Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Gammon is not racist

What if an Inuit child called an Australian First Nation child a wanker in class and then the Australian First Nation child’s mum (adopted) who was Han Chinese went round to the Korean teacher of the class where it happened and called them a knob, so the teacher went to the mum’s best friend, who, strangely enough, was the teacher’s neighbor and happened to be Native Canadian and said they were a cunt.

Would that be racist?

What if an Inuit child called an Australian First Nation child a wanker in class and then the Australian First Nation child’s mum (adopted) who was Han Chinese went round to the Korean teacher of the class where it happened and called them a knob, so the teacher went to the mum’s best friend, who, strangely enough, was the teacher’s neighbor and happened to be Native Canadian and said they were a cunt.

Would that be racist?

:D

So, if:

1: You can’t be racist against white people.

2: A very large proportion of French people are white.

Then:

Is it OK for us to hate the French again?

So, if:

1: You can’t be racist against white people.

2: A very large proportion of French people are white.

Then:

Is it OK for us to hate the French again?

Of course, it's all part of the 'love-hate relationship'.

We love to hate them, they hate to love us.

Reference to skin colour or ethnicity in an attempt to infer characterisation or demonisation based on such is racism. It doesn’t ‘appear to be that’ or ‘look like that’, it is. That is not to take anything away from the power dynamic that is hugely important in looking at the history of white colonialism and political superiority of white people over PoC, nor is it to detract from the incidences of simple prejudice against PoC against which the racism suffered by white people pales (see what I did there?) into insignificance. But, to repeat myself, reference to skin colour or ethnicity, in an attempt to infer characterisation or demonisation based on such, is racism.

And, btw, gammon is simply a shit term. Call a cunt a cunt ffs. Some real liberal shit going on in this thread.

On a historical note, my recollection is that everybody used to say 'racially prejudiced' and then the word 'racist' became more popular. If there has been some change in the meaning and so there is a difference then I think the one of power imbalance is it. But lots of people use both terms in much the same way.

Which are the lazy generalisations that I hear every other day about Brits?

An african-american person I know well (not a friend but someone I have to work with) during a disagreement about something unrelated to ethnicity, rolls their eyes, looks me up and down, suck their teeth and mutters, ''Fucking white people...''

Not as a joke, in all seriousness.

Not racist? Just racially prejudiced? Not a hate crime, just hate?

Dunno, but can I pitch the Mini Series?

An african-american person I know well (not a friend but someone I have to work with) during a disagreement about something unrelated to ethnicity, rolls their eyes, looks me up and down, suck their teeth and mutters, ''Fucking white people...''

I think I know him. He’s usually right on that score tbf.

Not as a joke, in all seriousness.

Not racist? Just racially prejudiced? Not a hate crime, just hate?
Liked, not least for avoiding the term 'co-worker'. :thumbs:

Back
Top Bottom