Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nicola Bulley Missing

how insensitive? i was actually thinking of a documentary i had seen featuring an elderly gentleman who had lost a relative in a tower block collapse.Through his tears he said "we were the lucky ones you know because at least we had a body".

You're trying to find easy answers where there aren't any. And the descriptions of some of the patterns and behaviours involved seem to be completely outside your experience. You're asking people to explain decisions at the lowest points of a life, and some of that is coming from people's own experiences of the lowest points of their lives, though I think you're miles off from an academic perspective too. It is, as kabbes pointed out, something you 'just don't get', and it's not magically going to click through a post on here.

TLDR just leave it.

how insensitive? i was actually thinking of a documentary i had seen featuring an elderly gentleman who had lost a relative in a tower block collapse.Through his tears he said "we were the lucky ones you know because at least we had a body".
Look. I know what am talking about where suicide is concerned,, and I therefore know that kabbes knows what he's talking about. Yet you've simply defied his attempts to introduce a bit of knowledge and nuance into a discussion around suicide issues, and doubled down with clodhopping, ignorant responses to someone else talking about suicide.

It's not that you're completely and utterly wrong - it is that you persist in insisting that you are not.

And you are wrong.

Absolutely no fucking idea whatsoever what the police think they've achieved by stating NB had alcohol problems and concerns regarding early menopause.

A shit-fisted attempt to deflect attention from their own incompetence perhaps. It seems to have worked though as most of the speculation is now about suicide, including on this thread.

Agree with you Spymaster

Plenty criticism today of the police "destroying" Nicola's reputation by releasing an exceptional amount of alleged data about her alleged struggles with alcohol abd menopause.

"A former detective has said that Lancashire Police have "completely destroyed" Nicola Bulley’s reputation by revealing her struggles with alcohol."

"Martyn Underhill told Sky News that he had never "seen such a level of detail" released in a missing persons case and added that one had to ask why officers were releasing it now."

"Ms Bulley has been missing since 27 January after vanishing when she took her dog for a walk by the River Wyre in Lancashire."

"Speaking to Sky's Kay Burley, Mr Underhill, who was a detective involved in the Sarah Payne case, said he was "confused" by Lancashire Police's strategy."

"You can understand why some people are saying it's victim blaming to protect their own reputation, " he said."

"I can't see how it progresses the case any further forward now we're three weeks in, to be frank."

What it does do is to shift the focus somewhat and takes it off the police and their lack of progress...and possibe errors of judgement.

Absolutely no fucking idea whatsoever what the police think they've achieved by stating NB had alcohol problems and concerns regarding early menopause.

A shit-fisted attempt to deflect attention from their own incompetence perhaps. It seems to have worked though as most of the speculation is now about suicide, including on this thread.

They could argue that they have given this update to be completely transparent about why Nicola was classed as vulnerable. And also because it will generate more media.

Not my defence, but a defence I guess.

The police released too little info to start with, and too much info yesterday.

If they'd just said she was vulnerable at the beginning, it wouldn't all have kicked off.
actually, they did say she was vulnerable at the beginning, just very vaguely so it didn't garner much attention.

The police released too little info to start with, and too much info yesterday.

If they'd just said she was vulnerable to start with, it wouldn't all have kicked off.

Probably right....and doing so now really isnt helpful to anyone. Bar the police.
Did the police know about her issues to begin with or did her friends and family tell the much later?

They apparently knew because they had sent a police car and care team to the house in mid January to the house after a call to them.

Just to add..the friends all said what a great mum she was and that she had no issues.

actually, they did say she was vulnerable at the beginning, just very vaguely so it didn't garner much attention.

If they did say that, they they did a good job of covering it up by talking about slipping and falling while trying to get a dog's ball and all sorts of other ludicrous nonsense which had the effect of making the disappearance seem weirdly inexplicable and led to nationwide interest.

Did they? I didn't read that anywhere. Everything said about her was that she was in good spirits and planning play dates for her children.

Probably right....and doing so now really isnt helpful to anyone. Bar the police.

They apparently knew because they had sent a police car and carr team to the house in mid January to the house after a call to them.
Ah ok I thought the police were told later about her problems, if so why did the police realise this info in the first place

Did they? I didn't read that anywhere. Everything said about her was that she was in good spirits and planning play dates for her children.
both are plausible, shedloads of people are officially 'vulnerable' - it doesn't necessarily mean they aren't basically okay. It could just be there on one of various medications.

Ah ok I thought the police were told later about her problems, if so why did the police realise this info in the first place

They stated clearly in the press conference that her partner told them about her vulnerabilities when first contacting them to report her missing.

When these details were announced, I assumed* the family must have given permission for them to be released, but it's now being reported that the police told the family they would be making this public, rather than seeking consent.

* rather naively, I admit

It's also fucking rotten of the police to discuss her menopause.

Why? Should it only be spoken of in hushed tones in private, or just swept under the 'mental health' umbrella? Not a dig, genuinely wonder why do you think that, is it really any different to mentining the alcohol or anything else?

TBH I expect some of the reason for announcing what they did is to try and slow the absolute shitty loon speculation on the internet by giving some background to why they think no third party involvement is the most likely outcome.

When these details were announced, I assumed* the family must have given permission for them to be released, but it's now being reported that the police told the family they would be making this public, rather than seeking consent.

Ditto. This is key, isn’t it.

It's complicated though, should the family have a say on what gets made public? Even if the police think it might help the investigation? And even if in some other cases the family might be under suspicion for having some involvement? The police are acting on behalf of the missing person really, not the family.

Why? Should it only be spoken of in hushed tones in private, or just swept under the 'mental health' umbrella?

TBH I expect some of the reason for announcing what they did is to try and slow the absolute shitty loon speculation on the internet by giving some background to why they think no third party involvement is the most likely outcome.

How does mentioning menopause as a previous cause of her ongoing alcohol problems help with that? It seems the whole situation with the speculation has been caused by the police desperately avoiding any allusion to the "s" word. That's what has been "spoken of in hushed tones in private, or just swept under the 'mental health' umbrella."

They could have just said she was at risk of harming herself from the start, like the police do in lots of missing person appeals.

Back
Top Bottom