Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2023

Well, howdy y'all. Time for some rootin', tootin', all-Murkin action round a Texas suburb which, for some unaccountable reason, is named after my mate, Austin.

It's at the modestly-monikered Circuit Of The Americas. I imagine they must have permission from Canada, Mexico and All Points South to represent their respective continents. Somehow, I can't imagine Silverstone, say, dubbing its track The Circuit Of The Europes... at least not since 2016 :p.

Anyhow, this weekend will have all the sprints, all the qualifyings and all the racings you'd expect in Liberty Media's back yard. And being Murka, naturally there'll be a shootout. (The name of the school tba... )

UK telly times will be:

Fri 20 Oct
FP1 - 18:30
Qual - 22:00

Sat 21 Oct
Shootout - 18:30
Sprint - 23:00

Sun 22 Oct
Race - 20:00

Be sure to serve snacks with your eventide Ovaltine or Horlicks.

Interesting little chat here from someone that knew Lewis as a young man. Nothing huge but some background.

I have bluesky codes if anyone desires to join.

Mercedes share details of new upgrade​

Mercedes hope that the introduction of a new floor upgrade at the upcoming F1 United States Grand Prix will indicate they are “on the right track”. While work is advanced on Mercedes’ 2024 challenger as the team focuses their efforts on closing the gap to Red Bull over the winter, development on the W14 has not completely stopped. Mercedes will bring a new floor to this weekend’s US GP at Austin, but the upgrade’s importance goes beyond immediate performance gains. “Hopefully it will give us a bit of lap time,” Mercedes technical director James Allison said at the Qatar Grand Prix. “That’s always a benefit. But it is mostly a useful thing because it’s a bellwether for whether we’re on the right track. In lap time terms, it will be small. Useful, but don’t expect us to have leapt past Max [Verstappen].”

Mercedes’ 2022 and 2023 campaigns have been hampered by their troubled and inconsistent W13 and W14 cars, prompting a fundamental design change for next season. Allison said Mercedes now have a “very clear idea of what we need to put right”. “I think that much of what ails us now is reasonably well-understood and we’re working to fix that,” he explained. “I feel like all of us got a pretty clear-sighted view of what we want to do with the car. This championship, while we haven’t made the really impressive progress that McLaren have, we have nevertheless been charting a path through the season that gives us a very clear idea of what we need to put right. So that makes the next years fun, very exciting to look forward to, and actually this period of the year extremely enjoyable."

Alpine: Rory McIlroy and Anthony Joshua invest in Formula 1 team​

Golfer Rory McIlroy and boxer Anthony Joshua are among the sports stars to join a group that has invested in the Alpine Formula 1 team. Liverpool and England footballer Trent Alexander-Arnold and NFL star Patrick Mahomes have also joined up with Otro Capital, which owns 24% of Alpine. Otro invested in the team in June, along with RedBird Capital and actors Ryan Reynolds and Rob McElhenney. Their purchase of a 24% stake valued the Renault-owned team at about £706m. The hope is the involvement of further star names will raise awareness of Alpine across global sport and increase its fanbase.

Northern Irishman McIlroy, ranked the world's number two golfer, said in a statement: "Passion for excellence on the golf course has led me to admire the same pursuit in Formula 1. Partnering with Otro Capital in Alpine F1 is an exhilarating venture that unites my love for sports, competition, and the relentless drive to be the best." Two-time unified world heavyweight boxing champion Joshua said: "The chance to strategically invest with Otro Capital in Alpine was an opportunity I couldn't ignore. The heritage of the team, mixed with the global growth of Formula 1 as a sport and brand made this a very serious proposition."

Alpine, who finished fourth in the world championship last year, have had a disappointing 2023, and are sixth of 10 teams in the constructors' standings with five races remaining this year, starting with this weekend's US Grand Prix in Austin, Texas. A matter of weeks after the investment by Otro and RedBird, Alpine sacked chief executive officer Laurent Rossi, team principal Otmar Szafnauer and long-standing sporting director Alan Permane. Rossi oversaw the team's decline in fortunes this season, as well as in the summer of 2022, losing not only two-time world champion Fernando Alonso but also Alpine's promising protege Oscar Piastri to rival teams.

