Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nicola Bulley Missing

I don’t need to assume it. “Rationality” is a reified perspective of positivist epistemology that pays no mind to how people actually understand their lives. Ask somebody to explain their life and you will get an edited narrative plotted into a story, not a logical description of every event. Decisions are embodied responses to the model of reality we hold in our head at the time of the event, not pre-plotted logical rationalisations.
Not at all sure what this means .But I do know that when I get on the double-decker bus each morning it's sensible for me to assume that the driver will stop if he encounters a low bridge.We make assumptions of that kind every day and to do otherwise would quickly make life impossible

Not at all sure what this means .But I do know that when I get on the double-decker bus each morning it's sensible for me to assume that the driver will stop if he encounters a low bridge.We make assumptions of that kind every day and to do otherwise would quickly make life impossible
And yet bridges are regularly damaged as a result of drivers driving into them.

Yes and my point is I cannot proceed on the assumption that this will happen if I did so I would not get very far
And?

You think that every time a driver approaches a bridge, he considers what is a logical act? Or “rational”, if you insist, which is a term you are presumably basing on some kind of propositional logic? He carefully calculates the height of the vehicle and the height of the bridge and compares the two in a mathematical inevitability?

Or do you think that the driver simply reacts at the time to avoid something he wants to avoid in that moment? Which he has made an intuitive decision is dangerous?

crikey i am simply saying that although i generally do not know the driver of my bus from Adam i cannot dwell on the possibility that he may be a homicidal maniac
i.e because i have to get to work,

I haven't seen this from the latest torygraph story before, not sure where they go it gfrom

Later clarifying what they meant by "vulnerabilities" the police said that having spoken to her partner, Paul, it was clear Nicola suffered "significant issues with alcohol which were brought on by her ongoing struggles with the menopause".

They added that these had "resurfaced over recent months".

They also revealed a response car staffed by both police and health professionals attended a "report of concern for welfare" at Nicola’s home address on January 10. No one has been arrested in relation to this incident, but it is being investigated.

I haven't seen this from the latest torygraph story before, not sure where they go it gfrom

Later clarifying what they meant by "vulnerabilities" the police said that having spoken to her partner, Paul, it was clear Nicola suffered "significant issues with alcohol which were brought on by her ongoing struggles with the menopause".

They also revealed a response car staffed by both police and health professionals attended a "report of concern for welfare" at Nicola’s home address on January 10. No one has been arrested in relation to this incident, but it is being investigated.
well if that implies that she had recently made an attempt on her own life that is quite significant.

crikey i am simply saying that although i generally do not know the driver of my bus from Adam i cannot dwell on the possibility that he may be a homicidal maniac
i.e because i have to get to work,
That has nothing to do with the situation we are discussing, though.

I mean, the passengers of Germanwings flight 9525 probably assumed their pilot wouldn’t choose to fly into a mountain. People do things in the moment because in that moment it is “rational” to them to do it

That has nothing to do with the situation we are discussing, though.

I mean, the passengers of Germanwings flight 9525 probably assumed their pilot wouldn’t choose to fly into a mountain. People do things in the moment because in that moment it is “rational” to them to do it

Yeah, was going to mention that; see also MH370 and the recent China Eastern crash.

So is he suggesting she was pissed that morning, which would be weird if he was fine with her driving, or a bit hungover which isn’t evidence of anything at all?

I think again this just dwells a bit too much on a very specific scenario. It could be that. It could just be the thought that it's impossible to cope without alcohol but impossible to be a good parent with it. There are any number of sub-factors under the umbrella of substance abuse and addiction that could eventually manifest in something like suicide.

well i will have to take your word for it that the pilot of germanwings 9525 thought it was rational to murder all those people that doesnt alter the fact that it was perfectly sensible behaviour to board the plane.

Vulnerable doesn't mean suicidal, it could mean she was taking anti depressants. Who isn't vulnerable anyway ffs.

I don't buy the idea she was abducted. No sign of struggle, dogs harness taken off, phone left neatly on bench. I still think she planned to disappear and knew people would assume she'd drowned. The taking off the harness seems like someone thinking clearly to me...wouldnt want the dog getting snagged or drowning looking for her. She must have had an accomplice.
People assume mothers don't run off and leave their partners and kids...it might be rare, but it happens. If she was depressed since having kids then running away and starting a new life might have felt like the better option, if the other was suicide.

Admittedly I don't want her to be dead or abducted. If she has escaped somewhere she's done a bloody good job of it.

