Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

For Badgers: Liverpool FC 22/23

Argumentum ad absurdio, or whatever it's called

The referee can obviously move wherever he likes. I saw an interview with a retired ref recently who said rather than insist a player come to him he asked them to meet him at a point where both he and player had to move to so nobody lost face or got into a "C'mere!"/"No, fuck off" argument. Thought that was quite clever.

I don't know why players seem to think they can abuse the officials with no consequences.

Well it's because in general they can isn't it.

Agree this is pretty standard behaviour - there's really no point pointing fingers at particular clubs or players for it. It should be simple to sort out really - instruct the refs to start issuing cards and players will soon stop.

Argumentum ad absurdio, or whatever it's called

The referee can obviously move wherever he likes. I saw an interview with a retired ref recently who said rather than insist a player come to him he asked them to meet him at a point where both he and player had to move to so nobody lost face or got into a "C'mere!"/"No, fuck off" argument. Thought that was quite clever.
This is one of those strawman arguments where you oppose something no one has said, like no one has said the ref can't move where he likes.

This is one of those strawman arguments where you oppose something no one has said, like no one has said the ref can't move where he likes.
No, but you said a player might be contravening a proximity rule by being injured on the floor, which doesn't credit the ref with any intelligence. No official would book anyone for that.

No, but you said a player might be contravening a proximity rule by being injured on the floor, which doesn't credit the ref with any intelligence. No official would book anyone for that.
I would like to see the grounds for your certainty here. You seem unduly persuaded of this, it's like you've never watched reffing in eg the Scottish premiership where certain biases emerge

Well it's because in general they can isn't it.

Agree this is pretty standard behaviour - there's really no point pointing fingers at particular clubs or players for it. It should be simple to sort out really - instruct the refs to start issuing cards and players will soon stop.
Something like time wasting is a difficult one to wipe out with any kind of edict. Players will push whatever rules are put in place and can find all kinds of ways of 'doing it a bit' without getting booked. But as you say, yapping at the refs, pursuing them, even intimidating them would be easy to banish. Is this about the weakness of the refereeing bodies vis a vis the FA/Prem League etc? The clubs certainly have no incentive to control their players at the moment. Is it worse/better abroad (dunno, don't watch much overseas football)? Women's football seems loads better.

One that really gets me is when a decision is referred to VAR and the players spend the intervening 90 seconds chasing the ref round. Ironic really, as the decision is largely out of the ref's hands at that point.

A classic of the genre, particularly in light of Roy Keane's comments about Robertson being a big 'big baby':

Must have been around 2000, as Stam was in the team.

Edit: it was apparently against Middlesbrough when the ref gave Boro a pen. Whether United got fined for this is beyond my googling skills patience.

... Edit: Keane apparently got a booking for dissent later in the game, but nothing was given for the shitshow above.

Last edited:
Even though I have a healthy dislike for Dirteh Leeds that was one game I was hoping we might slip up at last night.

A classic of the genre, particularly in light of Roy Keane's comments about Robertson being a big 'big baby':

Must have been around 2000, as Stam was in the team.

Edit: it was apparently against Middlesbrough when the ref gave Boro a pen. Whether United got fined for this is beyond my googling skills patience.

... Edit: Keane apparently got a booking for dissent later in the game, but nothing was given for the shitshow above.

Yeah - I was at that game.
It was the first penalty awarded to an away side at Old Trafford for 7 years in the league!
After all that the spot kick was saved and United went on to win the match.
I don't think that the club were fined.
The referee Andy D'Urso didn't even mention it in his report.....!

Anyone else see us winning all the forthcoming games? I still dream of top 4 but top 5 might have to do.

Thrashing tottenham into sixth would feel especially good.... :cool:

Anyone else see us winning all the forthcoming games? I still dream of top 4 but top 5 might have to do.

Thrashing tottenham into sixth would feel especially good.... :cool:
I wouldn't bet my house on it if I'm honest. We're just too unpredictable at the moment, or as it seems, too predictable in our approach to some teams. I certainly wasn't surprised that City tanked us the way we've been playing.

Who knows. At least the goals are going in and the season is ending with a bit of drama.

With the run in the way it is, in any other season, I'd have said its nailed on - especially as the lion share is against 'lesser' teams at Anfield - but this season is wild, so I can see Liverpool getting all 24 points, but equally getting 4.

You know it’s true tho! As does every honest Liverpool fan!

We barely got a penalty this season until Klopp pointed out it was a ridiculous stat. Van Dijk and Thiago being hobbled and ruined by Everton nomarks? Nah get in your shed. And bring your dinner you muppet.

Back
Top Bottom