Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Israel in coordinated missile attacks on Gaza

that rational christianity site said:
Genocide, murder or any killing that is not necessary to defend another person's life is not justified. God alone has the right to take human life in cases other than defense. The only reason the Israelites were right to destroy cities in the OT is because they received a clear, direct command from God to do so. Any reason short of that, including humans deciding on their own that God wants them to kill others, is not enough to justify it.

:hmm:

:mad: :mad: :etc:

BBC said:
Israelis 'shot at fleeing Gazans'

Munir Shafik al-Najar, of Khouza village in the south-east of the Gaza Strip, told B'tselem and the International Committee of the Red Cross (ICRC) of a series of events on Monday which he said left four members of his extended family dead.

He told the BBC that some 75 members of his extended family had ended up huddled in a house, surrounded by Israeli forces, after troops shelled the area and destroyed his brother's home on Sunday night.

On Monday morning, he said the family heard an announcement over a loudspeaker.

"The Israeli army was saying: 'This is the Israeli Defence Forces, we are asking all the people to leave their homes and go to the school. Ladies first, then men.'

"We decided to send the women first, two by two," he said.

First to step outside was the wife of his cousin, Rawhiya al-Najar, 48.

"The army was about 15 metres (50 feet) away from the house or less. They shot her in the head," he said.

The odious Melanie Philips continues her career with this wonderful pro-Israeli argument, which veers from attacking Greenstock for promoting Hamas, to accusing UNRWA of being a Hamas front organization, via denying that Israel is causing civilian casualties (because Hamas uses very young children as "human bombs", they count as Hamas fighters) and ends up with "Well, Europe kills more people than us anyway":

http://www.spectator.co.uk/melaniephillips/3234526/a-disproportionate-animus.thtml

Apologies if anyone is put off a late-night snack by the above link.

She seems quite upset about the media showing dead Palestinian children. Presumably she thinks we should pretend that they aren't being killed daily.

She seems quite upset about the media showing dead Palestinian children. Presumably she thinks we should pretend that they aren't being killed daily.

Well, obviously.

1. The Zionist lie: the interests of Jews and the interests of the State are identical
  2. Showing pictures of children killed by State undermines the State
  3. Therefore, showing pictures of children killed by State is anti-Semitic
QE... something.

The odious Melanie Philips continues her career with this wonderful pro-Israeli argument, which veers from attacking Greenstock for promoting Hamas, to accusing UNRWA of being a Hamas front organization, via denying that Israel is causing civilian casualties (because Hamas uses very young children as "human bombs", they count as Hamas fighters) and ends up with "Well, Europe kills more people than us anyway":

http://www.spectator.co.uk/melaniephillips/3234526/a-disproportionate-animus.thtml

Apologies if anyone is put off a late-night snack by the above link.

Ah, so that is how they are going to explain the comment
Based on intelligence and information obtained by the Gaza Coordination and Liaison Administration, the IDF has determined that at least 400 of those killed are known Hamas operatives. The IDF further believes that among the remaining 500, a significant number are also Hamas operatives.
from your last jpost article.

That's disgusting.

A bit more info about Astakos, and the shipment that is going to take place in order to transfer ammunition to Israel.

Of course the greek government denies it but according to this : http://www.dgmarket.com/eproc/np-notice.do?noticeId=3432450 they are looking for a vessel to carry the cargo from Astakos on the 15th of January.

Therefore there have been calls for demos at Astakos port for 15th of January, at 13:00 ... The Anti Authoritarian Movement has allready called, the Spartakos network, as well as the solidarity commitee for the Palestinian people. Other movements will also follow. The calls (in greek) here:

http://athens.indymedia.org/front.php3?lang=el&article_id=967567
http://athens.indymedia.org/front.php3?lang=el&article_id=967568
http://athens.indymedia.org/front.php3?lang=el&article_id=967606
http://athens.indymedia.org/front.php3?lang=el&article_id=967617

Of course I will be down there as well, with the Anti Authoritarian Movement.

THIS SHIPMENT WILL NOT BE ALLOWED TO START

On greek press, it has been reported that the USA decided to postpone the trip because of the hudge publicity it took in Greece, but also because of the situation in Gaza, as its safety was threatened. But a big ship with a USA flag is outside the port of Astakos during the last days, staying there. Yesterday 2 other ships arrived at Astakos, with foreign flags, which seem to be empty.

We dont know if all these are related to that trip or not, but the protests are going to take place anyway. I am off now, as I live a few hours far and have a trip ahead.

I will be online again on the afternoon with any updates about this.

It the article below is true, Israel won't stop soon & it explains why Hamas seem somewhat more receptive to a cease fire. They're losing, militarily anyway.

