Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Johann Hari admits copying and pasting interview quotes

So to get the thread back on topic, it looks like he has been stripped of the Orwell Prize. Hopefully that gives butchersapron a healthy dose of schadenfreude if nothing else.

There's zero joy to be had, we- the public - are doing the work of journalism teachers and editors without being paid.
Will Johann Hari or Simon Kelner give up any of their wealth?

I didn't know Kelner was such a liar either: @JohannHari101 has worked at @theIndynews for 10 years. In that time, we have not had a single complaint about his misrepresenting anyone' Just wow.

There's zero joy to be had, we- the public - are doing the work of journalism teachers and editors without being paid.
Will Johann Hari or Simon Kelner give up any of their wealth?

I didn't know Kelner was such a liar either: @JohannHari101 has worked at @theIndynews for 10 years. In that time, we have not had a single complaint about his misrepresenting anyone' Just wow.

or maybe reporting and comment are going the way of the music industry and is for an increasing number of people is losing whatever authority it had, interesting piece here from DSG on such matters.

DSG would neither expect or desire to be paid for their role in nailing that lil cunt Hari.

or maybe reporting and comment are going the way of the music industry and is for an increasing number of people is losing whatever authority it had, interesting piece here from DSG on such matters.

DSG would neither expect or desire to be paid for their role in nailing that lil cunt Hari.

Who are DSG? Internet bods. Fine, but other people have done Simon Kelner's "job" for him and people should demand something from him. My point was if you choose to take on a Cambridge Double First graduate straight onto the comment page of the Guardian then Independent without training him in factchecking and corroboration [doesn't necessarily have to be a degree] and then do nothing about complaints and lie that none were ever made you shouldn't be paid according to sources from 2000.

Hacks at the Independent say that Simon Kelner, its editor, receives about £250,000 - roughly £50,000 more than his predecessors Rosie Boycott and Andrew Marr.
http://www.newstatesman.com/200005220006

Simon Kelner has made at the very least £2.5 million at his tenure. IN addition to leading the high-life visiting Tony Blair in the early days, Gordon Brown, Nick Clegg, first class flights, award shows with other people serving you etc etc.

skelner_aburke_gq_7sep10_pa_b.jpg

Ultimately I guess Harigate is a sign of the weakness of our movement. The NUJ can't impose demands for training or full pay on trainee posts even where the newspaper is left wing. Johann Hari himself was never a member anyway. But he was treated as an honourable leftwinger for a long time invited to the Progressive London conference, invited to student left-liberal meetings.

No offence in this, but I didn't get much of the linked article at all.

The system of parliamentary democracy and capitalist media as it exists in Britain simply wasn’t designed as a transparent system, and technological developments, hitting at the same time as a restructuring crisis, are forcing open those contradictions. Faced with its Napster Moment, the parliamentary system has two options- either to acknowledge the changing conditions, or, like the music industry, to plough ahead with the current model, and use increasingly repressive and authoritarian tactics to enforce its legitimacy amongst its client base.

Parliamentary democracy is strong, the capitalist media is strong, we are weak. That's it.

I'm not sure there is any shift in power at all apart from US is losing, China is winning.

The hacking scandal isn’t an event that will lead to a cleaning up of the media and a return to the “values” the NOTW hacks seemingly undermined; rather, it is the spreading of a process of delegitimisation running concurrently across societies worldwide, from the authoritarian regimes of North Africa to the War on Drugs in the US, or the rise of Lulzsec.

Lulzsec? No!

The wider question that has been passing round militants in the DSG network: Is Murdoch’s “Wikileaks moment” symptomatic of the Establishment’s Napster Moment? The corruption and nepotism of the closed circle of politicians, press and police was a disgusting necessity for the efficient running of the state in the interests of the status quo, but it worked because it was hidden, neatly covered with the facade of the consensus of progressive patriotism, classless society rhetoric and the meritocracy. This conspiracy was a vital tool of governance, but now a precedent of bottom-up transparency has been set, whereby those of us who are excluded from the circles of power have the technological tools (and will) for the constant revelation of such scandals. An endless appetite for transparency, causing an infinite loop of scandal, resulting in a revolving door of administrations. The system of parliamentary democracy and capitalist media as it exists in Britain simply wasn’t designed as a transparent system, and technological developments, hitting at the same time as a restructuring crisis, are forcing open those contradictions. Faced with its Napster Moment, the parliamentary system has two options- either to acknowledge the changing conditions, or, like the music industry, to plough ahead with the current model, and use increasingly repressive and authoritarian tactics to enforce its legitimacy amongst its client base.

