Urban75 Home About Offline BrixtonBuzz Contact

F1 2023

Verstappen grid position for Australian GP restart sparks HUGE debate​

9243892f263c704b4fd697f71ec35b1227942398.jpg

Max Verstappen won the 2023 Australian Grand Prix but not without controversy as his grid position for the standing start on lap 56 sparked a heated online debate. Verstappen's tyres were on the line but many felt the positioning of his car gave him an unfair advantage over his rivals, with some members of F1 Twitter even claiming he was out of the grid box.
monplace in future.

Seventh is still a great result for Hulk though but I guess it's worth them trying the appeal if there's even a tiny chance of the extra points.

A distinct whiff of sour grapes. :)
Oh come off it. He's hardly a sparkling wit, his off track persona is as spiky as on it, and a family gathering includes listening to the drunken rants of assorted bullies, wife-beaters, racists and homophobes (Jos and Nelson Sr, looking in your general direction). It's hardly a stretch to say that Verstappen is both a staggeringly quick driver and a bit of a dick.

Max is a brilliant driver in a great car. He is also a dick.

Lewis also is a brilliant driver in a (not so) great car. He can be a dick sometimes but not as much as Max.

That pass by Lewis was totally fair, Max just doesn't like it up him.

I like my racing drivers to be a bit of a dick, they need some self belief and arrogance to believe they can control those machines at 200mph. Well balanced, sensible people would steer well clear of it.

Blimey

A Formula One fan at the Australian Grand Prix suffered a cut to his arm when struck by a piece of debris from Kevin Magnussen’s car, putting the spotlight on organisers’ safety protocols.

Spectators managed to break through security and access the track, with some reaching the car driven by Haas’s Nico Hulkenberg as it was parked at the exit of turn two.

Italian media irate over Sainz penalty​

When Carlos Sainz was handed a five-second time penalty for his restart crash with Fernando Alonso, it capped off a disappointing weekend for Ferrari. The team came away from Melbourne with zero points, while Charles Leclerc has still yet to reach double digits in the Drivers Championship standings. With just 26 points for the team it is one of the worst starts to a season since 2020 for Ferrari, and has prompted a fierce reaction from Italian media outlets.

Corriere della Sera believes FIA Race Director Niels Wittich was wrong to refer Sainz to the stewards: "Competition leader Niels Wittich gets a zero from us. He, like his predecessor Michael Masi, did everything wrong. He seems to want to cover himself on all fronts, so as not to be held liable. The FIA also gets a zero, because they show no flexibility at all when applying the rules. In fact, the rules are not properly applied at all. They must fire Wittich immediately."

Despite the criticism aimed at the FIA, they add that Sainz made a poor judgement in trying to overtake Alonso: "Sainz has to look in the mirror, but his punishment was exaggerated. Leclerc was frustrated after qualifying and was already out after three turns a day later."

La Gazzetta dello Sport is slightly more supporting of the decision from Race Control to red flag the race: "They didn't want to finish a race behind a safety car after the Monza '22 debacle themselves." They also point the blame towards Sainz for missing out on his podium. "Leclerc ended up in the gravel because he was too rushed and Carlos Sainz unfortunately went 'wrong' at the restart. Before that, he drove forward handsomely and was on for a podium."

The Corriere dello Sport is much more critical over Ferrari's race management, believing the team made too many mistakes which resulted in zero points being scored. "Ferrari is losing patience with the far too nervous drivers. Leclerc immediately went KO, while Sainz had a chance to win a podium, but ruined everything himself. We have to write about mistakes, plural, because it doesn't stop at one mistake. It is not for nothing that Ferrari has only 26 points. Leclerc was furious and needs to calm down. Of course, he can't help Ferrari being too slow, but losing this way only makes everything worse. The podium was deserved for Ferrari, but Sainz threw everything away by hitting Alonso."