When Israeli soldiers saw a suspected suicide bomber riding a bike towards them, they moved quickly. As the man ducked into a building for safety, Israeli soldiers said they used a bulldozer to bring the walls down on top of him.

When armed Palestinians popped out of a tunnel and tried to attack, Israeli troops said they used tank fire and a bulldozer to decimate the militants.

In fight after fight and neighborhood after neighborhood, Israeli soldiers are bringing more aggressive tactics to the Gaza Strip battlefields.

If there's been any major surprise for Israeli soldiers in Gaza , it has been the relatively weak resistance they've faced from Hamas .

Hezbollah is a much more organized army. Hamas , they usually run away."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20090114/wl_mcclatchy/3145000

The IDF manages to demonstrate it isnt using WP inappropriately by sending three WP shells to the UNRWA headquarters (packed with supplies, UN staff and 700 refugees), and setting it on fire:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/15/israel-gaza-offensive-truce-talks

Af-ire-at-the-UN-building-002.jpg

edit: in other news, Western-backed regimes refuse to attend the Qatari emergency summit:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2009/jan/15/gaza-egypt-saudi-qatar-summit

The Parliamentary debate is worth watching, several prominent and informed MPs make telling contributions, several drones make the stock pro-Israeli points.

Also used phosphorus to set fire to the main hospital today.

Do you think they're having a 'let's see who can commit the most war-crimes in a day' competition between different units?

Seems like they're going through the war crime statutes looking for ones they haven't broken yet...

It the article below is true, Israel won't stop soon & it explains why Hamas seem somewhat more receptive to a cease fire. They're losing, militarily anyway.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/mcclatchy/20090114/wl_mcclatchy/3145000

Thing is, the Israelis have such complete media control, especially about this kind of stuff that you don't know for sure and politically, they've every reason to lie about it if they're having a hard time.

Having said that I wouldn't be a bit surprised to discover that Hamas are neither as together nor (especially) as well equipped as Hezbollah. The latter turned out, according to later military appraisals (e.g. Cordesman and people like that), to have received a lot more modern Russian anti-tank weapons from Syria than anyone had thought and used them very effectively against relatively poorly trained and undisciplined Israeli troops. I imagine the much tighter control the Israelis have over Gaza's borders means Hamas don't have anything like the kit and I'd be extremely surprised if the Israelis haven't tried hard to tighten up training and discipline with a view to reducing their losses at all costs (and almost inevitably causing more civilian casualties as a result of that objective)

I'd be quite surprised if it's as much of a walkover as that piece suggests though.

Thing is, the Israelis have such complete media control, especially about this kind of stuff that you don't know for sure and politically, they've every reason to lie about it if they're having a hard time.

Having said that I wouldn't be a bit surprised to discover that Hamas are neither as together nor (especially) as well equipped as Hezbollah. The latter turned out, according to later military appraisals (e.g. Cordesman and people like that), to have received a lot more modern Russian anti-tank weapons from Syria than anyone had thought and used them very effectively against relatively poorly trained and undisciplined Israeli troops. I imagine the much tighter control the Israelis have over Gaza's borders means Hamas don't have anything like the kit and I'd be extremely surprised if the Israelis haven't tried hard to tighten up training and discipline with a view to reducing their losses at all costs (and almost inevitably causing more civilian casualties as a result of that objective)

I'd be quite surprised if it's as much of a walkover as that piece suggests though.

The tactics are different this time. I think the civilian casualities are so great becasue they are standing off and using tank shelling - no hand to hand building to building stuff - Barak wants to win the election after all

The IDF manages to demonstrate it isnt using WP inappropriately by sending three WP shells to the UNRWA headquarters (packed with supplies, UN staff and 700 refugees), and setting it on fire
I was wondering, if WP is allegedly only used as a smoke screen, why use it at night when it illuminates the troops the screen is meant to hide?

I haven't been keeping up with the various threads on Israels attacks on Gaza as it just gets me too angry so apologies if I am repeating things. I was surprised and gladdened to hear that 10,000 Israeli protesters marched in Israel on Saturday 10th. Apparently this is an unprecedented number. Here is a link to the protest held on the 3rd.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=mc9DN2Oi0-w

I was wondering, if WP is allegedly only used as a smoke screen, why use it at night when it illuminates the troops the screen is meant to hide?
Because it lets troops who don't have night vision kit see what's happening.

My problem with the way the Israelis are using it is that they are using it in areas where they DON'T have ground troops (ie. in the area of the UN headquarters). We've seen pictures of Palestinians stamping on bits of burning phosphorus (a really, really stupid thing to do!), reasonably calmly - not a reaction you would expect if there were a load of iDF troops assualting that area. I can only assume that they are using it as an area denial weapon to force people indoors.

