Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist Bookfair 2022

Yes and no, I suppose - I'm aware there are flaws in the comparison, which is why I hedged it with disclaimers, but from a punter's POV I'm not sure how much difference it makes, if I was in London that day (which I wasn't, so people can feel free to ignore my opinion on those grounds if they'd like) I'm not sure whether I'd want to prioritise the bookfair over the Chris Kaba thing. Or possibly one might be able to arrange one's day to include both, but then the same could be said for the UFFC thing.
More generally - I totally agree that the timing of the Chris Kaba demo was out of the 2022 organisers' control and so it'd be snide and bad faith to have a dig at them for clashing with it, so I suppose the question is whether the old organisers would have been able to arrange their event so it didn't clash with the UFFC march or any other event of similar importance, or if the many different factors that go into organising a bookfair would've made that impossible as well, which'd make having a go at them over that similarly snide. I tend towards thinking that, but others could disagree.
Although possibly I was in the wrong to dig up old beef on this matter anyway, since bookfairs and bookfair threads are meant to be a place where we concentrate on what unites us and look forward to the future in a positive spirit, maybe?
I know a few people who did both. Logistically pretty easy, demo was 12-2pm at new scotland yard , 15 mins cycle from there to bishopsgate or about half an hour by public transport.

The issue of Freedom that came out for the Bookfair is pretty good. Pieces by an RMT rep, something on lessons learned from the Common House meeting space, Ian Bone's memories of 80s Hackney, Advisory Service for Squatters...
Is that a new issue, not the summer-autumn one?
I'm selling rather than buying usually, but I did make an exception for the always beautiful (and occasionally baffling) ...

View attachment 343540
Who would've thought that TCA would end up being one of the most enduring and stable institutions?

Anyway, to my mind there's only one person who's qualified to host a discussion on Ukraine at the London anarchist bookfair, and that's former Scotland and Leeds United frontman Arthur Graham.

I'm selling rather than buying usually, but I did make an exception for the always beautiful (and occasionally baffling) ...

View attachment 343540

I'd never heard of these two. I like the cut of their jib from reading this.

I'd never heard of these two. I like the cut of their jib from reading this.

Peter's a lovely guy, you won't find a truer advocate of bookfairs and the art of pamphleteering.

Hi Everyone!

Earlier this year, I reached my 40s, AKA, as I believe, the legal age of getting a U75 account, so here I am.

I decided to spare you the bother of endless speculation and will reply to some of the questions I see here.

1. CWO meeting was rejected due to us wanting to get Ukrainian (and also Georgian, Kazakh, Finnish, Polish, Baltic countries and Russian anarchists, as well as some groups representing indigenous communities of the Russian Federation) for a wider discussion about Russian colonialism. This, however, fell through for two reasons. Firstly, there wasn’t sufficient time to organise it. As someone points out above in this thread, the Ukrainians are really busy, and so are many other anarchist groups in this part of the world right now. We managed to book extra venues only about 3 weeks before the bookfair, there were about a million other things to do by then. Plus given how big this subject is, we realised no way we could fit it in 90 mins or two hours. It was then decided that this talk will be an extra to be held online after the bookfair. This is planned for sometime in October/November and will likely be a series of talks.
2. CWO was not banned, they had a stall inside, also they were informed why their workshop got rejected (us wanting to give space to Ukrainians etc). They seemed relatively fine with it, based on their reply.
3. ICC emailed us on 30th August, which was a bit over two weeks before the bookfair and about a month after we closed stall bookings. They asked if they could have a stall or a meeting space. We informed them that we are absolutely packed, they never got back to us after this. I’m not sure we would give them either of the things they wanted, I guess this may be something our collective would have to discuss next year, if ICC manages to get in touch with us in time.
4. Sarah Jane Baker did not have a stall because she did not request one.
5. The ACG did receive a reply to their stall request, I guess Charlie Mowbray here ("the Enforcer" 🤣🤣🤣) can show it to you. The bookfair collective is willing to sort out the issues we have with the ACG, but we are also not too inclined to bring our conflcts online, tbh.
6. Yes, I also think it would be better to have this bookfair in one venue. However, we got what we could on, basically, no budget. While initially, Bishopsgate Institute offered us the whole building, they later withdrew this offer as they needed the space for some other event. So we went on a mission to find more venues as close as possible, and that is what we got. I think convincing some of the better East London non-anarchist spaces to run an anarchist event was pretty cool, but I guess this may be just me.
7. If anyone on this forum thinks we could do better, then the best way of going about it would be to email us with your suggestions or offer of help, rather than be clever online. You are also welcome to organise your own bookfair if you want. We will probably promote it if you do.
8. Having an event across several venues is ofc an accessibility issue by itself. We released an accessibility statement stating that and asking anyone who thinks they will struggle to move between the venues we are using to get in touch. We also announced it on social media several times, and we worked with everyone who did get in touch to make their day as easy as we could.
9. No, the bookfair has nothing to do with this stupid “message to London anarchists” that made rounds on social media and various chat groups. JFC.
10. Yes, after 5 years, I have resigned as Freedom editor, and Sylvia Mann will be taking over from me. I would encourage you to not immediately jump to a discussion on some woman's partner, in the year of lord 2022 it does sound a bit outdated. Also, I am staying in the editorial collective and intend to spend more time writing rather than editing the texts of others. You will probably hate this, tbh.

