Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

You have to earn £38,700 before your overseas partner/spouse can live in the UK

I no longer believe they have a plan of any kind at all. Not a coherent one that makes sense across the various ministries. They're just scrambling for power with no care for how to operate it and fuck the consequences.
The plan is simply to cut immigration, thinking its an election winner, without any planning for future workforce development nationally

The plan is simply to cut immigration, thinking its an election winner, without any planning for future workforce development nationally

I don't think the plan is to cut immigration - it's simply to do anything that looks like it might curb immigration, or just make frothing loons who watch KGB news feel good.

It's just about limping to the GE. It's not about actually being a government, it's simply about mitigating losses, via Reform to Labour at the GE.

Add that to their need to rely on off the peg suitably skilled workers having never invested themselves or collectively in a training and skills strategy and you can begin to understand what is often wrong with such business models.

This is a big part of the problem. Due to a combination of training and education cuts, social security reforms, the housing crisis and eye watering student fees it's become virtually impossible to train in any kind of skilled work as an adult in the UK. Even if you can find a publicly funded course - and most training for skilled trades like being a chef is run by very expensive private companies - the DWP are likely to put a stop to it or decide you should go and do work related activity instead of actually training or studying for a decent job. Even things like nursing only comes with a training bursery of about £5000 a year, you can't even rent a room for that in a lot of cities.

Much of this was deliberate. A large part of Iain Duncan Smith's reforms were based on a 'work first' approach, imported from the US. Under this system the intention is to push people into taking the first job they are offered no matter how shit or low paid (or coerced into applying for under threat of sanction) rather than allowing them to go to college or attend training for more skilled work.

It's not that people in the UK don't want to be nurses, or chefs, or electricians or whatever. It's not even that salaries in those sectors are often fairly low, although that doesn't help. It's that's it's near impossible for most people to have the time and funds available to train for these jobs and keep a roof over their head whilst doing so.

This is a big part of the problem. Due to a combination of training and education cuts, social security reforms, the housing crisis and eye watering student fees it's become virtually impossible to train in any kind of skilled work as an adult in the UK. Even if you can find a publicly funded course - and most training for skilled trades like being a chef is run by very expensive private companies - the DWP are likely to put a stop to it or decide you should go and do work related activity instead of actually training or studying for a decent job. Even things like nursing only comes with a training bursery of about £5000 a year, you can't even rent a room for that in a lot of cities.

Much of this was deliberate. A large part of Iain Duncan Smith's reforms were based on a 'work first' approach, imported from the US. Under this system the intention is to push people into taking the first job they are offered no matter how shit or low paid (or coerced into applying for under threat of sanction) rather than allowing them to go to college or attend training for more skilled work.

It's not that people in the UK don't want to be nurses, or chefs, or electricians or whatever. It's not even that salaries in those sectors are often fairly low, although that doesn't help. It's that's it's near impossible for most people to have the time and funds available to train for these jobs and keep a roof over their head whilst doing so.
That’s a really informative post , thanks

I don't think the plan is to cut immigration - it's simply to do anything that looks like it might curb immigration, or just make frothing loons who watch KGB news feel good.

It's just about limping to the GE. It's not about actually being a government, it's simply about mitigating losses, via Reform to Labour at the GE.
Of course there a sense of performance about it . Cabinet reshuffle and its lights , camera , action however depending on when the election is they also set up Labour into deciding whether to twist or stick with the legislation . The Tories may not be judged on whether they cut immigration or not but Labour will so it’s pass the baton .

While I disagree with having an income limit at all, at least the previous one was manageable for a lot of people, even many pensioners and most people working in the care sector. This is just insane. People working in the care sector are underpaid, but £36k just is not going to happen for most job roles, and a lot of them will have no choice but to leave the UK rather than never live with their partners and children again.

I was giving an example of a recent reaction of the business community, the same business community that you hoped would provide a fierce reaction. The first response from said business community is always to say they can't afford it, many build a business model around low wages in which pay rises, minimum salary levels ,and even operating with sufficient staff etc make them unsustainable. Add that to their need to rely on off the peg suitably skilled workers having never invested themselves or collectively in a training and skills strategy and you can begin to understand what is often wrong with such business models.

I am totally against the dependants and family criteria being tied into this proposed scheme and whilst I think the salary threshold is too high I also think that the example you gave of paying qualified chefs £26k is too low.

The sector that should be providing a fierce reaction should be the trade unions and the Labour Party.

£26k might be too low in London, but in a lot of areas of the country it'd be reasonable. A £10k raise would be something that a lot of businesses genuinely could not afford. And it wouldn't be enough for the extra thresholds for any kids they have, either.

