Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Northern Ireland dissident activity

Both are accused of murder
Both crimes were carried out at around the same time
Both are ancient history
Both cases have a lot of potential to cause new trouble

Perhaps you could explain the differences and how dragging 20+ year old cases is helpful.

Assuming you want paras arrested and charged, are you equally eager to see ex terrorists in court and, if not, why not?
You'd have wanted Klaus Barbie to walk free, for him to escape prosecution

No, just equality.
If soldiers are to be taken to court for alleged offences of that time, it's only reasonable if terrorists are treated the same way.
If one group is left using the reasonings listed in my previous post, the soldiers must be able to use the same defense.

Anything else is unfair.

They are treated the same way now. They are prosecuted now, and they were prosecuted before.
They were not treated the same way before the ceasefire when paramilitaries were prosecuted (as long as they weren't MI5 or informers or it was in some way embarrassing to the state) whilst security personnel were not even properly investigated.

Why keep peddling the lie that its just soldiers being 'persecuted' now and everyone else has just been let off?

I'd be quite happy for a full investigations and prosecution of historic paramilitary (all of them, not just IRA) violence if it meant the state actors were also properly investigated and prosecuted. I'm not bothered about them going to Maghaberry but it would be good for folk to have their day in court.

Anyway, its besides the point. There are unlikely to be mass prosecutions of anyone related to 'the Troubles' since they don't have the resources. And the PSNI will be busy chasing smugglers around the border and policing riots again.

DPP: The state is at disadvantage in Troubles probes but there is no prosecution bias against security forces

Asked about the number of prosecutions, Mr McGrory, who retires in the autumn after six years in post, cites previously released figures that the Public Prosecution Service (PPS) has prosecuted seven republicans, three loyalists, and three soldiers.

“So I’m confused as to where the perceived imbalance is?” he says. “I mean it’s just simply not the case.”

If the police come to us with a file on someone regarded as a mainstream republican it would be looked at and determined on the evidence.”

Both are ancient history

Perhaps you could explain the differences and how dragging 20+ year old cases is helpful.

Assuming you want paras arrested and charged, are you equally eager to see ex terrorists in court and, if not, why not?

You cannot say that a paratrooper shooting innocent people ...which was then covered up...is ok?

Are you for real?
Where the fuck is justice there? Plenty IRA men and women and even suspected IRA were locked up ... quite a few were innocent.

Your moral compass is arseways

Both are ancient history

You do know the paras lied and blamed the IRA for shooting first.

Are you seriously equating the paras with dissidents?
The paras sent in to keep peace who ended up raiding homes, intimidating catholics, raping and blunderbussing their way round NI, shooting to kill.... and being paid by the British government in the process? You think their orders were to behave this way? I mean if that were the case and they were merely following orders then every citizen in NI deserves the right to hold the British army and paras and government to account. They went feral. Ok? Some of them. Not all. They did whatever the hell they liked. They held loaded guns to kids heads. They pointed weapons at little kids. Not..the protestant kids.

Do you not realise how sectarian NI was? Maybe you should look into that?

Imagine if your own army turned on you? Strip searched you...with out reason or cause. Raided your home...arrested you...waterboarded you...all because your political views and religion was not that of the ruling class? Because you were dogshit in the eyes of those running thr country.

Think about that.

Was there - not a Para, light infantry - and the sectarianism when I was there (early '80s) was painfully obvious. Loyalists could and did get away with everything up to and including murder, Catholics and/or republicans weren't able to get away with anything, including standing around chatting, or having a pint in a bar.

As an aside, my Grandad - light infantry until he became a Para when the regt was founded in WW2 - disowned the Paras for the murderous behaviour in 72/73. Never went to a regimental function again, after that. Reckoned the General Staff used the Paras as attack dogs, and that the regt had recruited too many psychos.

You cannot say that a paratrooper shooting innocent people ...which was then covered up...is ok?

Are you for real?
Where the fuck is justice there? Plenty IRA men and women and even suspected IRA were locked up ... quite a few were innocent.

Your moral compass is arseways

People know about Ballymurphy and Bloody Sunday. They don't tend to know about the individual murders, assaults and rapes carried out by on and off-duty Paras, except maybe that cunt Lee Clegg. People also don't know about the institutional indifference, and the tacit agreement to not prosecute soldiers for crimes committed under cover of The Crown. That's also why the few soldiers convicted, serve such short sentences, and why crimes committed by soldiers in Malaya, Kenya etc are only just being looked into, cursorily.