That conspiracy is not vital at all, normal non-closed capitalist media is fine too. In fact it helps revive the liberal press when they are attacked by politicians like when Blair called the Independent not a good newspaper but 'a viewspaper'. It's just swings and roundabouts.

Yep, they are - i reckon Thompson kept them part back in order for some muppet like hundal to jump in - he must have known those other emails were doing the rounds the last few days. Even funnier is that loads of Hari's liberal defenders have jumped back into the fray, misled by the spin Hundal has put on it. They've been mugged again.

Yep, they are - i reckon Thompson kept them part back in order for some muppet like hundal to jump in - he must have known those other emails were doing the rounds the last few days. Even funnier is that loads of Hari's liberal defenders have jumped back into the fray, misled by the spin Hundal has put on it. They've been mugged again.

I think Thompson got clearance to publish the emails after Hundal published his ridiculous batch. The charity worker was keen not to get too involved again.

Doing something like this might prompt the person sitting on emails revealing who David Rose really is to go nuclear.

One detail of his Central African Republic thing that stuck in my mind was that Hari claimed that children whose parents had been killed were carrying their parents' severed heads around with them.

Because that is exactly what a traumatised African orphan would do.

Of course, no bothered to fisk that one, because it's only Africa.

Full of savages who do all kinds of crazy things Idris. Hari bringing us back these tales from darkest Africa is a real asset

It's as if we had another Conrad walking among us. (NB, should that be 'amongst'?)

NO!

It should be "It's as if we had another Conrad walking amongst penguins in the Antarctic".

As Johann Hari told me last week, crying into his can of Tennants cheapest, "I’ve also been told that if I go back, I’ll be arrested or turned away at the airport."

The committee of retired Polish cavalry officers who do the Splintered Sunrise blog have an interesting post about L'affaire Johann:

Again and again, we come back to Kelner. He hired a raw young star about whom doubts had already been expressed at the New Statesman, and relentlessly promoted and protected him. Hari didn’t get the firm editorial hand a young journalist needs; his columns don’t seem to have been subjected to fact-checking or serious editing (comparing Hari’s columns on the Indy site with his own site, one sees that Indy editorial broke up his long paragraphs and corrected a few obvious howlers, but little else); he clearly was never given the training or mentoring he needed (and if Hari thought he didn’t need training, Kelner should have insisted). Hari was given plenty of resources – one hears stories of Indy interns doing mountains of photocopying that would then be couriered over to the great man (couriered, I ask you, as if he was Peter fucking Mandelson) – but didn’t give him what he really needed, a guiding hand. More experienced hacks who had concerns about the infant prodigy’s work soon learned that the editor didn’t want to hear these criticisms.

http://splinteredsunrise.wordpress....nn-a-reflection-and-a-bit-of-a-rant/#comments

A little Indy bird whispered in my ear that Hari-kari is getting the boot soon.... Take with a pinch of salt of course as it's nowt but a newsroom rumour.

Yes, that article makes things significantly worse for Hari. Originally the Der Speigel one just looked like he was being a lazy rip-off merchant, now he looks like an intellectually bankrupt quote chopper. Should say that the bloke who wrote that had a falling out with hundal over publishing it. How very brave of suny.

Indy threatened orwell prize with 2 legal letters citing 'human rights act'. The Eye also points out that the interns letters are more fuel to the fire, not a last minute redemption.

Yes, that article makes things significantly worse for Hari. Originally the Der Speigel one just looked like he was being a lazy rip-off merchant, now he looks like an intellectually bankrupt quote chopper. Should say that the bloke who wrote that had a falling out with hundal over publishing it. How very brave of suny.

I assumed they had just spotted which way the wind was blowing :D Sunny in particular seems good at that.

Has been interesting to see the Hari affair reveal on blogs and twitter how many 'leading' writers and liberal activists are friends with each other.

Back
Top Bottom