Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Feminism and violence again women

Zara Aleena: Family pay tribute after 'unimaginable' death

_125685356_hi076994177.jpg

Zara Aleena was the 16th woman in London and the 52nd woman in the UK to be killed by a man in 2022.

FWaPT6LXgAYS7EP

FWZsf1kXwAAhcIX

FWZsf1pWAAAUUEb

FWZsf1pXoAA8LDU

Why isn’t Zara Aleena’s name on everyone’s lips?

‘She had no fear’: friends and family to tread last walk of Zara Aleena

FWp3j6sWQAQO1nR

The meeting place for the silent march is opposite Cranbrook Rise, IG1, on Cranbrook Road at 1.30 p.m. The silent march will begin walking at 2.17 p.m. to finish Zara's journey home to Gants Hill.

A large attendance is anticipated for the march, and significant traffic delays are expected. Buses along the route will also be diverted to aid the walk

With that in mind, those who plan to join the Silent March are strongly encouraged to travel by public transport. Gants Hill Underground Station and Ilford Station are within proximity to the starting location of the march.

If people plan to travel by car, they are advised to use Ley Street multi-storey car park.

FWZsf1kXwAAhcIX

FWZsf1pWAAAUUEb

FWZsf1pXoAA8LDU

FWp3j6sWQAQO1nR

The meeting place for the silent march is opposite Cranbrook Rise, IG1, on Cranbrook Road at 1.30 p.m. The silent march will begin walking at 2.17 p.m. to finish Zara's journey home to Gants Hill.

A large attendance is anticipated for the march, and significant traffic delays are expected. Buses along the route will also be diverted to aid the walk

With that in mind, those who plan to join the Silent March are strongly encouraged to travel by public transport. Gants Hill Underground Station and Ilford Station are within proximity to the starting location of the march.

If people plan to travel by car, they are advised to use Ley Street multi-storey car park.
This really is not the thread for you to broadcast copy and paste posts on.

FWZsf1kXwAAhcIX

FWZsf1pWAAAUUEb

FWZsf1pXoAA8LDU

FWp3j6sWQAQO1nR

You'd say it better if you just said there's a march and vigil for zara and the details are here <link> instead of posting an acre of pastage. But you know that already

FWZsf1kXwAAhcIX

FWZsf1pWAAAUUEb

FWZsf1pXoAA8LDU

FWp3j6sWQAQO1nR

I appreciate reading the whole thing. Thank you.

Was just looking for that quote from Margaret Atwood as it seemed relevant:

"Why do men feel threatened by women?" I asked a male friend of mine. So this male friend of mine, who does by the way exist, conveniently entered into the following dialogue. "I mean," I said, "men are bigger, most of the time, they can run faster, strangle better, and they have on the average a lot more money and power." "They're afraid women will laugh at them," he said. "Undercut their world view." Then I asked some women students in a quickie poetry seminar I was giving, "Why do women feel threatened by men?" "They're afraid of being killed," they said."

What I typed into the search was "men are afraid laugh women scared kill us."

Of the results that came up, the third highest - after suggested videos - was a link* to an incel website.

It's concerning that it's one of the top results for a quote about women's fear by a famous female author.

*Didn't click on it obviously, but what I could see was, after a version of the quote:
Well, there are things worse than death. And if you are so scared, ladies, carry a gun with you. I don't mind. It's offensive. The mere fact that women...

They even resent us speaking about our fucking fear.

Putting this here.
It’s a young woman who has been murdered because she didn’t want to have sex, and I think it’s also the deepest fear that we feel when saying no.

Poor Lily. It's a poor reflection on this world that my reaction to this was "Thank God the worst that's happened to me when rejecting a man is being accused of lying about my asexuality." How fucked up is it when we're glad about that.

I’m always saying how extremely lucky I’ve been over the years in this way, yeah, like not having been attacked is a bit like winning the lottery, properly sad.
I've been sexually assaulted before, although not for rejecting the guy. I reported it but was made to feel like I was making a fuss because it was "just" my tit being groped and I'd sent him packing with a punch to his nose. I think because I didn't feel scared of him and managed to defend myself, even now there's part of me that wonders if I've even got the right to call it assault. But it's still wrong to grope somebody without consent, and the cop I reported it to couldn't seem to understand that these things often start off with something "minor" and escalate to bigger things. That's why I reported it, hoping to stop the same thing happening to someone who might not feel as confident in dealing with him. But as far as I know he's never been caught.

LeytonCatLady, you were perfectly correct to report it, you were correct to call it assault and the police officer was, unfortunately, just part of the misogynistic machine. Nobody has the right to touch someone against their will, these things can and do escalate and you were perfectly correct in your actions.

How are you now, if it isn't too intrusive to ask ?

LeytonCatLady, you were perfectly correct to report it, you were correct to call it assault and the police officer was, unfortunately, just part of the misogynistic machine. Nobody has the right to touch someone against their will, these things can and do escalate and you were perfectly correct in your actions.