Are you seriously trying to equate actions carried out by paramilitary groups and the British Army? A British soldier can’t use any of those arguments, especially in the case of Bloody Sunday. No witnesses? Literally thousands of people on the streets that day, plus the Army keep records of who is posted where and is assigned what job, ballistics can trace bullets back to the type and issue of gun and a whole multitude of things that will point to that soldier being the person who killed those civilians. The only ‘argument’ he can make is that he thought he was under attack, yet the Saville enquiry concluding that they weren’t and that all the civilians killed were innocent.

Also, over 19,000 Republican and Loyalist paramilitaries passed through the courts during the Troubles (including those arrested post-2000 for crimes committed during the Troubles). You can count on one hand the amount of soldiers who done time for any of their actions here, despite the fact that they killed 148 innocent civilians and 33 children under the age of 16. Yet you have the cheek to sit here and call for equality of treatment for soldiers? P-lease :rolleyes:

Passed through courts where normal legal procedure had been set aside, too. Let's not forget that the supposed "rule of law" in the 6 counties, was nothing approaching a rule of law.

Passed through courts where normal legal procedure had been set aside, too. Let's not forget that the supposed "rule of law" in the 6 counties, was nothing approaching a rule of law.

I think this is something that's often overlooked, especially in regard to what the actual functioning was, and not just when it was usefully ignored. As an example, as someone who'd grown up in the Province I was still shocked at the time to hear that the protestors who occupied (and rightfully smashed up) the Raytheon factory in Derry in 2006 were to be tried in a Diplock (i.e. no jury) court. I believe public pressure in that case meant that the CPS abandoned that plan, but moved the case to Belfast where the jury were thought to be less sympathetic. Both obviously continuations of tactics that were routine throughout Northern Ireland's existence and whose institutionalistation means they continue to have a profound effect. All infrastructure in the North West leads to Coleraine (an at the time predominantly Protestant though increasingly mixed town) rather than the more populous Derry. The economic effect is undisputed but the impact on policing and courts is more insidious.

Interestingly, one of the handful of links on google for this story that's still active is from Urban....on the Wales subforum.

Does prosecuting Stakeknife count as part of this witch-hunt? I'm not expecting to see many "I stand with Stakeknife" t-shirts.

Operation Kenova: Files on IRA agent Stakeknife sent to Public Prosecution Service - BelfastTelegraph.co.uk

"Jon Boutcher, the head of Operation Kenova, and his team has prepared files containing evidence regarding a number of offences outlined in the investigation's terms of reference - including murder, kidnap, torture, malfeasance in a public office and perverting the course of justice.

Those files are now in the process of being made available to the Public Prosecution Service for consideration.

Operation Kenova was launched in 2016 amid concerns that Stakeknife had been involved in kidnap, torture and murder by the Provisional IRA during the Troubles and that these alleged crimes were preventable. Up to 50 killings were investigated, some as far back as the 1970s."

Was there - not a Para, light infantry - and the sectarianism when I was there (early '80s) was painfully obvious. Loyalists could and did get away with everything up to and including murder, Catholics and/or republicans weren't able to get away with anything, including standing around chatting, or having a pint in a bar.

As an aside, my Grandad - light infantry until he became a Para when the regt was founded in WW2 - disowned the Paras for the murderous behaviour in 72/73. Never went to a regimental function again, after that. Reckoned the General Staff used the Paras as attack dogs, and that the regt had recruited too many psychos.

My time was a little later; in Int.

I was part of a very successful op resulting in prosecution, and significant jail time subsequently, for 2 x Loyalist paramilitaries.

The arrests were while i was on duty, our OC cautioned us not to talk about it even in fully cleared briefings, in case we got filled in by the Royal Highland Fusiliers on the base and their officers withdrew cooperation with our ops.

Sectarian, much?

Ironic given the original 1969 mission.

My time was a little later; in Int.

I was part of a very successful op resulting in prosecution, and significant jail time subsequently, for 2 x Loyalist paramilitaries.

The arrests were while i was on duty, our OC cautioned us not to talk about it even in fully cleared briefings, in case we got filled in by the Royal Highland Fusiliers on the base and their officers withdrew cooperation with our ops.

Sectarian, much?

Ironic given the original 1969 mission.

Are you asking if I'm sectarian? Nope. I saw what I saw, and having the Green Slime talking down to me is a joke. Your people spent much more effort colluding with the loyalists, than they did prosecuting them. 'Sectarian' would be me saying 'those fucking republicans and catholics deserved everything they got from the RUC, the UVF and the rest of the loyalist alphabet soup'.

Are you asking if I'm sectarian? Nope. I saw what I saw, and having the Green Slime talking down to me is a joke. Your people spent much more effort colluding with the loyalists, than they did prosecuting them. 'Sectarian' would be me saying 'those fucking republicans and catholics deserved everything they got from the RUC, the UVF and the rest of the loyalist alphabet soup'.

