Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Johann Hari admits copying and pasting interview quotes

sorry for derail but seems to be a fair few weird 'feminist' books out at the moment - this for example

Honey Money: The Power of Erotic Capital

Catherine Hakim's groundbreaking book reveals how erotic capital is just as influential in life as how rich, clever, educated or well-connected we are. Drawing on hard evidence, she illustrates how this potent force develops from an early age, with attractive children assumed to be intelligent, competent and good. She examines how women and men learn to exploit it throughout their lives, how it differs across cultures and how it affects all spheres of activity, from dating and mating to politics, business, film, music, the arts and sport. She also explores why erotic capital is growing in importance in today's highly sexualised culture and yet, ironically, as a 'feminine' virtue, remains sidelined.

Honey Money is a call for us to recognize the economic and social value of erotic capital, and truly acknowledge beauty and pleasure. This will not only change the role of women in society, getting them a better deal in both public and private life - it could also revolutionize our power structures, big business, the sex industry, government, marriage, education and almost everything we do

sorry for derail but seems to be a fair few weird 'feminist' books out at the moment - this for example
The Guardian interview with the author made her out to be a proper academic fraud, who "denies her own views and the restates them with abandon" or similar.

Mate by the time I finished reading that book I couldn't look at her on the cover I wanted to punch her face in so bad. SCREAM! Urgh what a bitch. Chapter 9 was the final fuckin straw, when she went to watch lapdancers with her smug fuckin friend as said that girls who dance should be told to get down off the "podium" and get with the sisterhood. (burlesques fine, natch, cos its fucking middle class). I posted a rant on her 'let's discuss feminism' page of her website, in which I bearly swore (told her to fuck off ONCE!), and it was moderated off.
Here point, iirc, was that seeing as how there's been thousands of years of sexual slavery of women, that women working as lapdancers, etc are the sexual equivalent of a minstrel show, or a cleaning company that only employed black people acting subserviant. She's got a point. There's nothing liberated about stripping, despite the anti-feminist backlash 'girl power' attempts to paint it that way.

Immediately, she starts barking at me; she tells me I'm using value-laden language, and that I've got to get over the idea that people can't change. "Look at Muslims! They turn against their cultural expectations within one generation of arriving here!" The people on the next table to us get up and move. I would argue that it's a lot easier to get over cultural expectation when you have the warm bath of a different culture, that you live in, ready to step into. But I don't say any of that because I'm worried that one or both of the people who have just moved might be Muslims, and there's always a chance she might start barking again.

oh my god :D

i dont think there is either, but to be honest, the whole interview sounds terrible on both sides and yeah that paragraph is a bit dishonest.

Sorry to de-rail, any opinions on Hari speaking of the 'Rebellious Media Conference' - http://rebelliousmediaconference.org/ - surely there is nothing more than rebellious than breaking all the rules, which he did. He is speaking alongside Chomsky, who is actually one of the people he fabricated an interview with. There are a bunch of other bores on the line up too; Laurie Penny, etc. I'm sure Owen Jones will be wheeled out and the anarchist NUJ president. Zizek recently said that conservatives who tell the truth are far more useful than liberals, I think he was spot on.

no he didn't

Fair enough, I must have misremembered.

Sorry to de-rail, any opinions on Hari speaking of the 'Rebellious Media Conference' - http://rebelliousmediaconference.org/ - surely there is nothing more than rebellious than breaking all the rules, which he did. He is speaking alongside Chomsky, who is actually one of the people he fabricated an interview with. There are a bunch of other bores on the line up too; Laurie Penny, etc. I'm sure Owen Jones will be wheeled out and the anarchist NUJ president. Zizek recently said that conservatives who tell the truth are far more useful than liberals, I think he was spot on.

Someone really needs to wind Chomsky up about it before he goes on...

I agree with Zizek on that, but then I'm a big Max Hastings fan:D

Back
Top Bottom