How are you now, if it isn't too intrusive to ask ?
Oh, I'm fine in myself, thanks for asking. I know I didn't deserve what happened to me and I refuse to let things like that put me off going out.

It was three years ago but I was reminded of it recently when I was visiting family and we were discussing the issue of violence against women. One of my relatives whom I'd always thought was quite broad minded said: "I know there's no excuse for rape but when you see some of these young girls with everything on show..." I pointed out that I'd been sexually assaulted in the past and I didn't have "everything on show" and even if I did, rape has nothing to do with sex. It's about control and a sick bastard on a power trip, and we need to stop treating rape as lust gone too far, because it's not!

Putting this here.
It’s a young woman who has been murdered because she didn’t want to have sex, and I think it’s also the deepest fear that we feel when saying no.

And another. :(😡

'Judge Simon Drew QC told Weldeyohannes: "When you confronted her and declared your love for her, she politely but firmly rebuffed you.

"As a result you lost your temper with her and eventually attacked and killed her."'

Yeah, what a bizarre statement to make. We are all human first. Why wouldn't it apply to male police? Just highlights how fucked we are, imo.
Not bizarre at all - considering the violent misogyny shared by the met police as revealled in the Sarah Everade case last year, this needs to be directed at male police as much as any other men. More so - considering we are supposed to trust those officers.

Yes we are fucked.

• Sad
Reactions: bmd
Not bizarre at all - considering the violent misogyny shared by the met police as revealled in the Sarah Everade case last year, this needs to be directed at male police as much as any other men. More so - considering we are supposed to trust those officers.

Yes we are fucked.
It's baffling that we have finally arrived at the place where any policeman who is caught being misogynistic will be sacked. What was the confusion about? That the policemen who are charged with keeping us safe should be allowed some wiggle room because the job isn't easy? That it's no biggie if they share photos of murdered women amongst themselves? How can anyone possibly feel safe with the police force when they harbour these criminals because they work with them? It reminds me of the sexual abuse cover ups by religious organisations.

Last edited:
It's baffling that we have finally arrived at the place where any policeman who is caught being mysogynistic will be sacked. What was the confusion about? That the policemen who are charged with keeping us safe should be allowed some wiggle room because the job isn't easy? That it's no biggie if they share photos of murdered women amongst themselves? How can anyone possibly feel safe with the police force when they harbour these criminals because they work with them? It reminds me of the sexual abuse cover ups by religious organisations.
What's being misogynistic anyway? Maybe it's just a woman who can't take a joke/one of those feminists who hates men? Probably a lesbian anyway so what're you going to do? 🤷‍♂️

What's being misogynistic anyway? Maybe it's just a woman who can't take a joke/one of those feminists who hates men? Probably a lesbian anyway so what're you going to do? 🤷‍♂️
Yeah , the cry of the abuser. I was joking! Where's your sense of humour?

It's baffling that we have finally arrived at the place where any policeman who is caught being misogynistic will be sacked. What was the confusion about? That the policemen who are charged with keeping us safe should be allowed some wiggle room because the job isn't easy? That it's no biggie if they share photos of murdered women amongst themselves? How can anyone possibly feel safe with the police force when they harbour these criminals because they work with them? It reminds me of the sexual abuse cover ups by religious organisations.

Have we finally arrived there? Don't think I'll trust them ever.

It's no so much that the police 'harbour criminals' it's that ordinary men who probably don't consider themselves misogynistic, who think that it's ok to talk, act, post in sexist ways so obliviously, that allows misogyny to be so ingrained in the laddish police culture that they can't even spot a rapist in their own ranks.

Every woman I know knows an abuser , a harasser or a rapist or has been abused, harassed or raped. Very few men I meet admit to knowing any abusers. They simply don't see it. And women must be exaggerating, making it up, be overly sensitive etc etc.

Rapists and murderers are ordinary men not necessarily extra ordinary ones. No doubt a load of posters will be along to tell me not all men etc. Not all women etc.

Have we finally arrived there? Don't think I'll trust them ever.

It's no so much that the police 'harbour criminals' it's that ordinary men who probably don't consider themselves misogynistic, who think that it's ok to talk, act, post in sexist ways so obliviously, that allows misogyny to be so ingrained in the laddish police culture that they can't even spot a rapist in their own ranks.

Every woman I know knows an abuser , a harasser or a rapist or has been abused, harassed or raped. Very few men I meet admit to knowing any abusers. They simply don't see it. And women must be exaggerating, making it up, be overly sensitive etc etc.

Rapists and murderers are ordinary men not necessarily extra ordinary ones. No doubt a load of posters will be along to tell me not all men etc. Not all women etc.
Yes, exactly! And what doesn't help is this "real men don't [X, Y or Z]." Like the ones who do that are some kind of thuggish stereotype or a sinister creep lurking somewhere else. Who'd be mates with someone like that? "If I knew someone like that I'd..." :rolleyes: Whereas so many women strangely enough do encounter them.

Back
Top Bottom