Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Grenfell Tower fire in North Kensington - news and discussion

I take it that these thugs didn't bother showing any ID or otherwise identifying who they were working for? Because this is completely unacceptable behaviour.

But isn't this also a very stupid thing to do as well? I would have thought that this is one of those scenarios where you don't want to draw attention to yourselves. Even if you do tell your goons not to identify themselves, having them act all belligerent like this just screams "we've got something to hide!".

The process of wearing down the victims ahead of a full-scale cover-up is now in full flow?

"Survivors and the bereaved from the Grenfell Tower fire have expressed their “extreme frustration” at the pace of justice after Scotland Yard admitted no charges were likely for at least two years ..."

Grenfell survivors’ anger as police say no charges until 2021
the process of wearing down the survivors of that dreadful night has been in full flow for quite some time

if there'd have been riots then i am sure the process would have been much accelerated.

"Kensington and Chelsea council made £129 million from selling property in the years leading to the Grenfell fire tragedy - money that could have been spent on the tower’s renovation works which may have been fatally compromised by cost-cutting."

Exclusive: Grenfell council had £129M it could have spent on tower renovation

"Here, we detail exactly when key decisions about the tower's renovation and how to finance it were made, alongside the council's property deals ..."

Grenfell tower timeline: The key events

wire-1243617-1504201826-454_634x466.jpg

(Source: as stated in image)

Wasn't the guy from The Skinners’ Grammar School in Tunbridge Wells and Christ’s College, Cambridge with the 50-year legal career, who has also been Queen’s Counsel, receiving a knighthood while serving in the Commercial Court of the High Court in 1995, up to his appointment as Lord Justice of Appeal, supposed to tell us all this?

Sadly, another victim ...

Grenfell campaigner, 51, killed herself after writing a note describing how witnessing the disaster had ruined her life, inquest hears

16450210-7281721-image-m-24_1563983349753.jpg

"Dr Fiona Wilcox, recording a verdict of suicide, said: 'Amanda lived very close to the fire and there is no doubt that she was extremely traumatised by it.

'Following the fire she worked in the community providing support, acting as an advocate, making so many posts on social media and, at the time of her death, she was still working."

One of the Berkeley Group's 'New England style' wood & cardboard blocks on "the Hamptons" development on the former Worcester Park sewage works.

I've deliberately not read this thread for a while because it's so distressing. I came here today just to try to catch up, hopefully on positive news. All it's done is anger me. The scum who just seem to shrug off the damage they do to people's lives disgusts me.

I need to ignore this again. I'm just so angry and equally disgusted by the fudging around that's being done. Politicians, greedy landlords...arseholes at best

I've deliberately not read this thread for a while because it's so distressing. I came here today just to try to catch up, hopefully on positive news. All it's done is anger me. The scum who just seem to shrug off the damage they do to people's lives disgusts me.

I need to ignore this again. I'm just so angry and equally disgusted by the fudging around that's being done. Politicians, greedy landlords...arseholes at best

Ditto, I could not and still cannot internalize the trauma that people experienced on that day and the disdain they’ve had to cope with since. Lending empathy and the usual platitudes just doesn’t quite cut it.

I was a long way away when it happened and met a London lass on my travels, about a week or so after the fire, it was still smoking for fuck sake. We both were unable to contain our emotions.

Those pictures of Jacob Twat-Bogg asleep in the commons (in my warped opinion) gave him a look that almost resembled being human (that jaded feeling from Brexit etc) and yet I’ve just remembered that his policies and his voting was a huge factor in this happening. Should be fucking hung.

The Worcester Park fire is not the first of it's kind this year :
Fire chiefs were trying to work out why the fire spread so fast. The estate was completed in 2010 and features timber frames.

It is the third serious fire to affect a block fitted with wooden features this summer. A fire destroyed a block of 20 flats in Barking in June. The block, built in 2012, was clad with a wood-based material called Thermowood which had a Class D fire rating, according to Inside Housing. Last month a care home in Crewe built in 2009 was devastated by fire. It had a timber frame.

Regulations state that external walls must rate as a Class B or higher for fire safety but this only applies to buildings more than 18m in height.
Worcester Park fire: families lose everything after blaze devastates block of flats - Times (paywalled)

Really rich estate built with wood. Lots like this in SW London.

This particular block was managed by Metropolitan Thames Valley HA and at least some of the flats were shared ownership.

Other parts of the Worcester Park estate are very upmarket indeed. However the plans for the development also included 40% 'affordable' rented housing (originally 150 out of 500 units). The 'affordable' units (built in brick rather than the wooden 'New England' style of the expensive stuff) were managed by Thames Valley Housing who merged last year with Metropolitan.
When tenants moved in, they had to sign a Good Neighbour Agreement, which amongst other rules, required that under-15s must be home and supervised by 9pm.

So if young teenagers want to play football together this summer, the homeowners can stay out on the lush green spaces until the cows come home, but the social tenants must go home early.

Thames Valley Housing says the agreement was a preventive measure to stop anti-social behaviour before it starts.
(Inside Housing July 2008 - paywalled)

The situation produced this article in the Mail on Sunday
Apartheid UK: How a controversial law to integrate social housing in new developments is creating mini-ghettos - Mail (2008)

Those social housing tenants eh. Imagine having one next door.

Metropolitan Thames Valley HA announced a very large fire safety programme earlier this year, and earlier this week advertised for an additional fire safety officer.

Back
Top Bottom