Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

Far-right response to Southport Outrage And Ongoing Violent Disorder

I thought I saw briefly on the news that there's going to be a rally in Westminster on Saturday, politicians and police calling for calm and tolerance (wry laugh).
I haven't googled about it tbh because I'm dealing with various other things in my life atm.

I thought I saw briefly on the news that there's going to be a rally in Westminster on Saturday, politicians and police calling for calm and tolerance (wry laugh).
I haven't googled about it tbh because I'm dealing with various other things in my life atm.
I logged out of most my social media accounts (not Facebook and X as I don't use them anyway) on Sunday which was good timing really.

Someone on my local NextDoor - which is usually non-political and very useful for practical things - someone posted that there was a demo at Westminster regarding the Southport killings. There were hardly any responses except a couple saying "those poor kids." None in favour of the "demo."

Then some twat said "maybe it was in response to all the children being killed in Palestine." And so it kicked off briefly before being taken down.

So even some fucking bastard on "the left" is assuming the killer was Muslim and trying to stir shit.

My local church has pictures of the young victims next to one of the remembrance candle mounts, so you can light a candle and say a prayer. Now, there's a place most people could offer their respects if they wanted to, especially the "I want my country back" types. Not as much fun as looting shops though, is it?

I logged out of most my social media accounts (not Facebook and X as I don't use them anyway) on Sunday which was good timing really.
I should add that the reason I haven't looked it up is because I am not very physically active due to disability and cannot feasibly go along to join an anti-fascist counter-protest, and I don't think googling to look up details is helpful if I can't do a lot about it, just feels like inviting the fuckers into my home iykwim. :(

I don't think I've been very aware of quite so many anti-fascist demos in recent years. Have they just been under the radar, or are they a spontaneous reaction to recent events?

Very much agree. Often sheer numbers haven't mattered (remember the anti Brexit and anti Iraq war ones...) in the eyes of politicians. Hopefully things might be different this time. But I'll not be holding my breath.

I don't think I've been very aware of quite so many anti-fascist demos in recent years. Have they just been under the radar, or are they a spontaneous reaction to recent events?
I think they tend to come and go in response to the level of far-right activity, and this weekend seems likely to be busier than anything for some time. But there have been similar peaks before - the aftermath of the Lee Rigby murder is a big one that comes to mind, and think there were similar, but smaller, bumps when there were things like the attempt to piggyback off Knowsley, the moral panic around drag queen story time and so on.

I think they tend to come and go in response to the level of far-right activity, and this weekend seems likely to be busier than anything for some time. But there have been similar peaks before - the aftermath of the Lee Rigby murder is a big one that comes to mind, and think there were similar, but smaller, bumps when there were things like the attempt to piggyback off Knowsley, the moral panic around drag queen story time and so on.
I guess that by their very nature they have to be reactive... I remember Rock Against Racism and the Anti Nazi League being a reaction to the rise of the NF in the 70s...

If it was to do with Palestine, why attack a Taylor Swift-themed event? She has nothing to do with Israel or Palestine. What a stupid comment.
Yes, if we were getting into wild speculation, something incel-ish would be top of my list, even though I get the I.pression they are usually white. I won't promote such an idea because it's pointless at this stage. However if that were the case it would be a bit uncomfortable for the right.

Back
Top Bottom