Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Nick Cohen and the Observer

Local journo in Stroud I vaguely know as he was the football correspondent got sacked by whoever that lot are who do all the locals so started an independent paper for the town first entirely online and was surprised to see they've just started a print edition too. Seem to be doing OK, fair bit of advertorial but also decent news and a clean website.

I assume 'The Stroud Times'?

That's an interesting exception to the general rule, they went into a joint partnership with the Cheltenham Post, also an independent, to launch their print edition.

There's a lot of independent local news sites doing well up against the big players, and a handful have moved into print with free titles, but the general trend is moving away from print, especially with paper costs going through the roof. The big three groups are all closing mainly free papers, but also a few paid-for titles, Reach & Newsquest the most, National World turned the free 'Brighton Independent' into the paid-for 'Brighton Indy' last May to save on printing 15,000 copies, which I guess they did, as it was only selling 376 copies according to its last ABC certificate, they closed it in June this year.

That's an interesting exception to the general rule, they went into a joint partnership with the Cheltenham Post, also an independent, to launch their print edition.

There's a lot of independent local news sites doing well up against the big players, and a handful have moved into print with free titles, but the general trend is moving away from print, especially with paper costs going through the roof. The big three groups are all closing mainly free papers, but also a few paid-for titles, Reach & Newsquest the most, National World turned the free 'Brighton Independent' into the paid-for 'Brighton Indy' last May to save on printing 15,000 copies, which I guess they did, as it was only selling 376 copies according to its last ABC certificate, they closed it in June this year.
Yes, that's the one. Can't remember if they gave much detail on their rationale, does seem against the tide.

Leeds Live is not so plagued with ads compared to the YEP, which also has a limit on how many articles you read, and Leeds Lives’ lead writer is called Wayne Ankers (his actual name honest!), so if YEP blocks me from viewing a story I just look it up there instead
Yep, it is his actual name.

I subscribe to The Mill in Manchester, which has sister sites the Liverpool Post and Sheffield Tribune. Independent media, small staff, some excellent reporting. Goes out by email newsletter, although they did do a print run late last year.

Seems the Jewish Chronicle are still publishing him but no surprise there. Alleged sex pest John Woodcock is one of the consortium of owners.
After a backlash on their Tweet, they reposted the tweet with his name removed and got backlash.

Also this has dropped

Seems the Jewish Chronicle are still publishing him but no surprise there. Alleged sex pest John Woodcock is one of the consortium of owners.
After a backlash on their Tweet, they reposted the tweet with his name removed and got backlash.

Also this has dropped

Eviscerates the Guardian there, very well written. What a criminal disgrace.

Twitter thread by Lucy Siegle (who is "W2"). Cohen actually had the cheek to write an article about women being sexually harassed last year. He even talked about feeling guilty for not doing more after one incident he apparently witnessed. Lots of sarcasm and something that may or may not be interesting about Guardian News Media's lawyers.

He continues with this eye witness account, 'It was so unexpected and over so quickly, I just stared. A year on, I am still ashamed of myself for not realising what was happening and intervening, and I still wonder if she goes out running by herself now.' Nick, I feel the same..

Can't help but also think of how he's been monetising his hostility towards trans people, packaged as some sort of concern for women's rights, the absolute charaltan.*

*allagedly

Worth a separate thread I think. I would argue that journalism and the news media in New Zealand is flourishing at the moment and I think I know what we're doing different...

You let Letts' mug slip through though
It wasn't huge and stary and afaik he isn't known for multiple sexual assaults and harassment so potentially triggering. But maybe I could've stuck a quick blob of paint over the twat's fizzog all the same.

How strange that Private Eye haven't gone near this one.
Isn't it. I know he's allegedly rather litigious, but they'd only be reporting on what's been said. Anyone would think they had some kind of loyalty to a rodent chewer.

Yes PE should have covered it. Whatever their education, they still run more stories on establishment corruption than all the mainstream media combined.

Jo Maugham dissects changes that have been made to a Press Gazette article on the business - basically editing it to make NC look slightly less awful, undermine LS' account and make GNM look slightly better. As ever, click through for the thread

In a completely shocking and unexpected turn of events, it would seem that whatever ailment it is that hastened Cohen's exit from the Observer has not been serious enough to prevent him from writing his Spectator column. Private Eye still oblivious to it all apparently

Back
Top Bottom