Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist Bookfair 2022

This is a great way to get people intrigued about what the post says, will I be able to buy a PDF of the mystery post at the next bookfair?
  • Funny quip about old people
  • Obligatory comment about helicopter posting by Bookfair organisers
  • Acid remark presumably misinterpreting somebody mentioning they had met a person and another person for something else
Barely enough to fit on a funny purple ink single-sider 🤷

I came early to the bishopsgate event. had a look around. A bit dusty, not much rooted in action and nothing addressing the issues we face today, It was a shame the workshops and meetings were elsewhere, the energy was dissipated. Noting that there was no meetings or discussion about Ukraine I couldn't be arsed to walk over. I had no desire to get pissed and so went home. It all seemed completely irrelevant.

Talks included Don't Pay, the new strike wave, Netpol on fighting the government's crackdown on civil rights, workplace organising talks, migrant solidarity and Earth First on climate direct action - not sure I'd call any of that particularly irrelevant. Also as someone who spent a fair bit of time and effort lugging books around on the day we did try to keep them dust free, many apologies if they weren't up to your exacting standards.

Is anyone else hoping that the appearance of a member called This Zosia Brom will summon a poster called That Zosia Brom, somewhat after the fashion Thing 1 and Thing 2 from the Cat in the Hat, or is that just me?

Is anyone else hoping that the appearance of a member called This Zosia Brom will summon a poster called That Zosia Brom, somewhat after the fashion Thing 1 and Thing 2 from the Cat in the Hat, or is that just me?
This Zosia Brom will have to fight That Zosia Brom, in a battle to the end, and as one lies defeated upon the ground, the other will lean in to salute their valour, and as they embrace lightning will strike them both and meld them together into The Zosia Brom.

Because there can only be one ⚔️

Last edited:
Talks included Don't Pay, the new strike wave, Netpol on fighting the government's crackdown on civil rights, workplace organising talks, migrant solidarity and Earth First on climate direct action - not sure I'd call any of that particularly irrelevant. Also as someone who spent a fair bit of time and effort lugging books around on the day we did try to keep them dust free, many apologies if they weren't up to your exacting standards.
Thanks for the apology but you missed the mark by a long way. Try harder.

I came early to the bishopsgate event. had a look around. A bit dusty, not much rooted in action and nothing addressing the issues we face today, It was a shame the workshops and meetings were elsewhere, the energy was dissipated. Noting that there was no meetings or discussion about Ukraine I couldn't be arsed to walk over. I had no desire to get pissed and so went home. It all seemed completely irrelevant.
I've been critical of how we got from the old bookfair to now and I'd tend to agree about the diminishing links to real world struggles. Having said that I think there was some attempt to relate to things like the cost of living horrors and I'd generally say that the new organisers took this on and it became their thing. It's also hard graft and you do put yourself in the firing line if you organise something like the bookfair, so there's a bit of slack to be cut. I'm probably all over the place then. The much more important point is that the increasing irrelevance to working class lives and struggle is one of the movement, not so much this bookfair. There's stuff going on like the Angry Workers and the rest and I was at the 'Martin and Lisa' meeting, but nobody could see contemporary anarchism in this country/countries as being relevant to where we are at. A point that could also be made about the wider left.

I've been critical of how we got from the old bookfair to now and I'd tend to agree about the diminishing links to real world struggles. Having said that I think there was some attempt to relate to things like the cost of living horrors and I'd generally say that the new organisers took this on and it became their thing. It's also hard graft and you do put yourself in the firing line if you organise something like the bookfair, so there's a bit of slack to be cut. I'm probably all over the place then. The much more important point is that the increasing irrelevance to working class lives and struggle is one of the movement, not so much this bookfair. There's stuff going on like the Angry Workers and the rest and I was at the 'Martin and Lisa' meeting, but nobody could see contemporary anarchism in this country/countries as being relevant to where we are at. A point that could also be made about the wider left.
What was the Martin and Lisa thing like?

A point that could also be made about the wider left.
Aye. I’ll talk about Glasgow, but I’m sure it’s the same everywhere. One of the things you notice is that every time there’s something on - demo in George Square, picket of the Home Office in Brand Street, A to B march, and so on - it’s the same faces, the same dwindling organisations. The same banners. It’s all seasoned hacks. No muggles. No outside interest.