While I disagree with having an income limit at all, at least the previous one was manageable for a lot of people, even many pensioners and most people working in the care sector. This is just insane. People working in the care sector are underpaid, but £36k just is not going to happen for most job roles, and a lot of them will have no choice but to leave the UK rather than never live with their partners and children again.

£26k might be too low in London, but in a lot of areas of the country it'd be reasonable. A £10k raise would be something that a lot of businesses genuinely could not afford. And it wouldn't be enough for the extra thresholds for any kids they have, either.
My son manages a cafe bar with full day menu and he says £26k is not enough for a qualified and experienced chef in Manchester .
How do we ensure decent wages if businesses can’t afford them?

My son manages a cafe bar with full day menu and he says £26k is not enough for a qualified and experienced chef in Manchester .
How do we ensure decent wages if businesses can’t afford them?

Would he think £38,700 is a realistic salary, though? (I wrote the wrong amount before).

If there are going to be any income limits at all (there shouldn't be) this is waaay beyond anything reasonable.

Would he think £38,700 is a realistic salary, though? (I wrote the wrong amount before).

If there are going to be any income limits at all (there shouldn't be) this is waaay beyond anything reasonable.
Shouldn’t think so and if you read my earlier post I said that I didn’t think that income level was right

The Tories are basically poisoning the well, the plan is managed decline and set the foundation for a one term Labour government.
There’s a reason why the populist right in this country hasn’t been pushed that hard yet by Bannonite dark money and social media fuckery - they’re waiting for the Starmer’s centrist pillocks to take charge, then It’ll all be ‘liberal elite’ ‘wokery’ and ‘think of the mens’, the creation of a crisis to put them out of power for generations. See what has become of the establishment left in other European countries like France, nowhere to be seen. That’s the future Labour faces.

Anyhow, this increase is just the same elitist shit they’ve been playing for years. Only the wealthy are welcome and free to love who they please. Small people don’t count.

It reminds me of the sickness I felt in my stomach years ago under Major (or possibly Thatcher) when they were discussing the handover of Hong Kong, and how they wanted to look at immigration rules so ‘top people’ (their words) could come here. Fuck everyone else.

And they specifically changed the rules on pet passports so Chris Patten could ship his dogs to and from Hong Kong (when governor there) without weeks of quarantine. They rate their own pets more important than people. Fuck their faces.

Christ, your empathy for the poster suddenly in a very tight and emotionally difficult spot is overwhelming.

Get your snark to fuck, and preferably yourself with it, if you've nothing useful to say.

Steady on, wankbrain.

It wasn't a comment on the OP's unfortunate position, but on the likelihood of people being able to game the system. People have had to prove income for various reasons forever. Back in the day, to get a mortgage, a letter from an employer, often fraudulently obtained, was enough to get a bank to bung you the money. Nowadays it's not so simple. You need to pony-up P60s or accounts and if you can't, you don't get the loan. And that's just for a lender who doesn't have access to your officially declared finances. Here, you'd need to bullshit one government department into believing that you have income that another government department knows you don't (or would ask you to pay tax on because you haven't declared it).

Last edited:
Steady on, wankbrain.

It wasn't a comment on the OP's unfortunate position, but on the likelihood of people being able to game the system. People have had to prove income for various reasons forever. Back in the day, to get a mortgage, a letter from an employer, often fraudulently obtained, was enough to get a bank to bung you the money. Nowadays it's not so simple. You need to pony-up P60s or accounts and if you can't, you don't get the loan. And that's just for a lender who doesn't have access to your officially declared finances. Here, you'd need to bullshit one government department into believing that you have income that another government department knows you don't (or would ask you to pay tax on because you haven't declared it).

and?

Utterly vile from a cretinous shower of shit What jobs do they think these people do that earn less than that amount. You know just unimportant stuff like Care work, social work, nursing, et cetera et cetera. I wouldn’t be surprised if they do a U-turn on forcing people to leave who are already here when their visas come up. But the venality has already been demonstrated, again.

If you are returning to the UK with a partner you will need either a job offer with the requited salary starting within 3 months, or you need £62,500 in savings, currently. As thats x4 the salary requirement I would assume its going to go up to about 155k.
I believe it's meant to be 16k + 2.5 years of minimum salary, which gets you just under 3 years, and you need to meet the income/savings requirements again when you renew, and again when you apply for right to remain after 5 years. So you'd expect the savings requirement to be around 112k but it's still a huge amount, and I wouldn't put it past them to increase the 16k threshold.

Even if £38k is the average UK salary, is it the average salary of people planning to get married? Mostly young starting out in life people?

