Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Mayoral Election 2024

I think understanding odds has more use than just gambling, for example betting exchanges are very handy for keeping an eye on political ebbs and flows. There’s also no overround so you can often get a decent sense of the likelihood of something happening

Sorry to say these odds put Trump as favourite for next election at a 46% chance 😭

206C88FC-8A12-418A-B46A-C94B224D5E68.jpeg

But it cannot be in in the interests of a bookie to fairly assess the probability of an event occurring.

I think what they do is mathematically assess the probability of an outcome, and then put a price on it according to their risk appetite, how much they want to attract punters, and loads of other shit.

That's why you'll often get different odds from different bookies for the same event.

pfft, one of those candidates is not even running.
Betting types seem like a superstitious and irrational lot to me, employing a lot of pseudoscience to justify their barely educated guesses about explicitly unpredictable outcomes.

I think what they do is mathematically assess the probability of an outcome, and then put a price on it according to their risk appetite, how much they want to attract punters, and loads of other shit.

That's why you'll often get different odds from different bookies for the same event.
Bookies are also gambling innit

Mostly they are just balancing the bets that have been placed. If more money is bet on A than B, then A becomes odds-on, B odds-against. If they do it right, the bookies win either way.

I think what they do is assess the probability of an outcome, and then put a price on it according to their risk appetite, how much they want to attract punters, and loads of other shit.

Also, they want to have a balanced book, so the amount already staked on alternative outcomes affects their pricing. You can’t ever use bookie odds as a proxy for likelihood. You sort of can with Betfair, which works more like a crowdsourcing model for predictions.

Edit - beaten by LBJ by a second.

It's worked on percentages and most books are around 20% over round (or a lot more) which means the bookie is working on a theoretical at least 20%+ profit margin, regardless of the winner. It is a license to print money.

It's also maths Spy so I'll stop there.

It's worked on percentages and most books are around 20% over round (or a lot more) which means the bookie is working on a theoretical at least 20%+ profit margin, regardless of the winner. It is a license to print money.

Yeah, that makes sense. On cricinfo, their 'next batter out' live odds are often both 5/6, which equals roughly a 20% profit margin. Where it's just a two-horse race, the bookie's margin is instantly obvious.

To be fair to people who deserve no fairness, that’s not the profit margin, because even the online bookies have some fixed costs, and the high street ones have substantial overhead.

Odds are a useful mathematical trick to use for logistic regression. A probability can only run from 0 to 1. However, p/(1-p), which is the odds, can run from 0 to infinity. Take the log of it, and the result goes from negative infinity to positive infinity, and a typical exponential S-curve turns linear to boot. And that means that you can run regression on it.

Odds are a useful mathematical trick to use for logistic regression. A probability can only run from 0 to 1. However, p/(1-p), which is the odds, can run from 0 to infinity. Take the log of it, and the result goes from negative infinity to positive infinity, and a typical exponential S-curve turns linear to boot. And that means that you can run regression on it.
Have you voted yet Kabbes?

Damn, beat me by 15 mins.

:hmm:

The only time I ever stepped in a bookies was to do a political bet on who would become the next Labour leader. I put ten quid on Ed Miliband and made seventy quid. I bought a handbag with the proceeds. It’s what Ed would have wanted.

The only time I ever stepped in a bookies was to do a political bet on who would become the next Labour leader. I put ten quid on Ed Miliband and made seventy quid. I bought a handbag with the proceeds. It’s what Ed would have wanted.
For me, if would have funded a series of increasingly hard-to-eat bacon sandwiches

Back
Top Bottom