Still Breathing, A Report from Gaza

By Caoimhe Butterly

The morgues of Gaza's hospitals are over-flowing. The bodies in theirblood-soaked white shrouds cover the entire floor space of the Shifahospital morgue. Some are intact, most horribly deformed, limbs twistedinto unnatural positions, chest cavities exposed, heads blown off, skullscrushed in. Family members wait outside to identify and claim a brother,husband, father, mother, wife, child. Many of those who wait their turnhave lost numerous family members and loved ones.

Blood is everywhere. Hospital orderlies hose down the floors of operatingrooms, bloodied bandages lie discarded in corners, and the injuredcontinue to pour in: bodies lacerated by shrapnel, burns, bullet wounds.Medical workers, exhausted and under siege, work day and night and eachlife saved is seen as a victory over the predominance of death.

The streets of Gaza are eerily silent- the pulsing life and rhythm ofmarkets, children, fishermen walking down to the sea at dawn brutallystilled and replaced by an atmosphere of uncertainty, isolation and fear.The ever-present sounds of surveillance drones, F16s, tanks and apachesare listened to acutely as residents try to guess where the next deadlystrike will be- which house, school, clinic, mosque, governmental buildingor community centre will be hit next and how to move before it does. Thatthere are no safe places- no refuge for vulnerable human bodies- is feltacutely. It is a devastating awareness for parents- that there is no wayto keep their children safe.

As we continue to accompany the ambulances, joining Palestinian paramedicsas they risk their lives, daily, to respond to calls from those with noother life-line, our existence becomes temporarily narrowed down andfocused on the few precious minutes that make the difference between lifeand death. With each new call received as we ride in ambulances thatcareen down broken, silent roads, sirens and lights blaring, there existsa battle of life over death. We have learned the language of the war thatthe Israelis are waging on the collective captive population of Gaza- todistinguish between the sounds of the weaponry used, the timing betweenthe first missile strikes and the inevitable second- targeting those thatrush to tend to and evacuate the wounded, to recognize the signs of thedifferent chemical weapons being used in this onslaught, to overcome theinitial vulnerability of recognizing our own mortality.

Though many of the calls received are to pick up bodies, not the wounded,the necessity of affording the dead a dignified burial drives theparamedics to face the deliberate targeting of their colleagues andcomrades- thirteen killed while evacuating the wounded, fourteenambulances destroyed- and to continue to search for the shattered bodiesof the dead to bring home to their families.

Last night, while sitting with paramedics in Jabaliya refugee camp,drinking tea and listening to their stories, we received a call to respondto the aftermath of a missile strike. When we arrived at the outskirts ofthe camp where the attack had taken place the area was filled with cloudsof dust, torn electricity lines, slabs of concrete and open water pipesgushing water into the street. Amongst the carnage of severed limbs andblood we pulled out the body of a young man, his chest and face laceratedby shrapnel wounds, but alive- conscious and moaning.

As the ambulance sped him through the cold night we applied pressure tohis wounds, the warmth of his blood seeping through the bandages reminderof the life still in him. He opened his eyes in answer to my questions andclosed them again as Muhammud, a volunteer paramedic, murmured "ayeesh,nufuss"- live, breathe- over and over to him. He lost consciousness as wearrived at the hospital, received into the arms of friends who carried himinto the emergency room. He, Majid, lived and is recovering.

A few minutes later there was another missile strike, this time on aresidential house. As we arrived a crowd had rushed to the ruins of thefour story home in an attempt to drag survivors out from under the rubble.The family the house belonged to had evacuated the area the day before andthe only person in it at the time of the strike was 17 year old Muhammudwho had gone back to collect clothes for his family. He was dragged outfrom under the rubble still breathing- his legs twisted in unnaturaldirections and with a head wound, but alive. There was no choice but tomove him, with the imminence of a possible second strike, and he lay inthe ambulance moaning with pain and calling for his mother. We thought hewould live, he was conscious though in intense pain and with the rest ofthe night consumed with call after call to pick up the wounded and thedead, I forgot to check on him. This morning we were called to pick up abody from Shifa hospital to take back to Jabaliya. We carried a bodywrapped in a blood-soaked white shroud into the ambulance, and it wasn'tuntil we were on the road that we realized that it was Muhammud's body.His brother rode with us, opening the shroud to tenderly kiss Muhammud'sforehead.

