Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Glastonbury 2008

from my experience of leeds they are already pretty similar in terms of corporate stuff - but security is nowhere near as invasive, and at glasto they actually trust the punters enough to decorate the place, rather than expecting it to get destroyed.

and once you're in you dont have to pay for much else if you dont want to.

Maybe the day when glasto insists on no booze to be taken into the site will be the day when even WoW says "no more"?:)

what a great idea. burn the cider bus to the ground, close all the rotten bars, ban booze and liberate some creative energy.

place has been going downhill ever since alcohol became a major feature.

I think a lot of people are simply fed up over the fact that you just don’t seem to be allowed to enjoy yourself at the festival anymore. The special Glastonbury feeling of anarchic freedom has gone. There has never been a need in the past for the packs of security that we saw inside the fence this year or the aggressive searching that went on at the gates. So why now? Whether or not somebody pays £150 for a ticket they still deserve to be treated with respect rather than suspicion or, in several reported cases, overt intimidation & outright hostility.

If you start treating the punters like criminals then lo & behold they start behaving that way too. I saw it at Reading when Mean Fiddler took over in 1989 and the similarities between that scenario and what we had at Glastonbury this year really were quite alarming. God forbid that Glastonbury ever degenerates into the junior pyromaniacs’ convention that we see at Reading nowadays, but too many punters already seem to be turning up purely so that they can sit on their rows of interlocked camping chairs & say “look at me I’m at Glastonbury” rather than really immersing (no pun intended) themselves in the experience.

I’m just glad that the apparent demise of the atmosphere that I loved at the festival has coincided with such a resurgence in small festivals where the organisers appreciate that it is the people and the alternative experiences they glean from an event that are the most important factors rather than seeing how many more thousands they can cram in through the gates in order to pay for whichever mega-star pop band happens to be flavour of the month in the NME at the moment. I’m afraid biggest does not equate to best any more. Quite the opposite in fact……

GO BACK TO SLEEP!

You're wrong on that one Jon. Glastonbury has a 'fallow' year every so often, but it ain't every other year.

tarannau said:
GO BACK TO SLEEP!

You're wrong on that one Jon. Glastonbury has a 'fallow' year every so often, but it ain't every other year.
i was just speaking to one of michael's mates and he said no fessie

jonH said:
i was just speaking to one of michael's mates and he said no fessie

Can't imagine why they went to all the trouble to get a 4 year licence this year then. :rolleyes:

tarannau said:
One of Michael's mates eh. Well that's me convinced then.

Pooh, what's that farmyard smell?
jonH and his crrrazy posts. whatever next.

Tort said:
There has never been a need in the past for the packs of security that we saw inside the fence this year or the aggressive searching that went on at the gates. So why now? Whether or not somebody pays £150 for a ticket they still deserve to be treated with respect rather than suspicion or, in several reported cases, overt intimidation & outright hostility.

problem is the sheer size - even if the company is reputable they dont know each and every one of the thousands of people working for them, and that cant be helped. and now that theres no single security company big enough to cover the entire event, and it gets split up between a few they become even less accountable unless the proof is concrete.

however, what they do when they realise they have a wrong un should be more evident, and where they recruit from in the first place could be improved.

I think, and I'm sure I talked about this to some of you, is what seems to me as the difference in punters' attitudes. There are those who are there as part of the festival, they bring a head full of ideas and share with people. Then there are those who go as customers, "I've paid my money now entertain me", it's almost like the difference between students, some go to learn, discuss, and develop, others feel that for their money they should get a certificate in exchange

I found though that many of the punters who would get on my nerves did not turn up to the likes of Endorset this year as glasto mud had done their legs. Great!

Catching up ....

William of Walworth said:
But I still have to get down Pilton way -- not just not wanting to miss even the chance of the well overdue hot/sunny one (I can cope with a muddy one anyway, would just prefer it dry, we're owed!).

wiskey said:
what happens if the super hot one comes around and all the people are still as awful as they are in the rain??

Not listening!! :p :D

I'm good at blanking out twats at festies or moving away from them or better still never going near them in the first place. Non wankers at Glasto far outnumber tossers IMO. Of course there are some conspicuous twats, as you'd get in any city that size, but for me more than enough nice people, old school nutters, creative n' original people even, still going.

I notice you mentioned Lost Vagueness for (well justified) criticism in another post, but Trash City was also there and a lot more lively ....

Just a matter of picking the most lively/parting/chilled/friendly areas (take yer pick!) to hang out... as you well know ....

Glass half full and that ...

And as everyone knows I still go to plenty of smaller more alternative festivals anyway ... I want the all round variety of different kinds of festie, and any comparison between Glastonbury and Leeds is well too harsh on Glastonbury for all its faults, Glasto's faults I'm well aware of but still but!!

I still have a fuckin good time in Somerset -- even this year -- and as long as that remains the experience, I still go.