Massa to look into legal options over 2008 F1 title outcome​

The Brazilian has been prompted into action by recent comments from former F1 supremo Bernie Ecclestone, who offered fresh insight into the critical 2008 Singapore Grand Prix that proved hugely costly to Massa’s title ambitions that year. That Singapore race is most famously known for the deliberate crash triggered by Nelson Piquet Jr, which brought out a safety car that ultimately helped his then Renault team-mate Fernando Alonso win the race. The controversy also had a huge influence on the title battle, as the safety car triggered a botched pitstop from Massa’s Ferrari crew that dropped the then leader well down the order and he finished 13th, while main title rival Hamilton grabbed third.

The points swing on that day arguably decided the world championship outcome as Hamilton ended the campaign just one point ahead of Massa in the standings after the Brazilian GP. Details about Piquet’s deliberate actions emerged in public the following year, and they resulted in Renault facing a two-year suspended ban from F1, while then team boss Flavio Briatore and technical chief Pat Symonds were also punished for their part in the events.

At the time, Massa led calls for the FIA to cancel the result of the Singapore GP, but the governing body’s statutes made that impossible as the classification from each season is set in stone under the International Sporting Code once the FIA Awards ceremony is complete. Furthermore, the FIA’s investigation into the events of Singapore did not uncover any evidence that suggested Alonso and the wider Renault team knew of the crash plan or assisted in its execution, so the governing body felt it would have been unfair to change the result.

Ecclestone remarks
However, Massa thinks there are grounds to review things once again in the wake of recent comments from Ecclestone suggesting that he and the FIA were aware of the rules breach before the end of the 2008 season, so within the time when action could have been taken to alter the result. In an interview last month, Ecclestone said he and then FIA president Max Mosley knew of the situation “during the 2008 season.” He added: “We decided not to do anything for now. We wanted to protect the sport and save it from a huge scandal. That's why I used angelic tongues to persuade my former driver Nelson Piquet to keep calm for the time being. Back then, there was a rule that a world championship classification after the FIA awards ceremony at the end of the year was untouchable. So Hamilton was presented with the trophy and everything was fine. We had enough information in time to investigate the matter. According to the statutes, we should have cancelled the race in Singapore under these conditions. That means it would never have happened for the championship standings. And then Felipe Massa would have become world champion and not Lewis Hamilton.”

Those remarks have drawn interest from Massa, who says he wants to evaluate whether or not there are grounds now to take the matter further in legal channels. Speaking during the recent Stock Car Pro Series weekend in Goiania, Massa said: “There is a rule that says that when a championship is decided, from the moment the driver receives the champion's trophy, things can no longer be changed, even if it has been proven a theft. At the time, Ferrari's lawyers told me about this rule. We went to other lawyers and the answer was that nothing could be done. So I logically believed in this situation. But after 15 years, we hear that the [former] owner of the category says that he found out in 2008, together with the president of the FIA, and they did nothing [so as] to not tarnish the name of F1. This is very sad, to know the result of this race was supposed to be cancelled and I would have a title. In the end, I was the one who lost the most with this result. So, we are going after it to understand all this.” Massa accept that his chances of finding any route to challenge the result are slim, but he insists that does not put him off looking into it.

"There are rules, and there are many things that, depending on the country, you cannot go back after 15 years to resolve a situation," he said. “But I intend to study the situation; study what the laws say, and the rules. We have to have an idea of what is possible to do.” Massa is clear though that his motivation to look once again into the matter is not being fuelled by the desire for financial compensation. “I would never go after it thinking financially,” he said. “I would go after it thinking about justice. I think if you've been punished for something that wasn't your fault, and it's the product of a robbery, a stolen race, justice has to be served. In fact, the right situation is to cancel the result of that race. It is the only justice that can be done in a case like this.”

Massa said it was not uncommon for other sports to amend results many years after competitions when fresh evidence of cheating had emerged. “We have already seen other situations happening in sports, such as Lance Armstrong (cyclist), who was proven to have doped, and he lost all the titles. What is the difference?” When asked if he had spoken to his former Ferrari team about the matter, Massa said: “Not yet.” While Massa plans to look into the matter, there do not appear to be any routes to get the result of the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix cancelled. The FIA’s own International Sporting Code does not allow protests after a race, and any right to request a review expires 14 calendar days after a competition and four days prior to the date of that year’s FIA prize-giving ceremony.

