for Brazil,'' Lula, 62, said in a Bloomberg Television interview today at the presidential palace in Brasilia. "We have to take advantage of this oil to develop the country.''

A tripling of proved reserves from 12.6 billion barrels would move Brazil into the world's top 10 nations in oil supplies, according to estimates from London-based BP Plc.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=newsarchive&sid=aQXB9FxXLKHw

David Deming: Getting sensible on energy

If the price of gasoline is around $4 a gallon, Americans have no one to blame but themselves. For decades, we have demonized the people and businesses who supply our energy. Energy fuels our economy and prosperity, but bad public policies have made it increasingly more difficult to develop our own vast resources. Americans are in danger of falling irreversibly into a dysfunctional culture and fading into the dust of history.

We sit on our own undeveloped energy supplies and complain about the high price of gasoline and imported oil. Public policy in the United States is not designed to facilitate the development of new energy supplies, but to stop it. The U.S. government has placed the Continental Shelves of the U.S. off-limits for drilling. Offshore drilling would have virtually no significant effect on environmental quality.

But our energy policies are not determined by science, reason or facts. Energy policy in the United States is held hostage by a fanatical environmentalism based on emotion, fraud and deceit.

http://washingtontimes.com/news/2008/jun/29/getting-sensible-on-energy/

Matt Simmons has a new presentation.

http://www.simmonsco-intl.com/files/Orleans-SCI Energy Investor.pdf

You can download it as a pdf and get the slides, unfortunatetly no audio to go with it.

Summary:
-The experts got it wrong for the past decade.
-New technologies are not saving us.
-Deepwater projects did not deliver as expected (even now more problems with thunderhorse)
-Natural gas hits $67 per BOE.
-Energy inflation leads to comodity inflation.
-Natural gas is our most precious fossil fuel and will exceed oil in terms of price in the future. (OK I concur, once people wake up to the potential of CNG for transport it will basicly compete with oil for land transport)
-Shortages of rigs and people will make additional supply difficult for years to come.
-"Only three million people really understand peak oil."
-"My grandfather rode a camel, my father rode a car, I ride a jet, my children will ride in cars, my grandchildren will ride on camels."Shiekh Maktoum former Emir of Dubai.
-He warns seriously of WWIII, fuck me. Seriously fuck me. :eek: This is congenial Matt Simmons not some bleeding doom ladend cassandra like Mat Savinar.
-He is saying send in the auditors and if people wont let the auditors in send in the troops to let them in. Kinda harsh but I can see his point.
-Eat local. Melt the tanks and guns to make pipelines and rigs..... (I think he is being metaphorical about the allocation of capital)

Interesting read. Simmons seems to be moving slightly closer to the gloomy prognostics of Richard "The Party's Over" Heingberg. And on that note, Hienberg in a recent interview. The calm before the storm:
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=ajqgOCxGEAo (27 minutes). Yep the old long time peakers are starting to sound rattled. Its not an accademic debate anymore.

Also there is a decent case still for the Richard Duncan's Olduvai George fast collapse types. India now perhaps looking like it could be the poster child. Its economy has gone from "hero to zero" in the words of Lehmans. Inflation is now at 11% and the Rupee is falling fast and it has the usual rash of truckers strikes. The stock market has also tanked, this means the cost of oil is going up faster in India than even America (trust me the UK is being insulated from the worst by an intermediately strong pound). Once inflation and political instability hit a country the downward trend economicaly can be hard to slow, so prices keep rising and growth peters out. This pushes the price of petrol and diesel up very quickly. Indias agriculture is massively reliant of ground water lifted by diesel. So it could see falling yeilds pretty quickly especialy as price controls now mean Indian farmers are not seeing the benefits of price increases so cant compete for diesel and fertilizer with farmers who are. It good get quite ugly in India unless the government immidiately realises that cheap oil is over and takes action.

Interesting times indeed.

Thanks that was a good slideshow, certainly shows how much further we have come in the last few years. I started boring people at work back in 2002 about oil running out, and they thought I was nuts. Come around 2005, when the medias attitude changed slightly and the price had risen quite far, they thought I was slightly less crazy. This year I find their ears are slightly wider open, but they are still surprised and baffled when I go on about just how much of a life-changing problem this stuff is.

