Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist Bookfair 2022

I'm not sure who you'd ask from an anarchist perspective though. There aren't any groups or individuals that spring to mind who aren't from the region I'd be particularly interested in hearing discuss it. And the Skateboarders Against The War never turned up :(
Clueless

When I joined my first anarchist group in 1972 or so, anarchism in the UK had no real significance at all for most people. Things have changed a little bit, but not a lot, probably due more to Johnny Rotten than anyone or anything else.
Among a section on the left there is sympathy or association with anarchism, which wasn't always there. Anarchist ideas and ideals are widely accepted, but they always have been. It's only when the individual ideas and strands of anarchist thought are put together that people have trouble with it all, that it all seems unachievable and utopian.
How to change that is a huge problem, maybe with no solution.
Bookfairs can be great if you are a bit of a bookworm and interested in anarchism already. That excludes so much of society. That doesn't mean they aren't worth organising. Just don't expect too much.

I'm not sure who you'd ask from an anarchist perspective though. There aren't any groups or individuals that spring to mind who aren't from the region I'd be particularly interested in hearing discuss it. And the Skateboarders Against The War never turned up :(
I reckon London Makhnovists would be worth hearing from? Fwiw, this event looked pretty worthwhile, maybe you'd have to swap out the AWL for one of the assorted leftcom groups to make it more bookfair-friendly though:

But general point taken that I'm sure everyone slagging off the bookfair for not doing a Ukraine meeting has probably slagged the British left off in the past for being too focused on international stuff, too much Bolivia and not enough Basildon etc.

But general point taken that I'm sure everyone slagging off the bookfair for not doing a Ukraine meeting has probably slagged the British left off in the past for being too focused on international stuff, too much Bolivia and not enough Basildon etc.
It's the not allowing a meeting rather than not having one that concerns me.

I was as disappointed as you were with SATW ( In Ukraine) tbh. I heard they didn't show up as someone on the organising committee, probably that bloke with the yellow fluorescent jacket, pointed out that legally they should be called Skateboarders Against The Special Operation ( SATSO-In Ukraine) and that would require re-registering for the stall. Hopefully, they will be on next year though.

Lots to say about that, but I think there's pretty clear arguments why the Ukraine war has a much more direct impact on us here than whatever is happening in Bolivia etc. But either way I think the bulk of what we do needs to be about what's going on where we live and work, but not neglecting international perspectives is also important, even if it's in some part to stop us getting too parochially obsessive about our own 'local' issues by trying to prevent that well worn slide of people from a wider pro-revolutionary struggle/activism into myopic 'community politics' where they end up lobbying the local council for more zebra crossings and litter picking.

Want to like and dislike lots of the previous posts (sometimes both for the same post...) about the Bookfair and anarchism in 2020s Britain. Might try and write more later.

I think the bulk of what we do needs to be about what's going on where we live and work
Exactly. And Sick of It All is a good example of that. When I was in the ACG, we had an education workers’ section that I was part of, as well as other industry specific sections. Especifismo and social insertion, to use the horrible (and potentially slightly misleading) jargon.

That’s got to be the focus. Getting involved in real issues specific to our communities and workplaces.

Am appreciating the discussion here, keep on meaning to write an actual post with some substance to it but this week so far hasn't really been allowing me the time/headspace.

Reactions: LDC
Am appreciating the discussion here, keep on meaning to write an actual post with some substance to it but this week so far hasn't really been allowing me the time/headspace.

Yeah same, there's lots of interesting stuff to discuss, and questions to think on. Might have to be the weekend now.

I reckon London Makhnovists would be worth hearing from? Fwiw, this event looked pretty worthwhile, maybe you'd have to swap out the AWL for one of the assorted leftcom groups to make it more bookfair-friendly though:

The general rule on the left is the further away it is the easier it is to support which is one of the reasons so few groups have had any focus on Ireland North or south in the past 50 years

I managed to watch/listen to this ,off and on , which at 3 hours long is no mean feat tbh. Great pity there wasn't better planning around the length of contributions because in a sea of words there were the occasional sightings of land worth exploring further, mainly from Plan C and Angry Workers. The latter at least had a go at exploring workers self activity and made an interesting point that the activity by some workers organisations in some countries against NATO couldn't just be dismissed as Stalinism although there was a legacy of the CP in trade union action. The AWL veered between all gloss and no substance to hectoring, Sotsialnyi Rukh came across as some form of monopoly gatekeepers to independent unions and were full of their own self importance not on the basis of anything more concrete than they were Ukrainian tbh and the discussion at the end was very disappointing. Better than a lot of the stuff on these boards and worth listening to in small batches IMO