Alonso, who moved to Aston Martin, is fourth in the drivers' championship after scoring seven podiums in 17 grands prix so far this year. Australian Piastri has been a standout rookie following his switch to McLaren, scored podiums in the past two races in Japan and Qatar, and took pole position for the Qatar sprint race. Alpine drivers Pierre Gasly and Esteban Ocon have scored one podium each this season.

Vowles ‘counting down the days’ to Fry’s arrival at Williams​

Williams team boss James Vowles admits that the team’s future Chief Technical Officer Pat Fry can’t arrive soon enough in Grove. Incredibly, Williams has been without a genuine CTO since early 2019, when Paddy Lowe left the British outfit in the wake of a catastrophic winter that led to a costly delay in the development of the team's FW42 car. In March 2021, as new shareholder Dorilton Capital set about on rebuilding Williams, former Volkswagen technical director FX Demaison was put in charge of the F1 team’s tech department. But the Frenchman’s tenure – and that of his colleague, former Williams team principal Jost Capito – only lasted until the end of 2022.

When Vowles joined Williams at the start of this year, the Briton - who built his impeccable credentials in F1 during his 13-year residency at Brackley, working for Brawn GP and then Mercedes - began earmarking potential candidates for the role of Chief Technical Officer at Williams. However, from the outset he made clear that he would take his time to identify and hire the right candidate for the job. Preliminary discussions with Fry - then Alpine's CTO - led to the latter announcing his departure from Enstone and move to Williams just before the Belgian Grand Prix weekend at the end of July. On November 1, Fry will assume his position at Williams, much to Vowles’ relief. But the veteran engineer's impact is unlikely to trickle down to the track until 2025.

“Definitely counting down the days [to Fry’s arrival],” Vowles said in Qatar recently. “As much as I have tried my best, I need someone who is far better than me in that role. We’ve brought together a really good group of individuals at Williams, and we are working together. In part, I have sadness because I have to start letting go of that side of things. With 2024 though, the dye is pretty much set in the direction of travel. This chassis will already, by the time he comes through the door, be most of the way produced. It has to be. That’s what the timelines are for these things. The aero package again will be most of the way through development, even though it’s going to be for next year. But the impact – and I’ve said it all along, I’m not interested in short term, I’m interested in the long term – so he will already in the 2024 season have a positive effect but that real effect will kick in in '25, '26, [2027].”

Under Vowles leadership, Williams has acquitted itself well this season, with the team currently positioned seventh in F1’s Constructors’ standings, courtesy of Alex Albon’s talent and efforts. Queried on how his own tenure has unfolded during his maiden campaign at the helm of an F1 outfit, Vowles acknowledged that it has been a year of learning. “You don’t realise it until questions like this come up, where you think it’s nearly a year,” he said. “Good. I would say. It’s a role that obviously I had a lot to learn, and I still have a lot to learn, and I would be disappointed if you asked me a question and I say I haven’t learned something new this week. But I think it doesn’t take much looking from the outside to realise we are in a good direction of travel. The team has very much embraced me, I feel at home there. I felt at home there after just a few months. Which is, to name the extraordinary, to go into a completely new environment after 20 years elsewhere, but yet it feels like home, is a strong indication of how Williams is as an organisation. What I am more excited by, and I keep going to the long term, but it’s not the last nine months, I am really excited by a couple of years from now when it properly kicks into gear.”

Significant legal reversal has occurred in Brazil
A court in the country has overturned the EUR 900,000 fine imposed on triple world champion Nelson Piquet for alleged racist and homophobic comments directed at Lewis Hamilton. Piquet, whose daughter Kelly is in a relationship with fellow triple world champion Max Verstappen, found relief in the unanimous decision by the federal court of justice. The judge, Aiston Henrique de Sousa, emphasised that the use of colloquial language, even if inappropriate, did not carry sufficient gravity to establish “moral damages.” The supposedly homophobic aspects of Piquet’s comments were also dismissed, with the judge noting that such terms could have other connotations.

Nevertheless, social justice groups that brought the case against Piquet remain undeterred. In light of the court’s decision, they have expressed their intent to take the matter to the Supreme Court. An official from one such group, Educafro, reiterated their commitment to pursuing justice, asserting that prejudice and discrimination persist within Brazilian institutions.