This morning we received news that Al-Quds hospital in Gaza City was undersiege. We tried unsuccessfully for hours to gain access to the hospital,trying to organize co-ordination to get the ambulances past Israeli tanksand snipers to evacuate the wounded and dead. Hours of unsuccessfulattempts later we received a call from the Shujahiya neighborhood,describing a house where there were both dead and wounded patients to pickup. The area was deserted, many families having fled as Israeli tanks andsnipers took up position amongst their homes, other silent in the dark,cold confines of their homes, crawling from room to room to avoid sniperfire through their windows.

As we drove slowly around the area, we heard women’s cries for help. Weapproached their house on foot, followed by the ambulances and as we cameto the threshold of their home, they rushed towards us with theirchildren, shaking and crying with shock. At the door of the house theambulance lights exposed the bodies of four men, lacerated by shrapnelwounds- the skull and brains of one exposed, others whose limbs had beensevered off. The four were the husbands and brothers of the women, who hadventured out to search for bread and food for their families. Their bodieswere still warm as we struggled to carry them on stretchers over theuneven ground, their blood staining the earth and our clothes. As weprepared to leave the area our torches illuminated the slumped figure ofanother man, his abdomen and chest shredded by shrapnel. With no space inthe other ambulances, and the imminent possibility of sniper fire, we wereforced to take his body in the back of the ambulance carrying the womenand children. One of the little girls stared at me before coming into myarms and telling me her name- Fidaa', which means to sacrifice. She staredat the body bag, asking when he would wake up.

Once back at the hospital we received word that the Israeli army hadshelled Al Quds hospital, that the ensuing fire risked spreading and thatthere had been a 20-minute time-frame negotiated to evacuate patients,doctors and residents in the surrounding houses. By the time we got upthere in a convoy of ambulances, hundreds of people had gathered. With theshelling of the UNRWA compound and the hospital there was a deep awarenessthat nowhere in Gaza is safe, or sacred.

We helped evacuate those assembled to near-by hospitals and schools thathave been opened to receive the displaced. The scenes were deeplysaddening- families, desperate and carrying their children, blankets andbags of their possessions venturing out in the cold night to try to find acorner of a school or hospital to shelter in. The paramedic we were withreferred to the displacement of the over 46,000 Gazan Palestinians now onthe move as a continuation of the ongoing Nakba of dispossession and exileseen through generation after generation enduring massacre after massacre.

Today's death toll was over 75, one of the bloodiest days since the startof this carnage. Over 1,110 Palestinians have been killed in the past 21days. 367 of those have been children. The humanitarian infrastructure ofGaza is on its knees- already devastated by years of comprehensive siege.There has been a deliberate, systematic destruction of all places ofrefuge. There are no safe places here, for anyone.

And yet, in the face of so much desecration, this community has remainedintact. The social solidarity and support between people is inspiring, andthe steadfastness of Gaza continues to humble and inspire all those whowitness it. Their level of sacrifice demands our collective response- andrecognition that demonstrations are not enough. Gaza, Palestine and itspeople continue to live, breathe, resist and remain intact and thisrefusal to be broken is a call and challenge to us all.

-----

Caoimhe Butterly is an Irish human rights activist working in Jabaliya andGaza City as a volunteer with ambulance services and as co-coordinator forthe Free Gaza Movement, She can be contacted on 00972-598273960 or atsahara78@hotmail.co.uk

A number of people have been arrested after a group of protesters attacked an arms factory in Sussex.

EDO MBM Technology in Moulsecombe was broken into overnight by the Smash EDO group in response to the action by the Israeli military in Gaza.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/sussex/7835082.stm
Given the old ruling that attacking trident had been lawful, I wonder if these guys can argue they were merely trying to prevent a war crime.

Given the old ruling that attacking trident had been lawful, I wonder if these guys can argue they were merely trying to prevent a war crime.
Given the precedent set in the Raytheon case in NI too (or is it the same one?) here's hoping they do. :) Further to this protests have been taking plave at that plant on the 9th Jan:-
Gaza protestors blockade Raytheon plant in Derry

Friday, 9 January 2009

Up to 70 protesters are blocking workers from entering the premises of the US weapons manufacturer Raytheon in Derry this morning as part of a protest against the Israeli attack on Gaza.

The Derry Anti-War Coalition says the company is being targeted because of its involvement in producing weapons being used by the Israeli military in Gaza.

Raytheon is the world's third largest arms manufacturer and makes Patriot, Sidewinder and Tomahawk missiles.

However, it says its Derry operation only makes civilian aviation systems.

Two years ago, protesters in Derry stormed its offices and threw computers and files out of the windows, but were later cleared of theft and damage charges after arguing that they were trying to save lives.

source

Back
Top Bottom