Going to try and post this sensibly.

As a man who since his 30s has been plagued with suicidal thoughts, even though I was a successful business owner, I can confirm that if you are going to do it, you don't mention it.

You make out you're fine to everyone, but you mentally plan.

I wouldn't want anyone to find my body, which rules out a lot of options. I also don't want my family to go through the finality of it.

So, you look at other options. And "disappearing" is the most attractive one. Never seen again. They hope that I'm still alive.

I don't want my family to see my corpse, I just want them to prosper after it's accepted that I'm gone.

I'm not a successful businessman now, far from it. My business has failed, I've had to borrow money from my family, my kids don't know, my missus doesn't know but as a man who is used to making difficult business decisions I know that the £635k life insurance would set them all up.

Just means I'm not about.

That's why I won't. Because I want to be about,, I want to see the kids realise their dreams, I want to see the Baroness get well, even if it's incredibly difficult at the moment.

Never underestimate a persons ability to just "give up". Even if it's the last thing you'd think they would do.

That's why we should be nice to each other. Life is fucking tough and no one one cares, because everyone has their own shit going on.

Not sure he's suggesting either of these things, the point is she's not doing very well atm.
This. Plus, after saying they wanted the nature of the concerns to remain private, thats a fuck of a lot of detail without saying anything specific they've released. Which will do nothing too diminish all the online speculation they were also comparing about.

Vulnerable doesn't mean suicidal, it could mean she was taking anti depressants. Who isn't vulnerable anyway ffs.

I don't buy the idea she was abducted. No sign of struggle, dogs harness taken off, phone left neatly on bench. I still think she planned to disappear and knew people would assume she'd drowned. The taking off the harness seems like someone thinking clearly to me...wouldnt want the dog getting snagged or drowning looking for her. She must have had an accomplice.
People assume mothers don't run off and leave their partners and kids...it might be rare, but it happens. If she was depressed since having kids then running away and starting a new life might have felt like the better option, if the other was suicide.

Admittedly I don't want her to be dead or abducted. If she has escaped somewhere she's done a bloody good job of it.
why must she hae had an accomplice? genuine question
went all scots there

As a man who since his 30s has been plagued with suicidal thoughts, even though I was a successful business owner, I can confirm that if you are going to do it, you don't mention it.

I wouldn't want anyone to find my body, which rules out a lot of options. I also don't want my family to go through the finality of it.

So, you look at other options. And "disappearing" is the most attractive one. Never seen again. They hope that I'm still alive.

I don't want my family to see my corpse, I just want them to prosper after it's accepted that I'm gone.

I'm not a successful businessman now, far from it. My business has failed, I've had to borrow money from my family, my kids don't know, my missus doesn't know but as a man who is used to making difficult business decisions I know that the £635k life insurance would set them all up.

That's why I won't. Because I want to be about,, I want to see the kids realise their dreams, I want to see the Baroness get well, even if it's incredibly difficult at the moment.

Never underestimate a persons ability to just "give up". Even if it's the last thing you'd think they would do.

That's why we should be nice to each other. Life is fucking tough and no one one cares, because everyone has their own shit going on.
dont want to take anything away from your experience Joe but is it really that considerate to those left behind to leave them wondering whether you are alive or dead? Seem to remember from the dramatisation of the canoe man incident that you felt that the wife,though pleased at the prospect of insurance money,sort of hated him for putting her through the anguish of not knowing what had become of him.

Now also on BBC.

Yep, certainly reflects my experiences. Also a degree of not leaving 'an out', a need to have something elemental that removes the ability for a last minute change of mind.

dont want to take anything away from your experience Joe but is it really that considerate to those left behind to leave them wondering whether you are alive or dead? Seem to remember from the dramatisation of the canoe man incident that you felt that the wife,though pleased at the prospect of insurance money,sort of hated him for putting her through the anguish of not knowing what had become of him.

There's no perfect solution though. Again I think you're trying to make things fit into an objective rationality that isn't really there. We build frameworks around our actions that justify them to ourselves, but may seem batshit to anyone with different experiences.

like having a condition which required regular self medication.
FIFY.

Been out so not caught up with the thread yet but on my drive home radio 4 has said she liked a Don Revie. Sheds a bit more light of the whole disappearance and nobody else being involved. Poor lass. :(

No sign of bloody anything after the cops left the area where her phone and dog found unsecured

Back
Top Bottom