Furthermore, the FIA’s judicial system is clear that the highest authority to make any ruling is the independent International Court of Appeal and that any persons involved in a championship agree to abide by this. So there are no alternative courts that Massa could use. Article 1.3.1b of the ISC states that competitors: “Shall undertake to submit themselves without reserve to the above and to the decisions of the sporting authority and to the consequences resulting therefrom.” While in theory Massa could seek out the views of the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS), it has no jurisdiction over the FIA on issues like this. The FIA statutes dictate that the CAS may only be involved in matters relating to the FIA’s Anti-Doping Disciplinary Committee. This judicial structure within the FIA, of the final call being the ICA, was one of the reasons why Mercedes abandoned its challenge over the result of the 2021 Abu Dhabi Grand Prix, where Hamilton lost the title after rules regarding the running of the event were not followed by F1 race director Michael Masi.

Speaking at the time about the matter, Mercedes team boss Toto Wolff said that if there had been options of taking it through other legal channels, then they would have been pursued. “We believe we had a very strong case, and if you look at it from the legal side, if it would have been judged in a regular court you could almost guarantee that we would have won,” he said. “But the problem with the ICA is the way it is structured. The FIA can’t really mark their own homework. And there is a difference between being right, and obtaining justice.”

Red Bull could axe Sergio Perez​

Red Bull could replace Sergio Perez with another driver on their books and it's not Daniel Ricciardo. The Mexican has done well since joining Red Bull, improving all the time and doing what the team needs him to do win when Max Verstappen isn't able to. He demonstrated that perfectly at last month's Saudi Arabian Grand Prix, when the Dutchman was hampered by a mechanical issue in qualifying. But, at the age of 33, Perez is not the long-term solution. His current contract expires at the end of the 2024 season, by which point he will be close to his 35th birthday.

To plan for the future, Red Bull will no doubt assess all their options at that time in terms of who would partner Verstappen, who has a deal until the end of 2028. Current reserve driver Ricciardo will also be in his mid-30s and, if he has his own way, already in another race seat on the grid by then. If Franz Tost's theory is correct, Red Bull may well turn to Yuki Tsunoda to fill that seat. The AlphaTauri chief has been very impressed with the way the Japanese racer has started the new season, and feels a move to the sister team could be on the cars in the future. "Yuki drove two extremely strong races so far," said the veteran team boss. "I am very happy with him. It's not his fault that we aren't competitive yet." Tsunoda went on to score his first point of the season in an action-packed Melbourne race, after two impressive but frustrating 11th-placed finishes.

Tsunoda still has plenty of time to improve but is already quite experienced, starting his third Formula 1 season at the age of 22. He has struggled to perform at times over the past couple of seasons and has also been criticised for his fiery temperament at times. But the young racer labelled a "problem child" last year by Red Bull's Helmut Marko seems to have gained better control of his emotions of late and is beginning to show more of his undeniable talent. And Tost believes it won't be long until he is ready for his shot at the top team. He added: "As far as I know, Sergio Perez still has a contract for next year. All I can say is that Yuki is on the right track. He has improved in every respect. But I think he should drive at AlphaTauri again in 2024. In 2025, I think he will finally be ready for Red Bull."

Hmm... I don't think age per se is Checo's problem. Look at Alonso, Hamilton, and Hulkenberg.

I think the problem is that Checo drives well enough to win races in RB's present car. And more importantly, refuses to get out of Max's way and donate a victory to him.

This heresy, this blasphemy, this profanity sends team Verstappen into volcanic rage. The sheer insolence of the Mexican!

We already know that Verstappen père tries to bully Whinger and Marko to get his way. We already know that Whinger jettisons drivers after the merest hint from Marko.

I don't see an age and contract problem; I see fuckery afoot.

Lando Norris instant regret as he calls Lewis Hamilton an eight-time World Champion​

Lando Norris made a little error while live-streaming on Twitch recently, and knew he had done so immediately… Lewis Hamilton may be on a long quest to score a record-breaking eighth World Championship but, in some people’s minds at least, the British driver has already secured that accolade. With Hamilton having lost out on the 2021 title due to controversial racing conditions provided by the decision-making of then-FIA Race Director Michael Masi, there have been accidental referrals to the Mercedes driver being an eight-time Champion from within the racing world.

