Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Hundreds of workers protest against Italians/Foreigners 'taking jobs'...

Saw the workers from Aberthaw in S.Wales on the news. The spokesman explained that they weren't protesting against foreign workers but against the bosses- he even said that they work alongside Poles at Aberthaw and had 'taken them under their wing' and that 'we will accept more use of foreign labour if the recession blows over'. Seemed like a pretty fair line to me- but it's easy to see how this will be/is being misrepresented in the dumbed down media.

The risk of the BNP capitalising on this must be small, after all they are banned from the trade union movement and any BNP members handing out literature at actions would be clocked straight away, i'm hoping? Plus, surely it's not a 100% white workforce, if there are a few black and Asian workers protesting as well then that's immediately workers who are excluded from joining or supporting a whites-only party.

You can understand their anger and frustration, but in the face of job losses in the industrial sector in the order of tens of thousands, they need to direct action at the real causes of the recession, instead of trying to scape-goat a few hundred Italian workers. Other countries in the EU will be watching all of this, and it could cause reciprocity and increase antagonism towards British workers abroad. How much longer before we see "Italian jobs for Italian workers" demos in Italy (and similar in other countries for that matter) and calls for "British workers to go home"?

Originally Posted by butchersapron
...some people really do expect the w/c to be some perfectly formed group with perfectly correct politics (no sexism, no racism etc) before getting involved in any struggle.

What strange circles you mix in.

British jobs for british workers words that will come back to haunt poor old gordy.but putting aside the rights and wrongs of this dispute of which i can see a lot of conflicting views .is this the start of an unrest against the downturn.You get things like honda shutting down for four months ,the workers must have in the back of their minds that perhaps the plant won't open again

just done a wee scan of some of tomorrows papers.

the Times are calling this the
dawn of new age of industrial unrest as wildcat strikes spread across UK

Jon Cruddas is in the Guardian and has written quite an interesting piece imo, featuring fairly strong criticism of the government.

The strikes are not about xenophobia, they're about large corporations and free markets that are out of control.

Britain has lost control of key industries and their labour procurement procedures. The Lincolnshire dispute is a small symptom of a big problem. Britain is a country that no longer owns the productive processes that create its wealth. Crucial economic sectors have been handed over to unaccountable foreign ownership. The government has abandoned workers to exploitation, more concerned with making them fit the global market than in protecting their interests.

The government has done nothing to halt the EU race to the bottom. Its own labour market policies succeeded in the boom years because exploitation, precarious jobs and exploitative levels of pay could be offset by cheap credit and then hidden behind the sparkle of consumerism. Those times are over. With social insurance in short supply, people's key source of economic security was the rising asset value of their homes. That's gone. There is no cheap credit to make up for falling or stagnant wages.

The left must offer a real and viable alternative. We have to reverse the years of wealth redistribution from poor to rich. We need regulation to end low pay, low skill and casualised labour. Strong trade unions are the best defence against exploitation. Work and quality of life can be improved by introducing a living wage. And why don't we discuss having a maximum income? Both can be defined by establishing a maximum ratio of difference between the most and least well-paid. We need to create new forms of economic citizenship, and bring the economy and work under greater democratic control. That should be the agenda, not "British jobs for British workers".

the Sun seem to be running some back to the 70s theme and Trevor Kavanagh is vague but ultimately against the strikes, and warning of the consequences of a return of union power.
The credit crunch is reviving buried grievances. The Total protest was sparked by rising unemployment, but inflamed by foreign staff — an issue unions have ignored during Labour’s migrant invasion. Gordon Brown promised “British jobs for British workers”. Now, it’s claimed British workers are banned from working on UK soil by Total contractors. This protest is only the first. Militant RMT boss Bob Crowe is desperate to widen the dispute with a rail strike. State workers feel threatened by anger over pay, pension and job security “apartheid” between them and the private sector. The Tories, once elected, were always going to face a return to rent-a-mob riots. With Labour doomed to annihilation, why should union bovver boys wait?

the Independent's leader answers nothing, the main message is that "you can't do that its just protectionism with another name", and continues in an absurd manner to point out that the Grimsby unemployed can't "get on their bike" because there are no more jobs in Europe. apparently if there were, it would be reasonable to expect them to up sticks, leave their families and go and live on a boat in Trieste or Hamburg docks for a few years....

