Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Far-right response to Southport Outrage And Ongoing Violent Disorder

No more than a few thousand so far and a chunk of them I doubt are politically involved. Worse to come i think but they're a tiny minority and will be even smaller when the arrests start racking up.
"About 150 people carrying St George’s flags shouted “you’re not English any more” and “paedo Muslims off our street” outside the city’s central library and art gallery."

"About 150 people carrying St George’s flags shouted “you’re not English any more” and “paedo Muslims off our street” outside the city’s central library and art gallery."

150 prepared to go to great length.
150 whose concerns will be amplified by useless politicians across the spectrum.

150 shouldn't be getting the media attention they are getting, but here we are.

Cable Street was in 1936 and is completely irrelevant to the current public order situation when an overstretched police service is doing its best to protect minorities from violent racists. Presenting them with another lot of agitators to deal with, who are spoiling for a fight so they can cosplay antifascist street battles of yore, is quite spectacularly unhelpful.
Coming back to this given recent events.

Also ElizabethofYork

It strikes me that in the cases where no counter-demonstration has turned out (Hartlepool, Sunderland, Southport) the level of violence has been markedly worse than in cases where a counter-demonstration did appear in greater numbers (Leeds and Liverpool) no such violence occurred.

Coming back to this given recent events.

It strikes me that in the cases where no counter-demonstration has turned out (Hartlepool, Sunderland, Southport) the level of violence has been markedly worse than in cases where a counter-demonstration did appear in greater numbers (Leeds and Liverpool) no such violence occurred.

Belfast and Manchester seem to be slightly different situations again. Let’s see.

In the light of the recent 'Just Stop Oil' prison sentences handed out I wonder what would be an appropriate punishment for the present rioters.

Any ideas?

No idea but i wouldn't be surpised by a substantial juridical discrepancy between disgruntled citizens causing a bit of havoc for understandable reasons and climate terrorism bringing rush hour to a halt.

What worried me about the Hartlepool riot was that all the initial arrests were local people I.e. not bussed in fash activists. That's the worrying bit, the idea that a wide range of places might have a core of people ready to heed the call.
A local pogrom for local people.

I don't know the population of Hartlepool, but 11 isn't very many. In any fracas there is a tendency to blame those from outside rather than accept the reality. It's always them, not us.

Deport them to the deepest part of the oceans and say to them if you can swim home your getting ten years if you get back.

Belfast and Manchester seem to be slightly different situations again. Let’s see.
In Belfast it seems to be between the Fash and pals versus the anti-fash. Surely even from your hands off position that's better than the fash attacking people just going about their business and burning down stuff that makes a huge difference to people's lives. If I went along to confront the fash I (and I'm sure plenty of others) would understand the risk of a kicking or a firework to the face unlike people just trying to go about their day.

In Belfast it seems to be between the Fash and pals versus the anti-fash. Surely even from your hands off position that's better than the fash attacking people just going about their business and burning down stuff that makes a huge difference to people's lives. If I went along to confront the fash I (and I'm sure plenty of others) would understand the risk of a kicking or a firework to the face unlike people just trying to go about their day.

Yes, in a forced choice where police are absent from the equation, hard to disagree.

But the ruck you describe is probably just as scary for anyone in Belfast who is out shopping on a Saturday. What are the police up to?

The antifascists who outnumbered the fash left the area and the trouble is actually between the fash and the police. I've a friend who is on the SUTR who has tweeted what happened
Yep, if you follow the live MEN thread by Chris Slater, it's doing a good job of explaining the streets that have been used, where the corals are, how the police are redirecting, etc..

I can't get to the M&S Food hall because it's in the oh-shit no-go zone. Do they even realise the impact??

1000006160.jpg

Yep, if you follow the live MEN thread by Chris Slater, it's doing a good job of explaining the streets that have been used, where the corals are, how the police are redirecting, etc..

I can't get to the M&S Food hall because it's in the oh-shit no-go zone. Do they even realise the impact??

View attachment 436369
Fwp >>>>>

Yes, in a forced choice where police are absent from the equation, hard to disagree.

But the ruck you describe is probably just as scary for anyone in Belfast who is out shopping on a Saturday. What are the police up to?
I imagine it is scary. As I said above to ElizabethofYork there will be violence with anti-fash there or not and I'd add fear to that. But if that violence is minimised or targeted against people willing and hopefully ready to at least defend themselves then that's got to be a less bad option.

I don't know what the police are upto in Belfast I was just going off the Guardian live reporting thing. I'm going to get off the phone for a bit but will look later.

Not only are people opposing racists and fascists in their communities which also helps set and reinforces norms of behaviour, they are also cleaning up the areas after the far right riots. Big up civil society.

Not only are people opposing racists and fascists in their communities which also helps set and reinforces norms of behaviour, they are also cleaning up the areas after the far right riots. Big up civil society.

What makes you think they are the same people? I’m sure there’s a crossover, but the clean ups seem very local and apolitical.

Back
Top Bottom