Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Northern Independence Party

I'm not really thinking on these reform terms, to be honest. In one permutation I'm thinking something driven by major unrest in the one party state, not necessarily the R word but an eventual rejection of the current system that we aren't able to envisage in any detail right now. Maybe more so if and when it's just England on its own.

Fair enough about not understanding northern identity - perhaps the inverse, then, in that you don't recognise what's missing elsewhere. I lived in Hampshire for a decade, city and village, and there is no comparable identity. Either way - I think the bit about parliamentary means is repeated in what you say here. What would 'establish any kind of social democracy' mean? It still all sounds like win actual votes and take actual power, but what if the real outcome is to shift the discourse such that - for example - the main parties have to stop taking the north so much for granted and make some policy plays to win support for once?

Isn't that what's happening now? Policy plays for northern votes?

Isn't that what's happening now? Policy plays for northern votes?
Until this, not really. For all the talk about the Red Wall, the Tories haven't done much - whither Northern Powerhouse? - and Labour exactly fuck all.

Until this, not really. For all the talk about the Red Wall, the Tories haven't done much - whither Northern Powerhouse? - and Labour exactly fuck all.

I thought the reason the Tories hadn't bothered with the north was because of the Red Wall and now that it has crumbled they are all for making policy that will keep us sweet? Labour though, yeah, not sure I'll ever feel ok about them again. Fuck knows who to vote for now tbh.

I've met Thelma Walker a few times, although not since she left the Labour Party. I think she's alright.

But they've put a fucking whippet in their logo. Sorry, that's me out.

It looks like a Greyhound. Seriously. Whippets have a skinnier neck and head.

I thought the reason the Tories hadn't bothered with the north was because of the Red Wall and now that it has crumbled they are all for making policy that will keep us sweet?
I suspect that they would vaguely like to retain their new northern voters, but won't be able to do anything because - like the frog and the scorpion - it's in their very nature not to. I'm in a swing seat that went Tory and I've seen nothing. Meanwhile there is no active threat from any other party so why bother trying very hard?

In my experience a whippet is something that people in London make jokes about 'northerners' having. Maybe everyone up there actually does have a whippet and therefore it's fine as an emblem.

I think there's also the issue that while there is a strong northern identity as mauvais said, there isn't very many instantly recognisable symbols of northerness that aren't either already taken by a county or city in the region, or which aren't pretty bleak or backward-looking.

I thought the reason the Tories hadn't bothered with the north was because of the Red Wall and now that it has crumbled they are all for making policy that will keep us sweet? Labour though, yeah, not sure I'll ever feel ok about them again. Fuck knows who to vote for now tbh.
The Tories have made some investment in the North but they've cherry picked locations and projects and its neither joined up or part of a strategy ( aside for them to say that they've done more than Labour governments.). The Tories are trying to buy Northern voters, Labour is trying to rely on Northern voters.

The Tories have made some investment in the North but they've cherry picked locations and projects and its neither joined up or part of a strategy ( aside for them to say that they've done more than Labour governments.). The Tories are trying to buy Northern voters, Labour is trying to rely on Northern voters.

Plus ca change.

Though in reality it would more likely t’ be Lurcher nowadays.

Lurchers are miles better anyway. Whippets always look like they got their name from a form of corporal punishment. Quivering away and looking at you like "don't beat me again, please don't." I always feel mega guilty around Whippets. I feel like shouting "I haven't done anything you skinny twat!"

It is something people in London make jokes about northerners having, which makes it part of a long tradition of people reclaiming and re-using negative tropes positively.
Only if it's accepted by the people it's supposed to represent. Some responses on this thread suggest it isn't. If Plaid Cymru chose to have a sheep as their logo I reckon there would be objections.

Why have they changed it from what it was at the beginning of the thread -

Screenshot 2021-03-31 at 09.45.50.jpg

I think there's also the issue that while there is a strong northern identity as mauvais said, there isn't very many instantly recognisable symbols of northerness that aren't either already taken by a county or city in the region, or which aren't pretty bleak or backward-looking.

Screen-Shot-2018-10-15-at-11.29.24-640x360.png

I'm a bit disappointed by their policy on sheep worrying. Obviously, farmers livelihoods and all that, but ecologically it would be far better to focus on how to support farmers in moving away from sheep rearing rather than creating new laws to protect the industry.

How could you not vote for this cute dog?

1500x500

Tories: vote Tory or we kill this dog.

(meanwhile, Starmer chases the declining cat people vote)

(meanwhile, Starmer chases the declining cat people vote)

i'm not sure about starmer as a cat person.

i can't really see him having anything with more personality than a pet rock, to be honest...

but there is clearly a lack of a clear and viable feline alternative at the moment...

I certainly see Keith as being, if anything, a cat person.

It's one of the reasons I'm not keen...
015.1 (1).jpg
My dog, looking through Keith's recent tweets, and thinking nah, he's one of those dodgy cat cunts...

Back
Top Bottom