Nor is it realistic to talk about "getting on your bike". While Britain may be especially affected by recession, all European countries have been hit. Even export-led economies, such as Germany's, are suffering; rising unemployment precipitated strikes which brought France to a halt by strikes on Thursday. Rates of growth in the Baltic states, once the poster-children of the free market, are falling sharply, fuelling street protests.

And the knee-jerk response everywhere is the one being demanded by the protesters in Lincolnshire: preferential treatment for nationals – protectionism by any other name. It is one that, regrettably, appears to form part of President Obama's economic stimulus package for the United States, although the World Trade Organisation may have something to say about it. It also finds expression in new trade tariffs levied by India and Russia.

nothing up on the Mirror website yet, apart from this whitewash from arch-Brownite Kevin Maguire's blog:
The walkouts over the use of foreign labour on British construction sites have been brewing for months as this and this story make clear.

The Unite union co-leader Derek Simpson has lobbied the Government, including Gordon Brown, not for a ban foreign workers(which would be wrong and is illegal) but to give local workers the chance to compete for jobs.

Energy giants sub-contract work and have been washing their hands of the issue. Those days are over. This is an explosive issue with frightening implications for race relations that needs to be defused immediately. I hope Energy Secretary Ed Miliband was on the first flight back to Britain from the Davos talking shop.

finally, the Independent also says there's going to be a car park meeting tomorrow or Monday to discuss a walkout at Sellafield. at what point do these walk outs at places like that start to cause blackouts? :confused:

sorry to go on, but...
Its a very constructive point Belboid

no, its not. Constructive is actually proposing something useful not just going 'that's shit'. even when (as in this case) you are absolutely right that it is shit.

i also don't think it's a bad thing that the left didn't immediately pose up 'the line' on their websites. it's a sign that they had to thnk about the correct position to take, in what is clearly a strike based upon a number of contradictory attitudes. Who would want a kneejerk response, whether it be an unmitigated yea or nay?

That said, the SW article is shit. It's not true that the workers have blamed 'Italians or Poles or Portuguese workers', even though many of the slogans used haven't been ones that most of us would. Brown should be targetted for the use of that slogan, as he did so and was obviously lying and paying to the gallery when he did so. For a group just to slag off the strike as being racist (which SW dont quite do, but come close as damn it) just cuts them off from discussing the real issue, which is employing non-union labour on non-union terms. And that means that the soft racist attitudes which do seem to be their to some extent are going to go unchallenged, and could even come to the fore as the main focus of the strike.

Any activity the left take in response to this strike should be to ensure that it targets the gloabalised bosses rather then globalised workers.

Got to the end of page two. Has no-one thought of saying "defend our jobs, defend our rights, and if they are scabs, defend us against them, regardless of their nationality". Seems like it's an EU issue that put these workers in there (who also need the jobs) - anyone willing to admit to being pro-EU for workers rights? Thought not - despite the clamour on this website a few years ago.

sorry to go on, but...

no, its not. Constructive is actually proposing something useful not just going 'that's shit'. even when (as in this case) you are absolutely right that it is shit.

i also don't think it's a bad thing that the left didn't immediately pose up 'the line' on their websites. it's a sign that they had to thnk about the correct position to take, in what is clearly a strike based upon a number of contradictory attitudes. Who would want a kneejerk response, whether it be an unmitigated yea or nay?

That said, the SW article is shit. It's not true that the workers have blamed 'Italians or Poles or Portuguese workers', even though many of the slogans used haven't been ones that most of us would. Brown should be targetted for the use of that slogan, as he did so and was obviously lying and paying to the gallery when he did so. For a group just to slag off the strike as being racist (which SW dont quite do, but come close as damn it) just cuts them off from discussing the real issue, which is employing non-union labour on non-union terms. And that means that the soft racist attitudes which do seem to be their to some extent are going to go unchallenged, and could even come to the fore as the main focus of the strike.

Any activity the left take in response to this strike should be to ensure that it targets the gloabalised bosses rather then globalised workers.

