Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Italian politics and elections - news and discussion

The one thing I've heard said about Meloni is that she has embraced the EU as an institution - and vice versa - particularly regarding ukraine war but not just - which has upset her eurosceptic supporters but is solidifying her as an establishment (rather than anti-establishment) politician. Mainstreaming hard. Then add in a Trump alliance...
I posted up my view that the populists and far right were capable of making the EU whatever they wanted it to be last year or whenever . What I find interesting is how what was once a cordon sanitaire is by the centre right and the liberals there is now an arm round the shoulder. We had the same this week in Portugal where after an election campaign by the DA ( the centre right SDP alliance) which said 'no means no' to any coalition with Chega they nominated a Chega member for Vice President of the House.

I posted up my view that the populists and far right were capable of making the EU whatever they wanted it to be last year or whenever . What I find interesting is how what was once a cordon sanitaire is by the centre right and the liberals there is now an arm round the shoulder. We had the same this week in Portugal where after an election campaign by the DA ( the centre right SDP alliance) which said 'no means no' to any coalition with Chega they nominated a Chega member for Vice President of the House.
I think the EU is malleable and can be whatever it's members want it to be, fact is the populist right and the liberal right and centre have a huge amount in common as is made evident daily. Even the fascistic genocidal Israeli right have basically been kept in the global gang.

I think the EU is malleable and can be whatever it's members want it to be, fact is the populist right and the liberal right and centre have a huge amount in common as is made evident daily. Even the fascistic genocidal Israeli right have basically been kept in the global gang.
Very flakey article on this 'dilemna' . Obviously no analysis about 'The weakness and exhaustion of mainstream parties'

Wondering how long Europe will hold, the far right is organised and well funded/supported by both libertarian billionaire types in the states and culture war hardliners from the east (most channeling through Orban who is central to a lot of it, with Russian support overt and covert). The USA is quite probably lost already. Where will the world go, what will it look like when all this comes to fruition? A boot stamping on the face?

Wondering how long Europe will hold, the far right is organised and well funded/supported by both libertarian billionaire types in the states and culture war hardliners from the east (most channeling through Orban who is central to a lot of it, with Russian support overt and covert). The USA is quite probably lost already. Where will the world go, what will it look like when all this comes to fruition? A boot stamping on the face?

Do you think Melloni is funded by the East or Russia , or Chega ?

Don’t know a lot about Melloni, she’s been somewhat anti-Russian which is an outlier for the far right at present, and wasn’t particularly expected that she would take this line.
So are Chega. I think one of the issues with lumping all the far right/populist right together ( I'm not suggesting you are btw) whilst there are some common themes there are also some differences not just about the EU, and the groupings they are in but also economic and foreign policy .

I've posted up the video ( which is about the Euro elections) on the EU watch thread. What Mudde says about Melloni is fascinating

1712061831499.png

Back
Top Bottom