Helmut Marko denies rumour of Red Bull F1 political ousting

Helmut Marko has hit back at “speculation” surrounding his future in F1 amid rumours of political unrest at Red Bull. Brazilian broadcaster Globo claimed that Marko could be ousted from his consultancy role with “tension” reportedly growing between him and Red Bull team principal Christian Horner over several matters. The same report suggested there was a crunch meeting scheduled for this week that would determine Marko’s future at Red Bull. But the 80-year-old Austrian has moved to deny the reports, insisting that only he will decide when he stops. “There is no summit this week,” Marko told Austrian outlet Oe24. “I have a contract until the end of next year. When and how I stop, when [it] is over, I decide and not, for example, Mr. Horner.”

Asked about the alleged power struggle between himself and Horner, Marko stated: “Through the new constellation [following the death of Dietrich Mateschitz] everything is different. People are trying to re-line the powers.” Pushed on further rumours, including that Yuki Tsunoda could be replaced at AlphaTauri despite holding a contract, Marko said: “These are all just speculations.”

Marko also denied that Red Bull have given Sergio Perez a performance ultimatum to keep his 2024 seat. According to Globo, Red Bull would look to trigger an early exit for Perez if the Mexican does not finish second in the drivers’ world championship. “Just like the one about Perez,” Marko continued. “There is no ultimatum to Perez. I think we win too much - incredible things are put into the world. One should appreciate the performance of Max Verstappen much more, it is extraordinary.”

Marko also thanked Max Verstappen for his continued support. “On the one hand, this is very reassuring, there is still something like loyalty and appreciation,” Marko said. “Since our first conversation, when Max was 15, there has been a special connection between us. Now I'm looking forward to Austin, there we can hopefully be on Sunday celebrating his 50th Grand Prix victory.”

Mercedes share details of new upgrade​

Mercedes hope that the introduction of a new floor upgrade at the upcoming F1 United States Grand Prix will indicate they are “on the right track”.

If they aren't then where the heck are are they?

Watkin's Glen?? Indianapolis???

McLaren provide pathway to team's first female driver in F1 after latest signing​

McLaren have signed F1 Academy star Bianca Bustamante, adding the 18-year-old to their Driver Development programme. Born in the Philippines, Bustamante is the first female driver to join the British team’s development programme and despite her youth, has extensive experience in single-seater motorsport. Bustamante competed in the W Series before moving over to F1 Academy this season, where she recorded two wins and two podiums heading into the final race of the season this weekend in Austin, Texas. "This is such an unreal moment in my career, to sign with McLaren and ART Grand Prix is way beyond anything I could’ve ever imagined growing up racing karts in the Philippines," said Bustamante. "I still have a hard time seeing my name next to McLaren without getting emotional, as the history and heritage linked to this team leaves me truly speechless. I’m so grateful for this opportunity as I believe I now have the best possible development structure around me to take the next step up in my career, and for this I am so thankful. 2023 was all about improving my speed which I demonstrated across several races this year, but in 2024 my aim is to establish consistency and improve my mental strength in order to make a title challenge in the coming F1 Academy season. For now, my focus is to finish off the F1 Academy season strongly here in Austin, but we’ll get to work immediately on the 2024 season. I've never been more motivated in my life! A big thanks goes to Susie Wolff and the team at F1 Academy for fighting so hard for us girls and to give us this opportunity to be the best we can be. Additional thanks go to Zak Brown, Andrea Stella, Emanuele Pirro, Sebastian Philippe, my sponsors, and all my supporters for believing in me and making this all possible. I am full of gratitude, and I promise to give it my all."

Bustamante has also used social media to build up an impressive following dedicated to her journey in motorsport. Across platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok, Bustamante has amassed over one million followers. "The team are delighted for Bianca to join us, and for McLaren to be involved in F1 Academy," Andrea Stella, McLaren’s team principal added. "It’s a core principle of ours to be a diverse and inclusive team, so we’re pleased to be so involved in Formula One’s work on the important topic of improving gender diversity within motorsport. We also look forward to seeing Bianca grow and progress within the McLaren Racing Driver Development program under Emanuele’s guidance." Bustamante spoke to reporters earlier this year and highlighted funding as one of the main obstacles for young drivers pursuing a career in single-seater motorsport. "To pursue what I love and to live my dreams... not many people get to do that," she said. "Social media is great not only for showing the wins but also showing the lows. I'm so grateful to have my Dark Horse, through them I was able to achieve anything, whether that's funding or sponsorship. It's super important to have that platform to attract even more sponsorships and endorsements as people know that you're able to lead a community."