I thought the pound might be faring slightly less well against the dollar by now, I guess I should give up trying to guess about those sorts of things, but I still expect it to go weak at some point and magnify price inflation.

... I started boring people at work back in 2002 about oil running out, and they thought I was nuts...
A friend, who worked as an economist with one of the big banks, recently apologised for ridiculing me as a hippy and eco-freak when I mentioned peak oil.
I got similar treatment years ago at uni, where the management lecturer denounced me as a "foolish Malthusian" for pointing out the limits to perpetual growth.
:rolleyes:

It should surely have been clear even then that Malthus was obviously bloody right; economic growth = comsumption of finite resources and is clearly unsustainable. Crash & burn is the inevitable result of such fuckwitted economic theories. Theories not only proclaimed as correct, but the only way forward, no viable alternatives, etc.

Who are these dickheads??? Not science or engineering graduates, it would seem...
:confused: :mad: :(

http://www.ictsd.org/weekly/08-06-04/story4.htm

An interesting article on the costs of shipping due to fuel increases. The assumption is that a return west for bulky manufactured goods such as furniture, shoes, BBQs as they take up more space and hence cost more to ship.

At today's oil prices," they write, "every 10 percent increase in trip distance translated into a 4.5 percent increase in transport costs." While shipping a standard 40-foot container from Shanghai to the east coast of the US cost US$3,000 when oil was at US$20 per barrel, it now costs US$8,000. If oil goes up to US$200, the cost would rise to US$15,000.

And the other costs is the so called last mile costs, from factory to ship (or railhead) and then to store.

Another returner will be repair shops as it becomes better economic sense to repair a lawn mower or a fridge than buy a replacement. China may be in for a much rockier time than is often assumed.
Good advice though for people worried about the economy, pick up the skills of appliance repair and the like to help get buy in a recession\ depression.

Mmm its a shame many products are not designed to be so repairable these days, or to last as long in the first place.

http://www.ictsd.org/weekly/08-06-04/story4.htm

An interesting article on the costs of shipping due to fuel increases. The assumption is that a return west for bulky manufactured goods such as furniture, shoes, BBQs as they take up more space and hence cost more to ship.

And the other costs is the so called last mile costs, from factory to ship (or railhead) and then to store.

Another returner will be repair shops as it becomes better economic sense to repair a lawn mower or a fridge than buy a replacement. China may be in for a much rockier time than is often assumed.
Good advice though for people worried about the economy, pick up the skills of appliance repair and the like to help get buy in a recession\ depression.

If they can switch to green propulsion quickly then there should be little change in the current system. In the short term I think the biggest problem is going to be longer delivery times as shipping cuts it speed to save money.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/NHC/CRS/propulsion.htm

If they can switch to green propulsion quickly then there should be little change in the current system. In the short term I think the biggest problem is going to be longer delivery times as shipping cuts it speed to save money.

http://www.ibiblio.org/hyperwar/NHC/CRS/propulsion.htm
What green propulsion? Other than a small saving with the kite propulsion there is nothing out there that is going to change the costs and CO2 footprint of large seagoing ships.

Natural gas may be usefull in cutting costs, perhaps but that could be a false economy as the quicker users go to CNG for transport the quicker it will catch up with diesel.

Ultimately it will be back to triple expansion reciprocating steam engines run buy either the cheap heavy oils that are left or coal. So long as you dont mind a warmer planet.

And even if some alternatives, new tech etc comes along to save us, there is still a high cost associated with replacing the current stuff with greener alternatives. Just consider how much economic value is locked up in the cars on the roads today, and the cost & timescale of switching to electric cars, it takes a long time even if the tech is sound.

What green propulsion? Other than a small saving with the kite propulsion there is nothing out there that is going to change the costs and CO2 footprint of large seagoing ships.

Natural gas may be usefull in cutting costs, perhaps but that could be a false economy as the quicker users go to CNG for transport the quicker it will catch up with diesel.

Ultimately it will be back to triple expansion reciprocating steam engines run buy either the cheap heavy oils that are left or coal. So long as you dont mind a warmer planet.

The wind powered ship was found in theory to be workable.