Ah.

No.

I wasn't Muppet.

Sigs.

Part - sometimes - of the malign Kermit empire but absolutely not of one mind.

The Billiards Table Boys, for example, failed to join us carrying super sneaky backpacks or in kinetic evenings down Londonderry.

Not "your people".

Not at all. My task was very straightforward support of law against criminals. Thanks.

And if you weren't RHF I'm not accusing you of sectarianism. RHF I am. Criminal scum. As well as brave soldiers (Bosnia)

Ah.

No.

I wasn't Muppet.

Sigs.

Part - sometimes - of the malign Kermit empire but absolutely not of one mind.

The Billiards Table Boys, for example, failed to join us carrying super sneaky backpacks or in kinetic evenings down Londonderry.

Not "your people".

Not at all. My task was very straightforward support of law against criminals. Thanks.

And if you weren't RHF I'm not accusing you of sectarianism. RHF I am. Criminal scum. As well as brave soldiers (Bosnia)

It's Derry, a chara.

Not fucking yet it isn't.

It always was Derry before it wasnt. And the vast majority of people on the island of Ireland still call it Derry.

Eta.
Derry City Council...
City of Derry Airpot..
Derry fc
City of Derry Rugby...
Even the Apprentice Boys of Derry.

It's also on the cards to remove the "London" part and call it Derry since a motion by the council in 2015. On 23 July 2015, the council voted in favour of a motion to change the official name of the city to Derry and to write to Mark H. Durkan, Northern Ireland Minister of the Environment, to ask how the change could be effected.

Everyone knows it as Derry because that was it's name (Doire) prior to the London being added in the 1600s as part of the plantation of Ulster.

Last edited:
Not fucking yet it isn't.

It is, it has and it always will be.

f5.jpg

Multiple stories about a suspected ‘MI5 informer’ being behind the recent cross-border Operation Arbacia dragnet against NIRA in The Irish News Belfast Telegraph, The Times etc in the last few days:

Suspected agent Dennis McFadden, who comes from a well respected family from the Gorbals area of Glasgow, is said to have used his contacts with Celtic fans travelling to for Old Firm games to cement his relationship with dissident republicans.

Named in court as an MI5 agent, McFadden is thought to have been working undercover in Northern Ireland for almost 10 years.

Don't really know if this should go here or in the spycops thread, but just found about an interesting new (well, not exactly breaking news cos it's from October, but doesn't seem to have been mentioned on here) angle in the latest MI5 NI operation - Dennis McFadden was directly involved in the Craigavon 2 defence campaign. See:
Revealed: British spy’s activities in Northern Ireland (Channel 4)

And a few other stories, mainly covering the same ground:
Face of 'MI5 spy' behind sting on dissident republicans (Belfast Telegraph)
Brendan McConville legal team say MI5 interference grounds for new appeal (Irish News)
Could New evidence lead to a Craigavon 2 Dismissal? (0162 Festival)

Don't really know if this should go here or in the spycops thread, but just found about an interesting new (well, not exactly breaking news cos it's from October, but doesn't seem to have been mentioned on here) angle in the latest MI5 NI operation - Dennis McFadden was directly involved in the Craigavon 2 defence campaign. See:
Revealed: British spy’s activities in Northern Ireland (Channel 4)

And a few other stories, mainly covering the same ground:
Face of 'MI5 spy' behind sting on dissident republicans (Belfast Telegraph)
Brendan McConville legal team say MI5 interference grounds for new appeal (Irish News)
Could New evidence lead to a Craigavon 2 Dismissal? (0162 Festival)
No it should be here spy cops were playing stupid games at the taxpayers expense for no reason. Stopping the IRA is worth undercover operations.

I mean, I've not expressed a view either way about the main Operation Arbacia prosecutions, I don't know enough about them to have an opinion but if it does turn out that the defendants are guilty of what they're accused of then I can't say I have much sympathy for them. The two aspects of this story that seem serious dodgy to me are a) tricking someone into showing up to an IRA meeting on false pretences by saying you've booked them to give a presentation about international politics at a public meeting, and b) infiltrating the legal team working on the Craigavon 2's appeal. That seems more like playing stupid games at the taxpayers' expense than stopping the IRA to me.

Even if it achieves fuck, all the only use for physical force republicans is community service enough litter picking and painting and there be to tired to kill anyone.
If Northern Ireland is going to be resolved it want be aided by Muppets in army surplus jackets and balaclavas.
There as useful as the us milita members🤬.
Murder so you can look good on an MTV documentary a new low.

Back
Top Bottom