Helmut Marko denies rumour of Red Bull F1 political ousting

Helmut Marko has hit back at “speculation” surrounding his future in F1 amid rumours of political unrest at Red Bull. Brazilian broadcaster Globo claimed that Marko could be ousted from his consultancy role with “tension” reportedly growing between him and Red Bull team principal Christian Horner over several matters. The same report suggested there was a crunch meeting scheduled for this week that would determine Marko’s future at Red Bull. But the 80-year-old Austrian has moved to deny the reports, insisting that only he will decide when he stops. “There is no summit this week,” Marko told Austrian outlet Oe24. “I have a contract until the end of next year. When and how I stop, when [it] is over, I decide and not, for example, Mr. Horner.”

Asked about the alleged power struggle between himself and Horner, Marko stated: “Through the new constellation [following the death of Dietrich Mateschitz] everything is different. People are trying to re-line the powers.” Pushed on further rumours, including that Yuki Tsunoda could be replaced at AlphaTauri despite holding a contract, Marko said: “These are all just speculations.”

Marko also denied that Red Bull have given Sergio Perez a performance ultimatum to keep his 2024 seat. According to Globo, Red Bull would look to trigger an early exit for Perez if the Mexican does not finish second in the drivers’ world championship. “Just like the one about Perez,” Marko continued. “There is no ultimatum to Perez. I think we win too much - incredible things are put into the world. One should appreciate the performance of Max Verstappen much more, it is extraordinary.”

Marko also thanked Max Verstappen for his continued support. “On the one hand, this is very reassuring, there is still something like loyalty and appreciation,” Marko said. “Since our first conversation, when Max was 15, there has been a special connection between us. Now I'm looking forward to Austin, there we can hopefully be on Sunday celebrating his 50th Grand Prix victory.”

Gone in 2 weeks. :D

Stroll replacement rumours SWIRL after F1 poster mishap​

Aston Martin’s commitment to Lance Stroll seemingly came into question after an embarrassing error from the United States Grand Prix organisers saw reserve driver Felipe Drugovich included on an F1 poster instead of the Canadian. 24-year-old Stroll has been amongst the F1 grid ever since joining with Williams back in 2017. The Canadian has gone on to compete with Racing Point and currently Aston Martin, where he has spent the last three seasons. However, recent stagnation in his performances this season compared to team-mate Fernando Alonso has led to some within the sport to question his future at the team.

Meanwhile, Aston Martin test and reserve driver Drugovich is spending a year on the sidelines after clinching the Formula 2 title in 2022. The Brazilian impressed during this campaign, with many fans hoping they will soon see him take over the reins from Stroll. In an ironic twist, the organisers for the upcoming United States Grand Prix in Austin accidentally included Drugovich instead of Stroll on a poster showing the current F1 drivers. After this was seemingly noticed on social media, the organisers moved to quickly correct this mistake and return Stroll to his spot.

Nevertheless, the initial error led to further questions and speculation over Stroll’s future both in the team and the sport as a whole. However, as Stroll’s father, Lawrence, is the owner of the Aston Martin F1 team, it seems unlikely that this would happen. Stroll currently sits tenth in the championship, but remains 136 points behind Alonso who is fourth. With just five rounds remaining in the ongoing season, Aston Martin are embroiled in a battle with McLaren for fourth place in the constructors’ championship. The British outfit will need Stroll to improve rapidly and greater contribute alongside Alonso in order to stave off their rampaging papaya rivals.