On the gaming the system issue, I do remember a group of Turkish students who had one pot of money which moved between their bank accounts depending on who needed to get their visa renewed. I guess it wouldn't be as simple as showing an account with £62k in your name these days.

It will hurt the wrong people.

My son went backpacking in 2011, loved China and has lived and worked there ever since, married his lovely Chinese wife in 2017 and had a son in 2021. They came over in August for a holiday, first time I met my grandson, and they decided they’d really like him to grow up here with his cousins (and a grandma). Pie in the sky.

The report says 70,000 Family Visas issued last year, it would be interesting to know how that breaks down i.e. how many are the spouses/families of immigrants who have come here to work in the NHS etc and how many are spouses/prospective spouses of British citizens (like the OP). I suspect that the balance is heavily weighted towards the first group so it will actually be more than 70,000 people since a lot of those visa will cover kids as well.
It will hurt the wrong people.

My son went backpacking in 2011, loved China and has lived and worked there ever since, married his lovely Chinese wife in 2017 and had a son in 2021. They came over in August for a holiday, first time I met my grandson, and they decided they’d really like him to grow up here with his cousins (and a grandma). Pie in the sky.
I was discussing this with Mrs Q last night (she thinks it's fucking dumb as well). She has a new girl started in her Y7 math class this year, her Mum came as a nurse, served her 2 years and applied to bring her husband and kids. Hubby found himself a job in Costco's who are so desperate for staff that providing you're breathing, you're in. Come next April, someone else in the same position will effectively loose that option and it will be serve your time and go home.

“By increasing the requirement to more than double the national minimum wage, this government has effectively told people that only the wealthiest in society are allowed to fall in love with someone from another country.”

People aren’t taking this in. They’re not hearing that as an impact on them. They still think it’s not something that applies to British citizens.

IMG_3093.jpeg

People aren’t taking this in. They’re not hearing that as an impact on them. They still think it’s not something that applies to British citizens.
People are incredibly stupid. You must have noticed it by now. Look at all the brectums who didn't realise it would mean that their dream of retiring to Spain would be affected.

“By increasing the requirement to more than double the national minimum wage, this government has effectively told people that only the wealthiest in society are allowed to fall in love with someone from another country.”

View attachment 403331

How is it possible to read it as not applying to British citizens? It's not like the Tories have buried that info.

How is it possible to read it as not applying to British citizens? It's not like the Tories have buried that info.
See my post above. There are lots of idiots about. Far more than most people believe.

The government says that they will do something about immigration. One of the things they are doing is preventing low-earners from bringing their spouse over.

The picture in people's minds is that of an immigrant. Probably arriving on a boat. Who will not be able to bring their spouse over Yes, I know the government was talking about legal migrants, not asylum seekers. That's not the point.

Once you give up the silly idea that most people are capable of rational thought, a lot of what doesn't seem to make sense is crystal-clear. (I don't mean they were born that way. But use it or lose it, and after a few decades of laziness, they might as well have been.)

This will be a nightmare for overseas nurses.
the UK needs to re-address it's relationship with Nursing as a Profession

the RCN didn't help themselves with the ' we need a seperate payscale for Nurses ' shit , no duckie you need to use AfC job Banding propelry and realise that band 6 senior Staff Nurse should be a very common thing , jjust as band6 is now standard for Midwives with 2 years post reg experience, Pramedics with 2 years post reg experience and very few Physios or Ots are forced to stay in band 5 roles for more than a few years post reg.

when AfC came in in the mid 2000s a number of trusts ended up , after banding with Band 6 senior staff Nurses in the Emergency dept, Critical care and a few other areas such as Assessment units, Management response was to get rid of these roles rather than to accept that it;s possible to have both 'light blue' ( expert clinically ) and and 'navy blue' ( shift leader / runs the floor and the board) band 6 Nurses or that if necessary you pay a long term R+R supplement to the Navy Blue band 6 if they have more responsibility but donlt score enough to be a 7 ( some ambulance services have done this for roles such as team leader ort filed bsaded trainer/ assessors who were band 6 when paramedics were standard band 5)

ironically the apprenticeship levy stuff has been a godsend in this regard

fewer and fewer none Medical HCPs ( i.e. not Doctors) will do their pre-reg as a traditional students, a lot of the NHS ambulance services have now pivoted back to an employee trainnee route using apprenticeship moneys ( and the end product Paramedic as well as being a more rounded clinican with better experience at the point of registration ) doesn;t have student debt (London and Yorkshire explcitly , West Mids, East Mids and NWAS it's a but more implicit, others i'm not so sure aobut or have gone back to recruiting straight to Tech and then havign tech to para pathway in service )

Back
Top Bottom