Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Have You Read Capital vol. One?

Have you read Capital vol 1?

• Total voters
:D

Anyway, back on topic: commies who haven't read Capital - is it all about the Manifesto, or are you going on secondary sources?

I have actually read the Manifesto and the 14h Brumaire (?)

I suspec that a lot of the Communists I knew growing up (mostly old men) had actually read much of Marx at all - most of them had left school at 14, though some would later educate themselves/miners reading rooms etc.

I read it and most of Marx's other works because I had to, found them to be quite interesting and do intend to return to them once I have more free time on my hands.

I suspec that a lot of the Communists I knew growing up (mostly old men) had actually read much of Marx at all - most of them had left school at 14, though some would later educate themselves/miners reading rooms etc.

I've found they're likely to be the types who've read more Marx than anyone. My GD had me on Capital at 14.

18th. Yup, good source.

My Granddad was a Tankie, and a self educated man. He made it his business to read every obscure thing he could lay his hands on. I think a lot were like that.

I have actually read the Manifesto
I think I may have read that too, at least started to anyway. It's definitely on my shelf waiting to be read along with countless other books that make me look like a proper intellectual!

Prediction: I'm expecting only the first 3 chapters to be the most popular option, eventually.

So far it's only me willing to admit defeat and/or distraction.

If it helps, the person I gave my copy to read it all the way through, and is now a Marxist.

But what if it brainwashes me?!

It's like exactly what happened with the Da Vinci Code! Really easy to read but then you start to believe all the crap about Jesus not really being the son of God!

Considering what you already believe then yes, you may have a problem.

I've only read it properly, right through, once. Although I'm currently doing that a second time, with the Harvey lectures. Apart from that, I do dip into particular parts from time to time.

So the majority of those responding so far haven't read it. That surprises me. I thought there'd be more of a passing acquaintance amongst P&P posters.

Back
Top Bottom