(Had a quick google but couldn't find the poster, maybe its X or the gram)

'Christian Horner hoped to recruit Toto Wolff’s right-hand man as Red Bull “civil war” brews'

Christian Horner reportedly tried to appoint Bradley Lord as AlphaTauri team principal in a stunning political move amid Red Bull unrest. Reports claim that there is “a civil war” inside the F1 constructors’ champions ahead of the United States Grand Prix this weekend. “Just being team boss at Red Bull is no longer enough” for Horner, it is reported. He wants to “get rid of” Helmut Marko and be in sole charge of Red Bull and its sister team AlphaTauri. Marko was a key ally of Red Bull founder Dietrich Mateschitz, who died a year ago, and still retains the backing of new boss Oliver Mintzlaff. “Horner had planned and is still planning the coup,” it is remarkably reported. It is claimed that he sought support from Red Bull’s 51 percent shareholders from Thailand before attempting to recruit Bradley Lord - Mercedes’ chief of communications who acted as Toto Wolff’s stand-in at the past two grands prix - as new team principal of AlphaTauri.

That plan did not work.

Horner lent support to Peter Bayer, new CEO of AlphaTauri. But the addition of Laurent Mekies to AlphaTauri was Marko’s call. Horner’s “role was discussed” in a meeting between Marko and Mintzlaff, the report claims. Mintzlaff will be in the paddock in Austin this weekend. Max Verstappen has pledged his loyalty to Marko in conversations with Mintzlaff already. Horner responded to these claims by telling reporters: "Without Helmut, I wouldn't be in the position that I am today. Like with the young drivers that he has given an opportunity, he also gave me that opportunity".

[I"d love for them to get rid of Marko and see if it makes anything change :):thumbs:]

Now I'm conflicted.

Whinger or Marko? Marko or Whinger? Fracas in the garage! Fra-car - geddit???

:p :D

I reckon Whinger's job is ten times harder than it needs to be because of two people: Marko and Joss Verstappen.

It must be a nightmare navigating the strident, demanding selfishness of Daddy Max, who haunts the garage like Banquo's ghost.

And even when everything (Checo apart) is peachy on-track, there's the obstreperous, interfering, foot-in-mouth specialist, Marko.

Poor Whinger.

:(

F1, not FIA, will make Andretti call – Domenicali​

Formula 1 rights holder Liberty Media will make the final call about whether Andretti-Cadillac will be permitted onto the grid. That is the insistence of the sport’s CEO Stefano Domenicali, amid a power struggle with the governing FIA amid president Mohammed Ben Sulayem’s desire for an eleventh team as soon as 2025. Ben Sulayem is quoted by Kronen Zeitung newspaper as saying: “Let’s not play games – it’s about money.” The FIA boss was speaking after the latest World Motor Sport Council meeting in Geneva on Thursday, where he thanked members of the body for green-lighting the Andretti bid. “We firmly believe we are doing what is best for the long-term sustainability of the sport,” said Ben Sulayem.

But in the very same media statement, Domenicali made clear that Liberty-owned Formula One Management will make the final call following commercial talks that are taking place now. “We note the points made regarding the FIA’s new team entry process and as we have said before, we will now make our own assessment of the merits of the remaining application,” said the Italian. Many of the existing ten teams remain opposed to expanding the grid – including Haas, who would lose their status as the only American team in F1. “In 2020 we fought for survival,” said team boss Gunther Steiner. “If you allow more teams, the risk is greater that we fail when things go wrong.”

Decision to raise maximum F1 fine to €1m branded 'obscene' by furious drivers​

George Russell has branded the FIA “ridiculous” and called its decision to raise driver fines to €1million “obscene”. Formula One’s governing body announced it was quadrupling the maximum fine available to be handed to a driver from €250,000. It did not specify what F1 driver indiscretion might warrant the €1m penalty in its revised international sporting code.

Russell said: “I think it’s pretty ridiculous that a driver could be fined €1m. We just want transparency and understanding. I think already the fines are getting out of control. Max Verstappen being fined €50,000 for touching a car. It feels like these numbers are being plucked out the air. How can a federation just make up these six figure, seven-figure sums? It seems obscene.” Russell’s annoyance over the dramatic rise in potential driver fines was echoed by the rest of the grid.

His Mercedes teammate Lewis Hamilton said: “We do need to be thinking about the message that sends out to those watching. If they are going to be fining a million, let’s make sure 100 per cent goes to a good cause. There is a lot of money in this industry and there is a lot more we need to do in terms of creating better accessibility and diversity. That’s the only way they’ll get that million from me.”

