Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Far-right response to Southport Outrage And Ongoing Violent Disorder

How likely is that to happen?

Well they are jockeying Trump this time who is falling apart like a melting waxwork and by all accounts it was the techbros who foisted JD Vance on Trump.

As to their horrid vision of a tech feudalist dystopia where they are the gods, some might argue it's not all that far away. Certainly it's clear that the sort of functioning democracy where vulnerable people could expect some kind of support and empathy that many of us born in the 60s and 70s grew up with as normality, has fallen to bits, and it will have to be fought for and built all over again.

Just got back from Stockport (actual real Stockport, not a typo for Southport). Spent a few alternately boring/stressful hours stood outside a hotel, few small groups of fash, some of them very young, had been sort of milling about at a distance but they weren't up to trying anything serious while we were there. The hotel manager was glad we were there but decided it'd be best if we went at 9, we had a lengthy frustrating meeting to decide whether to stay longer or not and then dispersed when the cops started moving us on, the process of dispersing was a bit of a stressful one but all seemed to go smoothly enough in the end. And got a lift home from an ex-workmate who'd got a new job and I'd not seen in a while, which was nice.

Earlier this afternoon I got to catch up with my friend who'd stayed out around the city centre for a lot longer than I did yesterday, he was saying that at some points there were about 10-15 antifascists trying to protect some Muslim girls from a few hundred of the far right, and that he'd actually met the bloke from that video and got to check he was alright and share some useful resources with him. He did also mention stuff like a fascist calling him a faggot and threatening to slit his throat, which he described as "impressive gaydar but a bit mean". Sounds like the (black) Jesus preachers in town had been getting a lot of hassle yesterday as well.

Over and over again the BBC people are going out of their way to say how we mustn't discredit the whole idea of 'protesting against immigration' just because of these few isolated incidents.

Footage of all the dignified, respectful anti-immigration protests is still mysteriously absent.
Tbf, there will have been internal communications/guidelines sent from top brass on how to refer to the people at the scenes.

Individuals may not necessarily agree with the guidelines.

Just got back from Stockport (actual real Stockport, not a typo for Southport). Spent a few alternately boring/stressful hours stood outside a hotel, few small groups of fash, some of them very young, had been sort of milling about at a distance but they weren't up to trying anything serious while we were there. The hotel manager was glad we were there but decided it'd be best if we went at 9, we had a lengthy frustrating meeting to decide whether to stay longer or not and then dispersed when the cops started moving us on, the process of dispersing was a bit of a stressful one but all seemed to go smoothly enough in the end. And got a lift home from an ex-workmate who'd got a new job and I'd not seen in a while, which was nice.

Earlier this afternoon I got to catch up with my friend who'd stayed out around the city centre for a lot longer than I did yesterday, he was saying that at some points there were about 10-15 antifascists trying to protect some Muslim girls from a few hundred of the far right, and that he'd actually met the bloke from that video and got to check he was alright and share some useful resources with him. He did also mention stuff like a fascist calling him a faggot and threatening to slit his throat, which he described as "impressive gaydar but a bit mean". Sounds like the (black) Jesus preachers in town had been getting a lot of hassle yesterday as well.
Like a few other urbs, nice one for putting yourself out there. And it's not just about minutes of scrapping, it's the hours of graft that need doing.

It's really upsetting and depressing to see the vitriol and loathing from the fash. It may be down to communities to bring about change and positivity, because Starmer and co seem ineffectual and afraid to rock the boat.

Twitter needs taking down a few levels for sure, for the role it's played in promoting the far right.

Check out their Labour MP...

alt text spoilered below

Iris Duane 🍉 @iris_frs
This was 5 days ago. That hotel has now been attacked. This is what enables the far right.

Sarah Edwards for Tamworth [at]SarahEdwardsTam Jul 3
This is not the first time I have raised in the chamber that residents of Tamworth
want their hotel back. I will work closely with the new Government and Home
Secretary to end the use of the Holiday Inn for asylum purposes.

nitter link

Anyone still think the Labour Party are left wing?

This is the kind of thing that doesn't make the news but is utterly devastating

(Liverpool btw)

GUKLsvaWQAALF-p

It's really upsetting and depressing to see the vitriol and loathing from the fash. It may be down to communities to bring about change and positivity, because Starmer and co seem ineffectual and afraid to rock the boat.

Twitter needs taking down a few levels for sure, for the role it's played in promoting the far right.
A Tory government is like having a continual trumpet with a toff blowharding through it into your ear, whilst wearing silly trousers they've been wearing since their public school days, 24/7. It's a comical image but it's also polonium to the health of society, which they admit they are opposed to. Any positivity for the working class on any level is constantly scoffed at and abused and dragged to their destructive trough-feeding agenda. But people are so quick to forget it all when we get a break. As you would like to with a nightmare.

Our local (Canadian) news just did a bit on the riots, At the beginning, the mobs were called protesters, but by the end they were called rioters.

Hubby has spent the day listening to me read portions of this thread, so he is yelling at the telly, "Call them what they are - TERRORISTS!!!.

:D

A Tory government is like having a continual trumpet with a toff blowharding through it into your ear, whilst wearing silly trousers they've been wearing since their public school days, 24/7. It's a comical image but it's also polonium to the health of society, which they admit they are opposed to. Any positivity for the working class on any level is constantly scoffed at and abused and dragged to their destructive trough-feeding agenda. But people are so quick to forget it all when we get a break. As you would like to with a nightmare.
Tbf, all your governments seem to merge into one massive disappointment, year after year. Don't see the Starmer version being that much different from the multiple Tory ones...

Starmer could come out and denounce the far right, once and for all. Don't give them even a hint of legitimacy.

Pretty sure Corbyn would have.

Back
Top Bottom