For a while I thought the YCL in Glasgow was huge by comparison. Then I realised we were probably seeing pretty much the whole of its UK membership each time they turn up. (Well, I realised it with the help of another poster on this thread).

These events are just speaking to the same people. We turn up. We note how few organisation A has put on the street this time. We wander over to activist B and have a chat. The general public are oblivious. The working class is unaffected.

There is not a working class culture any more of mass May Day picnics, discussing politics in the park. But we’re still using the methods of yesteryear. Even online. In fact, I don’t think taking our presence online has broadened our reach at all. It has improved our ability to communicate with each other, but actually we’ve thrown ourselves into a virtual oubliette, and the outside world has no idea we’re in it or that it even exists.

There are breakthrough moments. The anti immigration raids solidarity. Kenmure Street. The new wave of strikes, for which general solidarity seems pretty good. In a small way, the Bookfair I helped organise was actually pretty good at bringing in new faces. But it was hardly a mass movement.

The things that have most impact are the quieter things we tend to get involved in. Individual solidarity work to assist a particular neighbour. Anti library closure campaigning. Networking in one’s community. Community mutual aid WhatsApp groups. Dealing with anti social behaviour. But these don’t tend to see the light of day.

Aye. I’ll talk about Glasgow, but I’m sure it’s the same everywhere. One of the things you notice is that every time there’s something on - demo in George Square, picket of the Home Office in Brand Street, A to B march, and so on - it’s the same faces, the same dwindling organisations. The same banners. It’s all seasoned hacks. No muggles. No outside interest.

For a while I thought the YCL in Glasgow was huge by comparison. Then I realised we were probably seeing pretty much the whole of its UK membership each time they turn up. (Well, I realised it with the help of another poster on this thread).

These events are just speaking to the same people. We turn up. We note how few organisation A has put on the street this time. We wander over to activist B and have a chat. The general public are oblivious. The working class is unaffected.

There is not a working class culture any more of mass May Day picnics, discussing politics in the park. But we’re still using the methods of yesteryear. Even online. In fact, I don’t think taking our presence online has broadened our reach at all. It has improved our ability to communicate with each other, but actually we’ve thrown ourselves into a virtual oubliette, and the outside world has no idea we’re in it or that it even exists.

There are breakthrough moments. The anti immigration raids solidarity. Kenmure Street. The new wave of strikes, for which general solidarity seems pretty good. In a small way, the Bookfair I helped organise was actually pretty good at bringing in new faces. But it was hardly a mass movement.

The things that have most impact are the quieter things we tend to get involved in. Individual solidarity work to assist a particular neighbour. Anti library closure campaigning. Networking in one’s community. Community mutual aid WhatsApp groups. Dealing with anti social behaviour. But these don’t tend to see the light of day.
I'm not all that active in stuff at the moment, but even from tootling along to various things in person and online, that's my experience/impression too. I particularly agree with the point about not doing things in the old ways. If the connection between people's everyday lives and the left is broken, turning up in the centre of town with red (or black) flags isn't always that useful. Equally, when you are working in a particular left/anarchist group and the question gets asked, 'we need to do something' and the answer comes back 'lets have a public meeting on the miners strike'... why? 'Our' history is important and something like the poll tax is a good example of how we can get rid of attacks on the working class (obvious links to cost of living today). But assuming these are all levers to pull and pathways to bring people in... nope.

In these circumstances the seeming failure of Enough is Enough to actually organise, take some risks, break the mould ... perhaps predictable, but really depressing.

If the connection between people's everyday lives and the left is broken, turning up in the centre of town with red (or black) flags isn't always that useful
Exactly.

I’m not interesting in “recruiting” people. I’m interested in working class communities regaining the self confidence necessary for self management. At the moment, the message isn’t being heard by many.

Did none of you go on BLM or Kill the Bill demos or meetings? They were nothing like being the same old faces and were full of young people.

Exactly.

I’m not interesting in “recruiting” people. I’m interested in working class communities regaining the self confidence necessary for self management. At the moment, the message isn’t being heard by many.
Yeah, sloppy wording when I said 'bring people in'. I do think it's about community organising, though all too many groups still have a 'this is us, come over and join us' model. That applies to the anti-austerity groups I've been involved in as well - 'open to all', but not active 'in'/part of working class communities.