I'll be at the bar for qualifying so will not be posting here. We have an agreement at the bar that we do not use mobiles etc. If someone uses their phone they get a B$10 fine and we give that money to the bar staff for Christmas :)

I'll be watching qualifying as I wrap myself around a night-time mug of Horlicks, while clad in my tartan dressing gown, stripey jammies, purple slippers and pom-pom dangling nightcap. **

:)

** I do not possess any items of clothing that match this description.

I'll be at the bar for qualifying so will not be posting here. We have an agreement at the bar that we do not use mobiles etc. If someone uses their phone they get a B$10 fine and we give that money to the bar staff for Christmas :)

Sounds good.

I have heard of a thing where everyone puts their phones in a pile on the table and the first person who cracks gets the bill. :D

George Russell and Alex Albon slam Sky F1 star Martin Brundle​

George Russell was among the Formula 1 stars who issued a feisty response to criticism from Martin Brundle after the Qatar Grand Prix was run in extreme conditions. A cocktail of factors led to unusually high temperatures within the cockpits of the cars while they raced at the Losail International Circuit. And it took its toll on the drivers whose bodies struggled to cope. Logan Sargeant was forced to retire for fear of passing out behind the wheel, while Esteban Ocon kept on racing after throwing up inside his helmet. Several other racers sought immediate medical attention for their dehydration as soon as the race was over.

The FIA listened to complaints from drivers as it pledged to conduct a review to learn what to do if similar conditions arise in the future. But former racer Brundle, now a long-serving member of the Sky Sports F1 punditry team, was critical of suggestions that it was too hot to race. "It's races like Qatar and very rainy days which make F1 drivers look the heroes and athletes they are," he wrote on social media. "Absolutely don't buy into the weak view we shouldn't put them through this kind of challenge."

That comment prompted an online backlash from fans, as did fellow former racer Gerhard Berger when he questioned the fitness of some of the current drivers. If you ask a [Max] Verstappen or a [Lewis] Hamilton, they don't get sick even in those temperatures, because it's a factor that you must have on the radar if you want to win," he opined. But Russell, a director of the Grand Prix Drivers' Association, pointed out that things these days are different to when messrs Brundle and Berger were in their heyday. "Anyone can say what they like but also the race cars in the '90s and '80s didn't have all the electronic boxes round the cockpit heating the cockpit up," said the Mercedes racer. "They didn't have the power steering system which was running at 50, 60 degrees, radiating heat. We have hydraulic lines running all around the cockpit which is at 120 degrees, the cockpit was closing in on 60°C through that race and we have a thicker fireproof underwear than they ever wore. Since the [Romain] Grosjean crash the fireproofs are sustainably thicker, it's like wearing a fleece. People can say what they like. Things are different now, the same way they were different 40 years ago [to what came before]."

Alex Albon was one of those who felt the effects of the extreme temperatures more keenly during the race. He managed to finish but was treated for "acute heat exposure" and, when asked for his response to criticism from F1 stars of the past, snapped back. "It's not fitness-related at that point, it's pure heat exhaustion," said the Williams driver. "Everyone's passing out on the floor trying to strip off their clothes after the race, so it's not really a fitness point. I would be one of the better people at it because of my ethnicity and being used to the humidity. It was painful. We are driving around quickly, the speeds that we're doing around Qatar are huge. It's one of those things, we can't communicate it because we're the only people that drive it. So when we say it's bad, I hope people just take our word for it and know that we're not being divas."

Austrian GP organisers respond to FIA president’s threat​

Organisers of the Austrian Grand Prix appear undeterred by FIA President Mohammed Ben Sulayem’s recent warning that the race at the Red Bull Ring could be at risk of cancellation. The issue of ‘track limits’ and the numerous rulings on deleted laps during this year’s Austrian GP, often delayed and resulting in confusion, has prompted concerns. Ben Sulayem’s patience reached its limit after further incidents in Qatar. “The solution is to improve the tracks,” the FIA boss stated emphatically. “We had the same issue in Austria – it was 1200 (violations) there. I know some are resistant to it, but quite honestly, if they don’t (improve), there is no race. It’s as simple as that. We can’t afford this.”

