Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

London Anarchist bookfair 2020

Sealioning?
Get with the programme dadio. Like the cool kids. You too could be hip like me.

“Sealioning (also spelled sea-lioning and sea lioning) is a type of trolling or harassment that consists of pursuing people with persistent requests for evidence or repeated questions, while maintaining a pretense of civility and sincerity. It may take the form of "incessant, bad-faith invitations to engage in debate".The term originated with a 2014 strip of the webcomic Wondermark by David Malki.”

09593724-2CA6-4B87-A5F7-7D310C24034E.png

I must say, it’s not as good as I’d hoped. I was wanting fish slapping and tunes played by a pinniped on a selection of car horns TBH.

Get with the programme dadio. Like the cool kids. You too could be hip like me.

“Sealioning (also spelled sea-lioning and sea lioning) is a type of trolling or harassment that consists of pursuing people with persistent requests for evidence or repeated questions, while maintaining a pretense of civility and sincerity. It may take the form of "incessant, bad-faith invitations to engage in debate".The term originated with a 2014 strip of the webcomic Wondermark by David Malki.”

View attachment 284749

I must say, it’s not as good as I’d hoped. I was wanting fish slapping and tunes played by a pinniped on a selection of car horns TBH.
Do you have anything in the way of concrete evidence to show this sort of thing happens?

Asking as someone who hasn't been involved for a couple of years, would it be fair to say that groups are still as divided as ever on trans issues? I'm sort of thinking about the AFED/ACG split, but the movement such as it is more generally? As an example I just found this on the AFED website, denouncing antifascist groups and the ACG. The language and divisions look to be exactly as they were 3 or 4 years ago.

Thought I'd plonk the question down here rather than risk another thread. :)

Asking as someone who hasn't been involved for a couple of years, would it be fair to say that groups are still as divided as ever on trans issues? I'm sort of thinking about the AFED/ACG split, but the movement such as it is more generally? As an example I just found this on the AFED website, denouncing antifascist groups and the ACG. The language and divisions look to be exactly as they were 3 or 4 years ago.

That anarchistfederation.net site is confusing - I think it is a project run by the French AF, but it's a content aggregator collecting news from lots of anarcho-leaning sources. Which is a worthwhile project to do (I think, as long as you do a decent bit of due diligence on your sources to stop it getting clogged up with weirdo crap), but is not the same thing as having a website giving official or semi-official views of a specific political organisation, which is what you might expect from a site called anarchistfederation.net, so I wish they'd change it to anarchistnewssources or something. Anyway, fuck knows really cos I'm not super involved in "the scene" myself, but, whatever flaws AFed might have, I don't think you can blame them for the bus stop wankers. In fact the Bus Stop Affinity lot specifically slag off the AFed except for Bristol in their statement as well.

you just wanted to breathe some new life into this one :thumbs:

There's divisions, but not sure how much they play out in reality, especially in real life rather than on social media. The whole thing is still fucking poisonous though, and on the individual and personal level I still see people behave really badly over it.

That website looks fucking awful, although it's not a patch on how bad that statement is. It's Exhibit A in why anarchism looks mad and pointless to most people. The AF looks like it's been take over by messed-up teenagers with bad design skills tbh.

If I were in a bitchy mood, I might point out that you can tell it's definitely not the official AF site, because it seems to have some quite recent articles posted on it. (Although tbf it looks like the Organise magazine site is updated more than the official AF one?)

Also, if we're getting into slagging off the scene/swamp whatever, I unfortunately got dragged into reading far too much UK anarcho swamp social media stuff yesterday, still thinking about this blazing hot take from a person with very strong views about the bookfair:
1629806640969.png

Like, trains are just oppressive in their conformism to efficient capitalist linear routes man. In an anarchist utopia we'll refuse such horrors and journeys will drift like our dreams and the wind; never arriving, and maybe never even departing. Until the last train guard is hung with the guts of the last ticket collector nobody will be free comrades.

It’s not from AFed, though. It’s from a very strange - and defunct - group (numbers unknown) who seemed to think that breaking a bus shelter was an “action”. What their aims in so doing remains unclear.

I don’t think anyone paid any attention to the statement.
Cheers. Yeah, I got that the bus stoppists weren't AFED, I was just confused about it appearing on what looked like an AFED site. Thanks to hitmouse clearing that up.

Like, trains are just oppressive in their conformism to efficient capitalist linear routes man. In an anarchist utopia we'll refuse such horrors and journeys will drift like our dreams and the wind; never arriving, and maybe never even departing. Until the last train guard is hung with the guts of the last ticket collector nobody will be free comrades.
ALL I SAID WAS 'SORRY MATE, THIS TRAIN IS GOING TO PENZANCE, IF YOU WANT BIRMINGHAM YOU NEED A DIFFERENT PLATFORM'

Back
Top Bottom