Edit: and plenty of groups have quite exclusionary practices or at least very good ways of keeping people out. Not least by being boring as shit.

Did none of you go on BLM or Kill the Bill demos or meetings? They were nothing like being the same old faces and were full of young people.
I agree the former were big, while in vogue, but Kill the Bill things here were tiny. Probably partly due to a perception that the legislation didn’t directly affect Scotland. (It didn’t, but the indirect effect was hard to communicate).

Also, I’d ague BLM as a phenomenon was very student-centred, didn’t really engage working class communities, and hasn’t broadened out to wider resistance. Although its message was hugely important.

But yes, I could have included that in my short list of breakthrough moments.

I agree the former were big, while in vogue, but Kill the Bill things here were tiny. Probably partly due to a perception that the legislation didn’t directly affect Scotland. (It didn’t, but the indirect effect was hard to communicate).
I think the absence of continuous or self sustaining working class organisation was also a factor. However you theorise the relationship between race and class, there have to be organisational links. It wasn't so much that BLM has been and gone, it hasn't and will flare up again and, as you say, have all kinds of effects. But the opportunity for links and enrichment through the whole working class movement were limited precisely because the working class movement is so small and ossified. Not to say that there weren't useful developments in different places.

Your last sentence brought back memories of Cockers in defending why Workers Power weren't going anywhere, he'd always add on 'as is the wider left' as well.

I think the absence of continuous or self sustaining working class organisation was also a factor. However you theorise the relationship between race and class, there have to be organisational links. It wasn't so much that BLM has been and gone, it hasn't and will flare up again and, as you say, have all kinds of effects. But the opportunity for links and enrichment through the whole working class movement were limited precisely because the working class movement is so small and ossified. Not to say that there weren't useful developments in different places.
Yup.

An example I always return to is the 1926 general strike. There existed then a working network of trades councils. That structure was adapted to help the coordination of news, food supplies, and much else.

Even when I was active in the anti poll tax movement in the late 80s, the trades councils (although much reduced from their status of the 1920s) were still an important resource. Now, there is no such infrastructure.

There is nominally a trades council in Glasgow. But it’s sewn up by the mainstream unions, has no democratic input and is inaccessible by working class people, and in any case isn’t real. It exists in name only.

What was the Martin and Lisa thing like?
It was okay and had about 20 there (not actually that great a turnout I suppose). Martin - there are going to be riots when the full cost of living hits. We need to get on board. Well, we'll see, but I have an awful feeling there won't be riots, just flare ups of individual despair or at best small scale anger. Lisa's focus was on how she got Brexit right ;) and how UK anarchists don't understand working class lives. Stuff I was generally on board with.

After that the discussion was around 'things we could do', which included a few random and tentative suggestions. I do remember something about getting the land back, some stuff about leaflets (!), but I must admit I fell asleep. :oops: That all sounds very dismissive, not intended to be, I'm just very dopey. The tone of the meeting was a bit up and at 'em, positive and all about what anarchists/lib-communists could do, but equally a starting point of despair at the attacks taking place and the distance @ism has moved away from that battle. More alert comrades my be able to offer a better account.

Has the death match of Zosia Broms happened yet?
I don't know, I'm still waiting for Just Books to send me my paper copy of ZB's post. :mad: (The actual discussion that's started happening now is a good one, will try and contribute something to that when I have the time to concentrate properly.)

Yup.

An example I always return to is the 1926 general strike. There existed then a working network of trades councils. That structure was adapted to help the coordination of news, food supplies, and much else.

Even when I was active in the anti poll tax movement in the late 80s, the trades councils (although much reduced from their status of the 1920s) were still an important resource. Now, there is no such infrastructure.

There is nominally a trades council in Glasgow. But it’s sewn up by the mainstream unions, has no democratic input and is inaccessible by working class people, and in any case isn’t real. It exists in name only.
I think that's what this campaign around the cost of living crisis is trying to address: Cost of Living Action

But it has come a bit late and been overshadowed by EIE.

Back
Top Bottom