Ben Sulayem’s stance has garnered support from many Formula 1 team bosses, as the ongoing issues with track limits have created a situation that some consider farcical. This has raised the possibility of circuits being axed from the F1 calendar if they are deemed unsuitable for the sport. A spokesperson for the Red Bull Ring in Austria responded to the situation, stating, “We are in constructive communication with the FIA and (MotoGP’s) FIM and are constantly working to meet all requirements.”

In response to the challenges posed by track limits and the need for better monitoring, the FIA has taken action since the Austrian Grand Prix. According to reports from Auto Motor und Sport, the number of personnel responsible for monitoring live track limits in Geneva has been doubled. New software has also been implemented to enhance the monitoring of problematic corners and kerbs, ensuring that driver infractions are promptly added to the FIA system. Ben Sulayem acknowledged the efforts of the stewards in Qatar, stating, “I have to say, congratulations to the stewards because they spotted it. But is that the solution? No.”

United States Grand Prix Friday Practice Results​

1. Max Verstappen (1), Red Bull-Honda RBPT 1:35.912
  2. Charles Leclerc (16), Ferrari +.156
  3. Lewis Hamilton (44), Mercedes +.281
  4. Sergio Perez (11), Red Bull-Honda RBPT +300
  5. Kevin Magnussen (20), Haas-Ferrari +.560
  6. George Russell (63), Mercedes +.562
  7. Alexander Albon (23), Williams-Mercedes +.580
  8. Carlos Sainz (55), Ferrari +.621
  9. Nico Hülkenberg, (27), Haas-Ferrari +790
  10. Pierre Gasly (10), Alpine-Renault +793
  11. Logan Sargeant (2), Williams-Mercedes +1.075
  12. Esteban Ocon (31), Alpine-Renault +1.154
  13. Yuki Tsunoda (22), AlphaTauri-Honda RBPT +1.192
  14. Daniel Ricciardo (3), AlphaTauri-Honda RBPT +1.240
  15. Lando Norris (14), McLaren-Mercedes +1.1344
  16. Zhou Guanyu (24), Alfa Romeo-Ferrari +1.506
  17. Valtteri Bottas (77), Alfa Romeo-Ferrari +1.605
  18. Fernando Alonso (14), Aston Martin-Mercedes +1.928
  19. Oscar Piastri (81), McLaren-Mercedes +2.508
  20. Lance Stroll (18), Aston Martin-Mercedes +4.028

McLaren provide pathway to team's first female driver in F1 after latest signing​

McLaren have signed F1 Academy star Bianca Bustamante, adding the 18-year-old to their Driver Development programme. Born in the Philippines, Bustamante is the first female driver to join the British team’s development programme and despite her youth, has extensive experience in single-seater motorsport. Bustamante competed in the W Series before moving over to F1 Academy this season, where she recorded two wins and two podiums heading into the final race of the season this weekend in Austin, Texas. "This is such an unreal moment in my career, to sign with McLaren and ART Grand Prix is way beyond anything I could’ve ever imagined growing up racing karts in the Philippines," said Bustamante. "I still have a hard time seeing my name next to McLaren without getting emotional, as the history and heritage linked to this team leaves me truly speechless. I’m so grateful for this opportunity as I believe I now have the best possible development structure around me to take the next step up in my career, and for this I am so thankful. 2023 was all about improving my speed which I demonstrated across several races this year, but in 2024 my aim is to establish consistency and improve my mental strength in order to make a title challenge in the coming F1 Academy season. For now, my focus is to finish off the F1 Academy season strongly here in Austin, but we’ll get to work immediately on the 2024 season. I've never been more motivated in my life! A big thanks goes to Susie Wolff and the team at F1 Academy for fighting so hard for us girls and to give us this opportunity to be the best we can be. Additional thanks go to Zak Brown, Andrea Stella, Emanuele Pirro, Sebastian Philippe, my sponsors, and all my supporters for believing in me and making this all possible. I am full of gratitude, and I promise to give it my all."

