Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist Bookfair 2022

It's a bit old moaner anarchist point, but I do wish they wouldn't use images that look like a hippie kid has drawn. Too fucking subcultural by far, if I showed this to folks I worked with or lived near to encourage them to come they'd laugh at the idea this was an event of a serious political movement.

View attachment 389194

It's for instagram, not for grumpy old folk on forums. It popped up on my timeline and I thought it looked quite fun. (despite being an extremely grumpy old person). I can't see the harm.

Well, good to see this is happening- the threads over the years have provided one of the richest seams of entertainment on U75. Hope someone can be bothered starting one.

I intend attending both this and the radical bookfair in November this year and have built up a competitive dusty pamphlet budget

:thumbs:

Anyway I meant to say the whole capybara thing was started way before the gated community thing as a mainstream Facebook thing just because they're so cute and placid and chill, the gated community invasion was the icing on the cake for the more left leaning capy stans as we call ourselves.

It's a bit old moaner anarchist point, but I do wish they wouldn't use images that look like a hippie kid has drawn. Too fucking subcultural by far, if I showed this to folks I worked with or lived near to encourage them to come they'd laugh at the idea this was an event of a serious political movement.

View attachment 389194

This should dispel any doubts that your cynical workmates might have

Anyway I meant to say the whole capybara thing was started way before the gated community thing as a mainstream Facebook thing just because they're so cute and placid and chill, the gated community invasion was the icing on the cake for the more left leaning capy stans as we call ourselves.
Ah, OK. Well, you know, I’m more of a primate person myself, but whatever.

TBF I bet it isn't a poster designed to be flyposted or stuck up like ye olden days when people used to advertise it in the real world, it's just an image on their website. Probably done by one of their mates.
It’s still advertising it. I’m sure Whitechapel Gallery is easy to find but I doubt anyone not acquainted with it would know LARC or Freedom and I’d have to google Richmix which I’ve never heard of.

It’s still advertising it. I’m sure Whitechapel Gallery is easy to find but I doubt anyone not acquainted with it would know LARC or Freedom and I’d have to google Richmix which I’ve never heard of.

No, but you're only going to come across it with the extra info about venue details on the text of the Instagram or Twitter post, that's what I mean, it's not a standalone bit of info to be flyposted or advertised as it.

It's the same everywhere - everyone from the tankies to the fash have gotten into the habit of self-referential meme subculture.

The tankies do seem to be even more comically mad tbf, didn't they also have a phase of wearing all black with red masks and marching with co-ordinated flags just for the social media likes and feeling cool?

As a project initiated by members of the Michael Keith led Labour Council it got caught up in the toxic local politics of Tower Hamlets. A google search on 'Rich Mix controversy' will throw up links, although as with anything written about Tower Hamlets politics it's strongly advisable to switch the 'partisan bullshit filter' to it's highest setting.

Fwiw, I am broadly in favour of having cute animals on flyers and things because people generally like cute animals and you can't just have pictures of hospitalised coppers on everything all the time (I'm choosing to ignore the possibility that there might be a secret third thing you can put on flyers that's neither a cute animal nor a hospitalised copper). But without wanting to go too Farage, British animals for British anarchists and so on, I do think a raccoon is a bit of a rubbish choice seeing as no raccoons live here, so a very high proportion of London bookfair attendees or potential attendees will never have encountered them in real life. I reckon a fox would be a much better choice, as the animal that occupies a similar niche but can actually be found in London, with the added bonus that the main natural predator of foxes is aristocrats on horses.
If I was in charge of doing the flyer for the Prague anarchist bookfair I would definitely put loads of them nutrient things all over it, but since I don't live in Prague, or know any Czech anarchists, and I'm not really that good at making flyers, it's probably not that likely to come up any time soon.

Well yes there is also the ongoing and lamentable rise of insurrectionist types with terrible writing style.

I hope the bloke with the balaclava at the 2022 Bookfair is back this year though.

The 2017 bookfair had the little gang (three of them I think) with 2 dressed in camouflage and the third being that loon tech geek Rojava person (the name escapes me) who all invaded the stage when the Syria talk and discussion by Robin and Leila was going on to talk about pyramids, Rojava, etc. Absolutely insane, I think the main person was outed as ending up hanging out with fascists somewhere in Europe.

Ah, this was the bloke Amir Taaki - Wikipedia

Tolerating people like him is a significant part of why I don't have anything to do with the anarchist scene anymore.

What is it with raccoons?
Coming back to this thread cos I've only just remembered that Manchester used a raccoon for their bookfair way back in 2021, despite Manchester also being a fairly raccoon-free city:
1694943375695.jpeg
Not sure what this proves, other than the well-known fact that anything that happens in London is usually just a belated pale imitation of something that happened a few years earlier in the North.

Back
Top Bottom