Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist bookfair 2020

Why stop now? It's what it always come back to with this crowd.

And you wonder why people don't want your shitty orgs at their bookfairs.

https://twitter.com/binacg2
First of all, none of the people “japing” were ACG members. And secondly the bizarre, anonymous Twitter account you’ve linked to is hardly doing your case any favours.

Why stop now? It's what it always come back to with this crowd.

And you wonder why people don't want your shitty orgs at their bookfairs.

https://twitter.com/binacg2
For the avoidance of doubt, I am not an ACG member, and the ACG should not be blamed for my posts. I am a member of Unison, but they don't have a stall at the bookfair - rightly so, since they're a hierarchical and reformist group, although fwiw I think we do actually have quite a good position in support of trans rights. Which just goes to show that trans people and their allies are mostly winning the argument within the broad working-class movement, or what's left of it.
Anyway, in your opinion, what would the ACG need to do to stop being transphobic? For what it's worth, I think their current statement on trans rights is quite good, and an improvement on the previous one. I notice that medium article, which I presume is yours, says "Their characterisation of Feminism and Tran-rights as two separate entities’ show how much they’ve drank the terf talking points, but hey, They apparently just want to help transies and the women who hate them get along eh?" The current ACG statement says "We believe that it is unhelpful to set up a false dichotomy, as has widely been done, between “feminism” and “trans rights”. These are not struggles inherently in opposition to each other, but which are worth fighting for together". Now, it could be that the ACG are liars, like their father the devil, and when they say that they actually mean something completely different, but if that's what we're going to assume then it's hard to see any way forward really.
Utterly bonkers, but at least has the courage to say what Rhyddical won't.

ETA: Scratch that, as it seems this twitter account could be a Rhyddical sock puppet.
Fwiw, I'm pretty sure that Rhyddical and SE22 are two different people. The binacg person seems like they're shouting at the bookfair collective from the outside, and I imagine that if they had access to the bookfair email account the ACG would at least have received a clear and unambiguous answer to their enquiries by now.

In passing, I thought I was a proper nerd about this stuff, but the mention of the FDA really had me scratching my head there. On reflection, I think it's probably the Föderation deutschsprachiger AnarchistInnen and not the Food and Drug Administration who are accused of... something or other, but who knows?

FWIW, Plan C have taken a friendly attitude towards the ACG after the 2017 Bookfair and Plan C members were at the large meeting in North London ( over 50 people) in early 2018, which included members of the old Bookfair Collective, Haringey Solidarity Group etc etc to discuss the repercussions. So no, they wouldn't have tried to block us from having a stall.

FWIW, Plan C have taken a friendly attitude towards the ACG after the 2017 Bookfair and Plan C members were at the large meeting in North London ( over 50 people) in early 2018, which included members of the old Bookfair Collective, Haringey Solidarity Group etc etc to discuss the repercussions. So no, they wouldn't have tried to block us from having a stall.

Weren’t Plan C in that really rubbish Sweeny reboot film with Ray Winston? Seems an odd thing for an Anarchist group to do…

Examine the same spelling mistakes e.g. "doxxing" instead of "doxing", " arn't " instead of "aren't" the same quite uncommon greeting "heya", plus many other expressions and turns of phrase, as well as a detailed knowledge of what happened inside the AF leading up to and after the split, and alarm bells start ringing. I'm saying nothing more.

Yeah, I was going to say that from my knowledge of Plan C they seem very much opposed to that way of doing things, so I would've been very surprised if that was the case.
Weren’t Plan C in that really rubbish Sweeny reboot film with Ray Winston? Seems an odd thing for an Anarchist group to do…
Maybe, but I don't think you should be banned from the bookfair for being in a rubbish film with Ray Winston.
Examine the same spelling mistakes e.g. "doxxing" instead of "doxing", " arn't " instead of "aren't" the same quite uncommon greeting "heya", plus many other expressions and turns of phrase, as well as a detailed knowledge of what happened inside the AF leading up to and after the split, and alarm bells start ringing. I'm saying nothing more.
Fwiw, doxxing is a pretty common way of spelling it, most dictionaries will give that variant, it's the spelling used in IGD's regular antifascist column and so on, so I wouldn't think of that spelling as being distinctive. I can see how the overall writing styles feel a bit similar, though.

In passing, I looked up SE22 to see where it was, and realised I actually know where it is and someone I know used to live round there, which may not be impressive to anyone else but was surprising for me cos I really don't know that much of London. So if the East Dulwich bookfair ever happens, we may all be banned from it, but at least it's near that really fancy Wetherspoons that used to be a cinema.

There are so many idiosyncratic similarities that it's highly unlikely that Rhyddical and the author of that twitter account are different people. I'm calling sock puppet.

And I suspect SE22 is a Rhyddical sock puppet here, too.

There are so many idiosyncratic similarities that it's highly unlikely that Rhyddical and the author of that twitter account are different people. I'm calling sock puppet.

And I suspect SE22 is a Rhyddical sock puppet here, too.

Tbh I don't really care. It doesn't make this any more or less toxic than it already is.

I'm not spending £25 to go into London next Saturday now though.

The master criminal always makes one fatal error and theirs was not using a spellchecker

I did used to have a pet theory that having a functioning infrastructure to take care of acted as a restraint on political disputes getting too nasty, based on the relative stability of things like the 1 in 12 or Cowley clubs, where there would actually be some level of real material consequences to the people running them not being able to settle their differences in a reasonable manner. Having said that, as noted above, the past five or six years of Labour Party stuff seems to completely fuck my theory out of the water.
Obviously not familiar with recent developments at the Cowley Club then!

Back
Top Bottom