Bustamante has also used social media to build up an impressive following dedicated to her journey in motorsport. Across platforms such as Twitter, Instagram, and TikTok, Bustamante has amassed over one million followers. "The team are delighted for Bianca to join us, and for McLaren to be involved in F1 Academy," Andrea Stella, McLaren’s team principal added. "It’s a core principle of ours to be a diverse and inclusive team, so we’re pleased to be so involved in Formula One’s work on the important topic of improving gender diversity within motorsport. We also look forward to seeing Bianca grow and progress within the McLaren Racing Driver Development program under Emanuele’s guidance." Bustamante spoke to reporters earlier this year and highlighted funding as one of the main obstacles for young drivers pursuing a career in single-seater motorsport. "To pursue what I love and to live my dreams... not many people get to do that," she said. "Social media is great not only for showing the wins but also showing the lows. I'm so grateful to have my Dark Horse, through them I was able to achieve anything, whether that's funding or sponsorship. It's super important to have that platform to attract even more sponsorships and endorsements as people know that you're able to lead a community."

More on this.

Think I'll be skipping the sprint stuff today - not much point watching the qualifying when I'm not going to stay up for the race. At least tomorrow it starts at a reasonable time.

2023 FIA United States Grand Prix – Qualifying

1 Charles Leclerc Ferrari 1:34.723 - -
2 Lando Norris McLaren 1:34.853 0.130
3 Lewis Hamilton Mercedes 1:34.862 0.139
4 Carlos Sainz Ferrari 1:34.945 0.222
5 George Russell Mercedes 1:35.079 0.356
6 Max Verstappen Red Bull Racing 1:35.081 0.358
7 Pierre Gasly Alpine 1:35.089 0.366
8 Esteban Ocon Alpine 1:35.154 0.431
9 Sergio Pérez Red Bull Racing 1:35.173 0.450
10 Oscar Piastri McLaren 1:35.467 0.744
11 Yuki Tsunoda AlphaTauri 1:35.697 0.974
12 Zhou Guanyu Alfa Romeo 1:35.698 0.975
13 Valtteri Bottas Alfa Romeo 1:35.858 1.135
14 Kevin Magnussen Haas 1:35.880 1.157
15 Daniel Ricciardo AlphaTauri 1:35.974 1.251
16 Nico Hülkenberg Haas 1:36.235 1.512
17 Fernando Alonso Aston Martin 1:36.268 1.545
18 Alexander Albon Williams 1:36.315 1.592
19 Lance Stroll Aston Martin 1:36.589 1.866
20 Logan Sargeant Williams 1:36.827 2.104

‘It’s always Lewis Hamilton’ – Susie Wolff frustrated at lack of F1 driver support​

Susie Wolff has expressed her disappointment that of the 20 Formula 1 drivers, it was only Lewis Hamilton and George Russell who visited the F1 Academy paddock in Austin. For the first time since the competition’s inception, F1 Academy is sharing a paddock with Formula 1 with the final round taking place on the same weekend as the United States Grand Prix. That gave the F1 teams and personnel a chance to meet their F1 Academy counterparts but Hamilton and Russell were the only ones to take up the opportunity.

Susie Wolff ‘expects’ more F1 interaction in 2024
That lack of support has frustrated F1 Academy managing director Wolff who said it was a “little bit sad” for only Hamilton to regularly make the effort. “It’s a little bit sad that it’s always Lewis,” she told Sky Sports F1. “He’s always the one offering support, coming over and really, because I think in the end, he knows what it’s like to be the only one and so he has an affinity. But there’s going to be the 10 F1 teams with their own livery, so I expect a lot more interaction from the F1 teams generally next season because they have the platforms, they have the voices and I think that’s something which will be hugely helpful because this is not a short-term project. If we want to see success, it’s got to be long term.”

Wolff described getting all 10 teams onboard for next season as “no mean feat” but was happy with the doors it has opened up. “The great thing for me when I signed all 10 teams, which was no mean feat I have to say it took a long time, it was a huge workload off my desk because they all have junior academies, they all know about nurturing talent and what you need to be successful in this sport and they all had to go out and find their drivers,” Wolff said. “You can only stay two years in F1 Academy so they know ‘okay, I need to find the next driver’ and that has already started a wave of these teams looking for young talent, nurturing young talent so that you have a better chance of success. Like we all know, these F1 teams are hugely competitive, they want to find the best female driver and that’s already created such a positive knock-on effect, even down to the world of karting.”

Back
Top Bottom