The general rule on the left is the further away it is the easier it is to support which is one of the reasons so few groups have had any focus on Ireland North or south in the past 50 years

How do you feel about Ireland?
Ireland?
Yeah, Ireland That place, it's just across the sea
Oh yeah, I know the place
Well they said:
"We're for Sandinista, Cuba's militia
The PLO, M.P.L.A, Afghanistan and Babylon"
They went on and on and on and on

Yup.

An example I always return to is the 1926 general strike. There existed then a working network of trades councils. That structure was adapted to help the coordination of news, food supplies, and much else.

Even when I was active in the anti poll tax movement in the late 80s, the trades councils (although much reduced from their status of the 1920s) were still an important resource. Now, there is no such infrastructure.

There is nominally a trades council in Glasgow. But it’s sewn up by the mainstream unions, has no democratic input and is inaccessible by working class people, and in any case isn’t real. It exists in name only.
This mention of Trades Councils prompted a thought (generally, not specifically about the bookfair or indeed this post). I would largely agree with the above, at least up until fairly recently.

Over the last few years here the TC has become more relevant. But that's not because of the old RMT/Unite/PCS delegates have suddenly become 'better', it's because of the involvement of the newer unions like the IGWB and their tactics and successes at organising being undoubtedly impressive and everyone wanting in on it. It's given them a whole new audience and relevance.

Which all sounds good, but isn't a point of the IWW and it's... legacy organisations, not to be a part of the traditional TU network? Won't this drag them down and turn them into just another union? On one level, the advantage to both is obvious, but on another does it risk undermining the broader aims of the union?

The IWW yes, the IWGB as is though is a base union, not necessarily a syndicalist one with an inherent critique of trades council engagement. Their small size and younger/more activist leadership grants them energy and flexibility but the odds are that time and growth will see them settle into a more bureaucratic form.

I managed to watch/listen to this ,off and on , which at 3 hours long is no mean feat tbh. Great pity there wasn't better planning around the length of contributions because in a sea of words there were the occasional sightings of land worth exploring further, mainly from Plan C and Angry Workers. The latter at least had a go at exploring workers self activity and made an interesting point that the activity by some workers organisations in some countries against NATO couldn't just be dismissed as Stalinism although there was a legacy of the CP in trade union action. The AWL veered between all gloss and no substance to hectoring, Sotsialnyi Rukh came across as some form of monopoly gatekeepers to independent unions and were full of their own self importance not on the basis of anything more concrete than they were Ukrainian tbh and the discussion at the end was very disappointing. Better than a lot of the stuff on these boards and worth listening to in small batches IMO
Cor, you've got a better attention span than I do - I'd also been meaning to get around to watching the whole thing, but my attempts at watching it have been a bit more off than on so far.

Cor, you've got a better attention span than I do - I'd also been meaning to get around to watching the whole thing, but my attempts at watching it have been a bit more off than on so far.
The dogs woke me up at 5 so I thought might as well start listening. Did it in shifts. Tbh an hour would have been quite sufficient if the subject matter/ discussion had been more focussed

Bookfair interviews etc
To celebrate the 2022 London Anarchist Bookfair Dissident Island and Radio Ava joined forces to collect various voices from the bookfair and beyond. Noises on offer include:

00:00:00 - 00:06:12 Introduction & Radical Whores
00:09:13 - 00:28:16 Don't Pay UK
00:31:23 - 00:58:50 The Rise of Ecofascism
01:01:03 - 01:19:54 Terribe People Zine
01:22:25 - 01:40:43 ACAB legal update (with words from Bristol Defendant Solidarity)
01:42:30 - 02:02:00 Palestine Action
02:06:16 - 02:20:28 Touchpaper
02:24:00 - 02:50:38 Professor G on the persistence of the monarchy
02:55:50 - 03:08:41 Man-Made Zine (instagram: @manmadezine)
03:12:50 - 03:32:17 Final remarks and sounds from the Chris Kaba demonstration in September

I've not heard anything about it, which I think is probably a sign of a bookfair that went smoothly?

Back
Top Bottom