In 2007 I was not very happily single at Glastonbury and at times felt unfamiliarly alone and even at times lonely. Next year I very much won't be alone, and I'll be sharing the whole experience with a fellow old school Glasto veteran. Big difference!

nevertheless, thinking possibly/maybe of stopping after 2010, gap year due in 2011. 2010 will be my 15th

aqua said:
I just want to do something new. I'm new to glasto (only been a few times) but there is more to see out there than falling into the routine of going just cos its there - I'm allergic to that :D

big world, lots to see, only so much leave from work and pennies in the bank

Thats totally cool, I respect and understand your reasons as I said :) :cool:

See you at some of the smaller ones!! :)

Tort said:
I think a lot of people are simply fed up over the fact that you just don’t seem to be allowed to enjoy yourself at the festival anymore. The special Glastonbury feeling of anarchic freedom has gone. There has never been a need in the past for the packs of security that we saw inside the fence this year or the aggressive searching that went on at the gates. So why now? Whether or not somebody pays £150 for a ticket they still deserve to be treated with respect rather than suspicion or, in several reported cases, overt intimidation & outright hostility.

If you start treating the punters like criminals then lo & behold they start behaving that way too. I saw it at Reading when Mean Fiddler took over in 1989 and the similarities between that scenario and what we had at Glastonbury this year really were quite alarming. God forbid that Glastonbury ever degenerates into the junior pyromaniacs’ convention that we see at Reading nowadays, but too many punters already seem to be turning up purely so that they can sit on their rows of interlocked camping chairs & say “look at me I’m at Glastonbury” rather than really immersing (no pun intended) themselves in the experience.

I’m just glad that the apparent demise of the atmosphere that I loved at the festival has coincided with such a resurgence in small festivals where the organisers appreciate that it is the people and the alternative experiences they glean from an event that are the most important factors rather than seeing how many more thousands they can cram in through the gates in order to pay for whichever mega-star pop band happens to be flavour of the month in the NME at the moment. I’m afraid biggest does not equate to best any more. Quite the opposite in fact……

Edit, fucked up ... more later ...

TopCat said:
Maybe the day when glasto insists on no booze to be taken into the site will be the day when even WoW says "no more"?:)

Maybe. That would be well extreme and yes bang out of order. But also, it would be very difficult to enforce given the site's size and layout, without a lot of very radical changes. Not saying those can't happen, equally monstrous changes have happened before, but I'd say, on the basis of informed ;) speculation combined with experience, that such a ban is still pretty unlikely.

The difference is, you want it to happen, to score a point .... ;)

aqua said:
I think, and I'm sure I talked about this to some of you, is what seems to me as the difference in punters' attitudes. There are those who are there as part of the festival, they bring a head full of ideas and share with people. Then there are those who go as customers, "I've paid my money now entertain me", it's almost like the difference between students, some go to learn, discuss, and develop, others feel that for their money they should get a certificate in exchange

I agree with this. I also agree with what wiskey's said in the past about the old spirit of create your own vibe and entertainment -- the old mad DIY spirit has declined for sure.

But as aqua hints, there are STILL plenty of people going with ideas and creativity. Not all old schoolers by any means either.

I speak as someone who crosses the boundaries, I've been going for years, but have never often really got off my arse to actually do stuff, just joined in with various other scenes when I can. I was never simply a passive consumer thiough -- talking, chatting, asking questions, listening, learning, wandering, exploring, mixing with as many different types as possible, is still a lot of what Glastobnbury is about for me.

I expect there were plenty of similarly reticent people needing a bit of encouragement to emerge from their shell back in the old days as well.

As I say to my brother, a professional standard musician, if it wasn't for the non performers, you'd have no audience! And he just plays pubs, parties, weddings, club tent at Cambridge, etc. ...

Probably :D

Maybe it was 95, was there a festival in 95? I was in my last year at school that's all I can remember :p

WAsn't 97 because Radiohead played in 97.

Must have been 95.

Fuck am old :(

I remember a wearing a tshirt jumping over the fence a big ball crushing tents

ellastica, masive attack on shrooms pulp, and bits of the verve :)

firky said:
1996.. best one for me - too young to go further back :(

Good post guys (Firky, stand in the corner and feel the shame;) )

Valid points everyone, but for those wanting more...participation....save your cash, stop winging and go to Burning Man. Now there is a festival. But even there, those who were there in the early days are bitching 'it's not as good as it used to be!'
Well, surprise, surprise, nothing is as good as it used to be. Things change, people change, that's the nature of evolution.....
Despite everything (and that includes this long time festie goer having half his entire stash stolen by over zealous security before I'd even entered the site this year) Glasto remains the flagship, the benchmark, the industry standard. If it wasnt for Glasto, there would be NO other smaller festies. Maybe it's up to the old timers :)rolleyes: ) like me and Will to keep the faith, fly the flag and keep the last weekend in June free. For us, Glasto is like your first trip, the day you lost your virginity and your favourite old moth-eaten jumper that you refuse to throw out rolled into one. Yes, there are better festies...but the combination of history, nostalgia and the finest festival site in the world will keep us optimistic and keep us going back, year after year;)

Back
Top Bottom