(1) I think you're being a wimp. The strike is racist (no striker wants to repatriate necessarily, but it opens those ideas). But as someone who embraces the fundamental reasons the strike came about, you put yourself in the middle of the is AND why of the strike. And I would hope any left group would do that.

(2) The pious comments on what 'the left' might do reveal more about how wedded people who do little at all are to what people who do not much. It's a bit sad that criticisms are made online (and critiques are important) by people who have no intention of doing anything but commenting on the strike.

(3) The SWPs position is horrific. But they are joining the strike. And fair play to them for engaging (if they do).

mm, is it just me, or does that not actually make much sense?

The strike is for a number of varied and contradictory reasons, to simply call it 'racist' is to miss the point, even tho some of the slogans used veer strongly towards racism.

You have no idea what anyone on here might or might not do, so dont make lazy assumptions simply in order to justify your own position

Are they (SW) getting involved? Nothing in that article says they are doing. If they do I hope they do in a farm more nuanced way than is expressed in that article.

Well the SWP have (apparently) sent a very significant number of their cadre - significantly depleted in recent years I grant you - to join said workers.
I will challenge your post. You start by saying it (my post) doesn't make sense then you respond to every point. I'm saying it's racist. I'm not saying there aren't very differing reasons for people joining it nor that it's for whatever reason. The same as a strike about working hours doesn't mean every person on the picket line is in favour of that slogan. So, I hope to satiate you, I think you'll agree the slogans from the workers are racist. And need to be challenged. The underlying issue needs to be challenged even more (and actually, supported).

I'm not justifying my lazy position. I'm as bad as all these people who are doing nothing too.

I've outlined my answer to 3. AFAIK. The Sparts were quickest up there.

sorry, i meant to delete that first line after i'd re-read your post a couple of times, and made sense of it. but it's gone 3am, and i'm somewhat inebriated and slightly lacking in cognitive abilities

[10 points to the first person to take advantage of the obvious cheap shot i've left myself open to there]

But to have their flags flying in among hundreds of laminated cards with the slogan "British Jobs For British Workers"? Like I say, I'd be horrified if it were my union.

For god sake... are you really surprised they are waving flags? Flags, banners, logos etc. are things people identify with. You may not like it but a lot of these folks probably do identify with their countries flag as they support sports etc. The flag represents them as a collective, just as a silly red flag represents some out of touch trots attitude to politics.
The slogans are not unsurprising either.
They are effectively saying, jobs for our community, the community that is ruled by the same set of laws, taxed by the same government, represented by the same government.
This is often expressed in geographical terms, that is how the common man on the street see's it. Of course the BNP will capatalise on this to push their racist policies. The primary reason for this, is because the logo, icons, flags and such like that many people associate with have been excluded from the left by liberal twats who see it fit to dictate to the working masses what is acceptible. Keep the red flag flying indeed.....
Rather then reclaim iconography and move it forward with the countries attitudes in a positive manner, it has been effectively bypassed even to the point of surpressed on the left, with the byproduce of letting the utter bastards of the BNP and their ilk claim it as their own.

The strike is racist

Hence the black people in the crowd right, or did that pass you by?

Also the BNP I believe are all lovy dovey about "Kindred Europeans" or some similar bollocks in their round about way of saying "unless you are white and of European decent fuck off". This of course shows them to be the bullshit merchants they are, one day backing their fellow European brethen and the next sticking the knife in.. but I digress.
This has nothing to do with race, but everything to do with one set of people feeling threatened by a Neo-Liberal approach to business.

As a side point, I wonder if the Italians will be out there supporting the British workers eventually? Might stick a big stick in the wheels of the Total ;).

It does seem to be worker against worker which is sad.Also isn't wildcat strikes and sympathy strikes illegal under thatchers laws.it will interesting to see how this progreses.there are many different groups taking out of it their own slant the papers and the bnp all putting over in a way that suits their agenda

Cruddas makes some good points in that Guardian article. The issue with the Italian workers is a cause celebre, and not the real, substantive cause for protest or strike. They are being scape-goated for the failings of free market capitalism and corporate greed. The focus on the Italians though does come across as xenophobic. It is a form of protectionism, that could end up futile and counter-productive. If a nationalistic fervour for occupational protectionism runs amok throughout Europe, British workers could end up losing more jobs on the European continent than she gains over here.