As a general note. I will now promptly lose the password to this account, and I guess next time I will be looking at U75 would be about a month before the next bookfair. In a weird twisted masochistic way, this forum is pretty fascinating, but also should not be taken in large doses. Pre and post bookfair sessions are sufficient for me. But you do you and enjoy yourself!

Last edited:
I'm sorry, I am new to this forum so I do not know how it was visible and it is not now. I can see this post, but it also says it is awaiting moderation.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-09-19 at 17.37.35.png
    Screenshot 2022-09-19 at 17.37.35.png
    87.7 KB · Views: 37
Strangely enough, I bought one, purely with the intention of disliking it on the train home - David Graeber's Bullshit Jobs. From what I've seen it's patronising shite and doesn't acknowledge the managerial/control function of all the 'quality' jobs and the rest. Needless to say, I fell asleep on the train and have a book I will now never read. :oops:

Strangely enough, I bought one, purely with the intention of disliking it on the train home - David Graeber's Bullshit Jobs. From what I've seen it's patronising shite and doesn't acknowledge the managerial/control function of all the 'quality' jobs and the rest. Needless to say, I fell asleep on the train and have a book I will now never read. :oops:
It was a viral blog post that got over stretched for a book deal. Cant begrudge him it.

Strangely enough, I bought one, purely with the intention of disliking it on the train home - David Graeber's Bullshit Jobs. From what I've seen it's patronising shite and doesn't acknowledge the managerial/control function of all the 'quality' jobs and the rest. Needless to say, I fell asleep on the

train and have a book I will now never read. :oops:
I didn't realise you were going, would have been good to meet you irl.

I might have bought a copy of charlie mowbray new book , but he explained they hadn't yet been delivered.

I didn't realise you were going, would have been good to meet you irl.

I might have bought a copy of charlie mowbray new book , but he explained they hadn't yet been delivered.
And yous! In fact I was proper billy no mates and only met one person I knew. He was a former zealous SWP full timer and I commented rather drily that his politics seems to have 'shifted' a bit.

And yous! In fact I was proper billy no mates and only met one person I knew. He was a former zealous SWP full timer and I commented rather drily that his politics seems to have 'shifted' a bit.
What did they say to that? The SWP full timers I've met have all seemed like right nutters.

It's the first time I've been since that transphobe travesty in 2017, that was horrible.

But there's now no tradition for where everyone meets now post-covid because (some people have said) spoons attitude during covid so avoid. Fair (swidt) enough.

So if any people go in future might be good to establish meeting place.

I really do like the Bishopsgate Institute, much better than Queen Mary. I particularly liked their encouragement and information about their FREE and no membership etc required beautiful library and archive service.

Me too. And if it was true and accurate then it was a fine post. I wouldn't see any reason to delete it.
This is a great way to get people intrigued about what the post says, will I be able to buy a PDF of the mystery post at the next bookfair?

This is a great way to get people intrigued about what the post says, will I be able to buy a PDF of the mystery post at the next bookfair?
It'll pass moderation then everyone can see it.

I'm not sure that everyone would describe it as a fine post tbh, but shrug

Back
Top Bottom