"Taking the above issues into account we see the potential of modern WindShips concept. If speed is reduced, but same productivity is maintained due to the larger volumes carried, money will be saved. It is in this market segment that the WindShip should operate. Careful routing, including effects of seasonal weather variations could then prove the WindShip both environmentally beneficial and economically favourable"

The wind powered ship was found in theory to be workable.

"Taking the above issues into account we see the potential of modern WindShips concept. If speed is reduced, but same productivity is maintained due to the larger volumes carried, money will be saved. It is in this market segment that the WindShip should operate. Careful routing, including effects of seasonal weather variations could then prove the WindShip both environmentally beneficial and economically favourable"
Yeah, but what were the savings? 20% or so IIRC. Not enough.

A couple of years ago there was a huge amount of huff and puff about another 100 billion barrels of oil in Western Iraq. A number of leading geologists dismissed this as they said the geography of the region was not condusive to large oil deposits. The outside best estimage was around 6 billion barrels using P50 and USGS's often rather exuberant methodolgies for hoping for future oil.
http://www.azzaman.com/english/index.asp?fname=news\2007-05-29\kurd.htm
http://www.geotimes.org/oct03/feature_oil.html

BUT one of the world oldest oil regions is another kettle of fish. Kurdistan.

iraqmap.jpg

http://www.geotimes.org/oct03/feature_oil.html

A new field has been developed in the region Tawke and it does have very very good geologic history for oil (sedements of the right depth and right kind of cap rocks.) There is now a building media storm about this small field in Iraq (Kurdistans) and future developments. Edit speculation on size is a bit wild but some people are suggesting maybe 100 billion barrels left. Who knows, but it could explain an awful lot of what is going on in that region.

Edit: wonder if this development deserves its own thread in Middle East....

Production at Mexico’s Cantarell oil complex, one of the world’s largest, has plummeted by a third in the past year, an indication the country could lose self-sufficiency in oil in the medium term.

Average daily production dropped to slightly more than 1m barrels a day in May compared with more than 1.6m b/d in the same month last year, according to the energy ministry.

Mexico’s total oil production fell about 10 per cent in the past 12 months to 2.79m b/d in May. That was only marginally above April’s output, which was the lowest in a decade.

“This is not a good sign,” said George Baker, head of energia.com, a Houston-based consultancy. “But it does at least strengthen the government’s position that there is an approaching crisis in oil production.”

FT (non pay subscription required)

Bad bad news from Mexico, they use (waste IMHO) N2O to force the pressure on this field and now it is declining like a bloody stone. Bad news for the mexican budget (like us with North Sea [god bless the Buzzard field or we'd be deeper in the shit]) and bad news for US oil availibility from friendly regimes.

Don't suppose you have a date to hand for when production will meet domestic consumption in Mexico do you?

Bad bad news from Mexico, they use (waste IMHO) N2O to force the pressure on this field and now it is declining like a bloody stone. Bad news for the mexican budget (like us with North Sea [god bless the Buzzard field or we'd be deeper in the shit]) and bad news for US oil availibility from friendly regimes.

Pity there's an adjacent oil field, Ku-Maloob-Zaap that will come on-line in 2011 and produce 0.8 million of barrels per year, and make up the short-fall... Screws up the MadMax future a bit.

But keep the doom'n'gloom porn coming...! :D

Circa 2012.
http://www.theoildrum.com/node/2226

They have some undeveloped fields but a national oil law that does not permit foriegn companies an ability to lead the develpment. Pemex is hardly Saudi Aramco or Petrobras the two top quality NOCs (national oil companies). They probibly need IOCs (international oil companies) to do the heavy technical stuff to develop whats left, but I dont think that will do anything other than what Buzzard and North Slope did for the UK and US respectively, slow the downward trend.

If cantarell continues falling at its current rate, it will be producing 0.5mbpd by 2011. Compare this to the 2005 peak of 2.2mbpd.

There will be new fields coming online all the time. But will they come online quick enough to offset decline in existing fields?

EDIT - actually, I extended the wrong line. That 0.5mbpd figure comes from the decline rate as of feb 07. The decline has accelerated since then. If Feb07 decline had been maintained, we should be seeing about 1.35mbpd right now. Extraploating that line sees cantarell actually running out by 2011.

Back
Top Bottom