Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Mayoral Election 2024

I think I only pay attention to odds when the Grand National is on and it would be unusual for a horse in that race to have such odds as 1/100.
I have also seen odds like 463, -242 and 4.8 with no / fractions, which is even more confusing but I’m guessing there are now other ways of expressing odds.

I noticed last night I was getting Susan Hall ads while watching Youtube, one of which started with 'Sadiq Khan's obsession with ULEZ....' which just made me think 'The only people "obsessed" with ULEZ is you fucking lot'

Was just about to go into Sainbury's for my Bishops & other essentials and this vermin postered Landrover Defender came past with someone on a megaphone screeching on about voting tactically to "get Khan out". There are times when I do feel a long way from London. :(

Have cast my votes.

If you're watching results for London and see a bloke hanging about on stage who looks like me but with short grey hair, that's my brother who is Deputy Returning Officer, and also the man responsible for pissing off Lawrence Fox by emailing him to tell him he hadn't done his application to stand for mayor properly. :D
Well done that man

Also under London threads 🙄

Also under London threads 🙄
What’s with the snidey rolleyes?

I think I only pay attention to odds when the Grand National is on and it would be unusual for a horse in that race to have such odds as 1/100.
I have also seen odds like 463, -242 and 4.8 with no / fractions, which is even more confusing but I’m guessing there are now other ways of expressing odds.
Decimal odds are clearer but don’t really see them in bookies odds

3/1 is 4.0 in decimal odds

7/2 is 4.5

1/100 is 1.01

Etc

Decimal odds are clearer but don’t really see them in bookies odds

3/1 is 4.0 in decimal odds

7/2 is 4.5

1/100 is 1.01

Etc
I think that's clearer if you're betting and want to know how much you'll win, but I don't think they give a clear idea of the probability.

For me, the clearest way to express a probability is to use a number between 0 (definitely won't happen) and 1 (will definitely happen). That's probably because it's the most useful way to do it in maths, though. (If you prefer, you can multiply the number by 100 and express it as a percentage chance. )

Right. It's like someone's taken something relatively simple and tried to confuse the fuck out of everyone.
It tells you how much money you will receive back (including your stake) if you place a one unit bet and win. I can see how that would be useful for betting types.

100/1 isn't a round-number probability, though. It's roughly .99 or 99% but not exactly. It means you have a 100/101 probability of winning, which equals 0.990099..., or approximately 99.01%.

HTH ;)

Last edited:
I think that's clearer if you're betting and want to know how much you'll win, but I don't think they give a clear idea of the probability.

For me, the clearest way to express a probability is to use a number between 0 (definitely won't happen) and 1 (will definitely happen). That's probably because it's the most useful way to do it in maths, though. (If you prefer, you can multiply the number by 100 and express it as a percentage chance. )
Betting odds don’t indicate probability though. They just indicate what a bookie is willing to pay out.

To find the percentage probability you just diviide 100 by the decimal odd

7/2 or 4.5 = 22% chance

12/1 or 13.0 = 7.6% chance

1/100 or 1.01 = 99% chance

Right. It's like someone's taken something relatively simple and tried to confuse the fuck out of everyone.
I also don’t understand how 4.0 is the same as 3/1. Wouldn’t it be 3.0?
Glad I’m not a betting man as thinking about this is making my head explode

Back
Top Bottom