Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Just when I thought the Olympics couldn't depress me further....

(Tip off from R4) Royal Mint London 2012 Gold series of coins.

LUKG9F_Revs.ashx

Featuring the gods of Olympia: Mercury, Diana, Neptune. Who are, er, the Roman variants.

Seen a lot about this the last few days. Also, British Waterways has commandeered a load of visitor moorings in London to charge outrageous rents for.

Thing is, last I heard, they'd sold almost none of these, and I'm not sure the landlords are going to make as much of a killing as they think. Overall visitor numbers to Olympic cities don't tend to change much, because those who would come for other reasons stay away. It's not at all clear that the hotels in London and places with good transport links to London will leave much overspill for over-priced housing lets.

I do hope that the landlords evicting people find themselves with an Olympic-sized void followed by a dramatic fall in rents as they all put their place back on the market at the same time.

I'd call it a major difference. Thousands weren't evicted from their homes in London in order to bulldoze them and build a 'bird's nest'.
The trouble with bird's nests is that the the birds come home to roost at some time. That may be the similarity with the Chinese Olympics.

:confused: Romans used planet names.. Eta you know that
The Greek equivalents were Hermes Artemis and Poseidon. They would be more appropriate for the Olympic Games. This is a bit of a blunder from the Olympic organisers.#

Or perhaps it was a deliberate snub to the Greeks about their position in the Euro. I am not sure that the Romans (Italy today) deserve less of a snub.

The Romans aren't Italy, Italy are House of Savoy. The Romans are the Vatican

A completely unimportant point, but one I felt the need to mention

The Greek equivalents were Hermes Artemis and Poseidon. They would be more appropriate for the Olympic Games. This is a bit of a blunder from the Olympic organisers.#

Or perhaps it was a deliberate snub to the Greeks about their position in the Euro. I am not sure that the Romans (Italy today) deserve less of a snub.
Having done classics at school was only Artemis didn't know from memory. I had misread the post

i cant wait for a landlord post olympic complaining they didnt get paid or the flat got trashed by vistors etc etc.:)
servethe greedy fuckers right.

It could be worse, I suppose: how many thousands of poor peoples' homes did they bulldoze in prepping for the Beijing Olympics?
The BBC were reporting on that during the Beijing Olympics just as the possession orders were going out here. I don't know what how the numbers and compensation arrangements compare, but it's not right to say that homes weren't bulldozed. They were.

According to this (p26) it was the "largest ever compulsory land acquisition programme in England."

In order to progress the plans for redeveloping the Lower Lea Valley, the LDA has been
negotiating relocation options with residents and businesses currently located in the area.
The LDA argued that the Olympic Games will bring much needed regeneration to the
area, which would “far outweigh the effect upon those who own property or live in the
area.”113 However these negotiations have taken place under the shadow of a compulsory
purchase order (CPO). The LDA issued a CPO for the land to ensure its acquisition
from those with whom it could not strike a deal. This CPO issued for the Olympics site
is said to be the largest ever compulsory land acquisition programme in England.114 Once
the LDA acquires the land, it will transfer it to the ODA, the official body charged with
constructing Olympic venues and infrastructure.115

The main area affected by the CPO is Clay’s Lane, where 430 residents of the Clay’s
Lane Housing Cooperative were issued with orders to leave by July 2007, as well as 15
families residing at an adjacent Romani Gypsy and Travellers site, who must leave by July
or August 2007.116 The second key residential area affected by the CPO is a Gypsy and
Travellers site at Waterden Crescent, in which 20 Irish Traveller families reside. They
have been given several alternatives to their present site. The proposals involve splitting
the community into four smaller sites.117 In addition, over 400 students from the
University of East London were evicted in July 2005.

Over the course of the negotiations for the Lea Valley area and the related CPOs,
businesses employing nearly 15,000 workers in total were also reportedly forced to
move.118 In Stratford, 300 businesses were evicted in order to use the land on which they
operated for the Olympic Park.119 In order to clear the path for the construction of the
Olympic Stadium, companies employing over 5,000 staff were reportedly moved out of
their establishments in the Marshgate Lane area.120 Many of these businesses benefited
from their proximity to central London, and the relocation sites offered were over 50
miles away from where they were originally located.121 The businesses argued that the
LDA’s valuation of their land was made before news of the bid had inflated property
prices in the area,122 and that the LDA’s proposed alternative sites would leave many of
the businesses at a competitive disadvantage.123

I do hope that the landlords evicting people find themselves with an Olympic-sized void followed by a dramatic fall in rents as they all put their place back on the market at the same time.

If only... I really dont think its going to put a dent in rates.

However I do definitely agree that this fantasy of people making big money doing short term lets is not going to materialize. The only exception being people who own very high value property, the 6 bedroom houses in notting hill sort of stuff.

I'd call it a major difference. Thousands weren't evicted from their homes in London in order to bulldoze them and build a 'bird's nest'.

Loads of businesses in London were forced out of their premises.

And shit loads of decent squat party venues demolished too :mad:

Loads of businesses in London were forced out of their premises.

And shit loads of decent squat party venues demolished too :mad:
tbf, I don't much care (actually not at all) about the latter but I do, very much, about the former. Some businesses had been there for generations :(

Just when I thought the Olympics couldn't depress me any more. According to the Sunday Times (I think), on the IOCC's first trip to London, they were in cars with a magical GPS that turned all the traffic lights green to make the capitals transport system look better. So much for fair play and all that. What a crock.

There was a thing about a new sonic weapon for the Olympics in the Guardian. Missiles and high tech weaponry, that's what the event is all about

Of course, how silly of me. Why didn't I see it before? How very innovative of our glorious leaders. Combine the Olympic games with an arms fair, mustn't waste the opportunity eh?

because very few do; trhe place - olympics or no - is a complete toilet (I live v near, I should explain)

Oi, shut it you! :mad:

The Olympics isn't the sort of 'injection of money'/'regeneration' that this place really needs for the longer term and for the benefit of everyone who lives here. Its short-termism, covering over the cracks. You only have to walk a little way down to Maryland or my way (towards Canning Town) to see the lack of real beneficial 'legacy' the Olympics will bring.

The Olympics isn't the sort of 'injection of money'/'regeneration' that this place really needs for the longer term and for the benefit of everyone who lives here. Its short-termism, covering over the cracks. You only have to walk a little way down to Maryland or my way (towards Canning Town) to see the lack of real beneficial 'legacy' the Olympics will bring.
absolutely spot-on
(and apols :oops:)

I suppose every place is different, but the Olympics held in Vancouver left many noticeable legacies, including a number of new, larger and more comprehensive community/sports centers, major changes to the transit infrastructure including a new subway line, and road repair and construction that seems to be continuing to this day, with residual money. There was a huge cash infusion into local business both via Olympic spending, and spending by the many visitors to the Games. It's pretty difficult to say that the Olympics here did not leave a positive legacy. They didn't correct every problem - but that would take a magic wand. I think the better question is, is the place better off in at least some ways, without major negative effects? The answer here was 'yes'.

Back
Top Bottom