Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist Bookfair 2022

If the CWO had a stall inside then why were they outside handing out leaflets and showing people emails that they'd been banned? I'm pretty sure it was ICC, I wish I'd taken a leaflet now so I could check.
The CWO had a stall inside. The ICC were outside. The I-Spy Book of Left Communists was available on the day for anyone getting confused.

Reactions: LDC
I don't disagree with you about Ukraine necessarily by the way LDC but it occurs to me that it should ideally be hosted by Ukranian anarchists not the UK branch of the ICC (who I think is who we're actually talking about because I'm pretty sure it was them outside) and I suspect most Ukranian anarchists are quite busy.

Even though I like the members I've met and they generally have pretty sound politics, I'd be pretty wary of booking a no-war talk by the CWO (who are ICT rather than the ICC aren't they?) as well tbh, although I'd like to think that sorting out a discussion on Ukraine, anarchists, and the war could have been possible, a panel debate with Zoom guests? Various POVs presented and then discussed? Either way given the impact and importance of the war something definitely should have been on the program imo, although I do know sorting that stuff out when it's not been offered is harder than it might seem. But I think if you take on things like the Bookfair then you do have some responsibility to try and get these things on the program rather than just leave it totally open to what gets offered - especially if you then filter things out that do get offered.

I suspect if the CWO meeting had happened it might have turned into a discussion on Ukraine anyway.

Honestly though all this (and reports I've heard from the event) just makes me relieved I don't bother going anymore, and why I feel a huge gulf between me and that often pretty fucked up and depressing scene nowadays.

Even though I like the members I've met and they generally have pretty sound politics, I'd be pretty wary of booking a no-war talk by the CWO (who are ICT rather than the ICC aren't they?) as well tbh, although I'd like to think that sorting out a discussion on Ukraine, anarchists, and the war could have been possible, a panel debate with Zoom guests? Various POVs presented and then discussed? Either way given the impact and importance of the war something definitely should have been on the program imo, although I do know sorting that stuff out when it's not been offered is harder than it might seem. But I think if you take on things like the Bookfair then you do have some responsibility to try and get these things on the program rather than just leave it totally open to what gets offered - especially if you then filter things out that do get offered.

I suspect if the CWO meeting had happened it might have turned into a discussion on Ukraine anyway.

Honestly though all this (and reports I've heard from the event) just makes me relieved I don't bother going anymore, and why I feel a huge gulf between me and that often pretty fucked up and depressing scene nowadays.
Hmmm...so you've gone from not believing the CWO weren't allowed to have a 'No War But The Class War' talk to thinking actually that's probably a good idea. I will be forwarding this evidence of your centrist vacillation to the CWO AND the ICC who I am sure will respond appropriately.

Hmmm...so you've gone from not believing the CWO weren't allowed to have a 'No War But The Class War' talk to thinking actually that's probably a good idea. I will be forwarding this evidence of your centrist vacillation to the CWO AND the ICC who I am sure will respond appropriately.
Don't start misrepresenting LDCs position, please

I spoke to a mate yesterday who informed me that AK Press were going to attend but had some logistical problems at their end so didn’t make it.

I think we’re all agreed here that a meeting on Ukraine would have been worthwhile. The fact that an ultra-left sect did not get a meeting could have been for a whole bunch of reasons, including capacity.

I hear there is to be a new editor at Freedom - was told name (of editor and their partner) but have forgotten - sounded quite positive - anyone know more?

The issue of Freedom that came out for the Bookfair is pretty good. Pieces by an RMT rep, something on lessons learned from the Common House meeting space, Ian Bone's memories of 80s Hackney, Advisory Service for Squatters...
I’ve not read Freedom in years, the odd article aside. Long before its retreat from hard copy.

Attachments

• Opera Snapshot_2022-09-19_104927_www.facebook.com.png
    Opera Snapshot_2022-09-19_104927_www.facebook.com.png
    71 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
Yes Sylvia is gradually taking over from Zosia (though the latter is going to be around for a wee while yet - we've actually managed the rare trick of not just throwing some poor sod in at the deep end for once so she'll have a couple old editors to ask why people are complaining about us this time). The editorial group's actually a group atm which is nice.

Bookfair went pretty well as far as Freedom goes, partly because AK and PM weren't able to make it I expect (we ended up carrying a bunch of AK stock on our stall so they weren't completely absent). The zine fair and after-drinks in Angel Alley were particularly successful by all accounts, I wasn't there in the day as I was on stalls/at Bishopsgate but got there after closing and had never seen the place so packed.

Back
Top Bottom