Of course they aren't. So, do we just tell the BNP: "OK, you lot can have these guys. We don't want anything to do with them"?

But won't the BNP will capitalise on this anti-foreign worker feeling? So isn't this playing into their hands?

@ brix are the workers using that message wholesale or the media?

ignoring them pushes them right in to the arms of the BNP imo

engage, discuss if you have the chance, but don't dismiss them for being desperate people trying to protect jobs and their local communities and using language you might not be 100% comfortable with.

I haven't dismissed them Dan. What I've said is that I'm worried that the unions are associating themselves with that message when they should be trying to redirect the focus of the anger. The workers have a right to be angry, but the people they're aiming that anger at are not the cause of the problem.

oh dahlin' the rose is superb....

FUCK OFF.

You know, this is why I don't post on many threads in this forum. Engage with me or don't. That's just a pathetic response.

They are not asking you too, they have enough support anyway.

treelover, that was in response to dlr's post saying that I needed to stand shoulder-to-shoulder with the protestors.

For god sake... are you really surprised they are waving flags? Flags, banners, logos etc. are things people identify with. You may not like it but a lot of these folks probably do identify with their countries flag as they support sports etc. The flag represents them as a collective, just as a silly red flag represents some out of touch trots attitude to politics.

What I was surprised about, as I stated clearly, is that they were holding up the union flags in amongst those hundreds of laminated cards saying "British Jobs for British People". That shows an implicit support for that message. My point is that I think the message that is coming out of the protests is xenaphobic, the anger is directed at the wrong people, and I am surprised and disappointed the unions are not trying to refocus the workers rightly felt anger in the right direction and at the right people.

The phrase "British jobs for British people" is a direct response to Gordon Browns use of it being thrown back at him. It's less to do with fear of foreigners and more to with the genuine fear of people losing or thinking they're about to lose work. Brown has alot to answer for using it in the first place.

The response of the British Left is dispiriting. You have a genuine working class response to something for the first time in years and they don't know how to respond. Their websites are still leading with student occupations of lecture hall in support of Gaza! All v worthy but terribly middle class and for the SWP to dismiss the walkouts with the sneering patronising tone of 'why do you think papers like the Sun are supporting it" is misguided to say the least.

it's not a matter of "should" - it's an inevitable result of opening up a labour market to workers who, for whatever reason, are prepared to work for less.

What is your proposed solution, to stop this happening?

p-u-l-l o-u-t o-f t-h-e f-u-c-k-i-n-g b-a-s-t-a-r-d e-u-r-o-p-e-a-n u-n-i-o-n

:)

This is good.

Hey lads,

I'm a Brit working overseas, just like many of you have done in the past - and might end up having to do in the future. Please think carefully about how you deal with your situation. The last thing we all want are bosses exploiting the divisions between workers that are based on nationality. The scum that send jobs from profitable factories in the developed world to sweatshops exploiting children and wage slaves in other parts of the world would end up having a field day with all of us if they could play us off against other Europeans. I might be wrong, but I think the tawdry sell-out leadership of the union has a lot to answer for, particularly in its continued funding of New Labour (the Tory B Team), and its backroom deals that sell out working families. Instead, they should have been building links with effective workers organizations around the world, helping to unionize on a global scale, and taking the fight to the exploiters who tell us we're lucky to have some dead end job. Moreover, our unions, the organizations that take our dues, also need to grow a backbone and form a new party run by workers that stands for the interests of workers. Right now, Europe is ripe for such a party. The massive protests in France and Greece are just a precursor for what is to come. Ever thought of contacting and building links with those workers and strengthening a Europe wide protest against workers getting the shaft? Sounds like a better option than having the real guilty parties. that cabal of bosses, union leadership sell-outs, and New Labor continuing to take advantage of the working class. Just my thoughts, Digger

http://www.bearfacts.co.uk/Forum/index.php?topic=126.0

Back
Top Bottom