Christian Horner, team boss of Red Bull, was one to make such an error last year, before correcting himself saying he’d ‘forgotten Nico Rosberg had won one!’, while Norris has become the latest of Hamilton’s F1 colleagues to slip up. “This one here? That’s from when Lewis won his eighth World Champ…” Norris said, before freezing like a deer caught in the headlights, as he took to his Twitch channel for one of his regular live-streams. The McLaren driver had been showcasing his accumulated helmet collection for the benefit of his viewers.

Realising what he had said, Norris ducked out of view of the camera for some 20 seconds before re-surfacing to show himself in the depths of laughter. Norris’ faux pas comes shortly after a Mercedes sponsor made a similar ‘error’ during a promotional event. In the run-up to the Australian Grand Prix, Hamilton was a guest at the Universiti Teknologi Petronas (UTP) – Petronas being a long-time title sponsor for the Mercedes Formula 1 team. Hamilton received a warm welcome as he was introduced onto the stage, but the person making that introduction made the same error Norris made.

The event host excitedly said: “UTP, could you please put your hands together and your phones down for eight-time World Champion Lewis Hamilton”. Given Petronas’ position, the slip-up may not be quite as innocent as Norris’…

[Lando is great mates with Max so he'll be rather embarrassed by this slip]

Zak Brown says he wants to have a boxing match with Toto Wolff​

McLaren CEO Zak Brown has thrown down a huge challenge to Mercedes boss Toto Wolff and to Red Bull team principal Christian Horner; however, both are drastically different. Brown is certainly known for wanting to put on an entertaining spectacle, with the American having been in a great mood after McLaren finally scored their first points of the 2023 F1 season. Following the Australian Grand Prix, Brown revealed that he’s trying to arrange a race with Horner at Silverstone, whilst he’s hoping to punch Wolff in the face!

Brown has challenged Wolff to a boxing match at the Las Vegas Grand Prix, whilst his race with Horner is being discussed for the British Grand Prix. Brown and Horner have actually raced against each other before, with the duo having competed against one another in British F3 during the mid-1990s. The McLaren CEO is “ready” for both competitions, with Brown now just waiting for a response. “We were talking about racing Christian in Silverstone [host of the British Grand Prix], because I used to race against Christian,” Brown told Sky Sports F1. “And I’ve talked to Toto about it, we’ll see if he’s up for it. When we go Vegas, what’s Vegas known for? Little boxing match? I’m ready.”

Reflecting on the Australian GP itself, Brown was delighted to see Lando Norris and Oscar Piastri finish in the points. The duo’s solid effort saw the Woking-based team leave Australia with their first points of the season, with the team having moved to fifth in the Constructors’ Championship as a result. Brown was particularly pleased for Piastri, with the rookie’s first points having come at his home race. “Great for Oscar to get points in his home race, and the team did a great job, and we stayed out of trouble,” said Brown. “Everything that we have seen is that Oscar will be a match to Lando (Norris). They are definitely very close which you can see on the data. But Oscar just needs a bit more experience putting it together.” Despite the positive result, Brown knows that McLaren still have work to do but that they will now focus on “fighting in Baku” at the end of April. “We still have the pace to find in the car, and it’s good to get points on the board. Where we sixth and eighth quickest? We’ll take the points and come back fighting in Baku,” concluded Brown.

Mercedes working on suspension upgrade over April break​

Mercedes will work flat out over Formula One's April break to give Lewis Hamilton and George Russell a more balanced car, with improved suspension, the team's chief technical officer James Allison said on Thursday. The sport has a big gap in the calendar, due to the cancellation of the Chinese Grand Prix, until racing resumes in Azerbaijan on April 30. Seven-time world champion Hamilton, who gave the team a first podium of the season with second place in Australia on Sunday, has said he does not "feel connected" to the car. Russell has referred to it as a "lame horse.

"We are working as hard as we can in the wind tunnel to find more downforce, we will be working as hard as we can in the drawing office to convert the things that the wind tunnel found a few weeks ago into performance that we deliver to the track," Allison said in a team debrief. "We will be working in the drawing office also to bring some mechanical parts to the car, some different suspension components that we think will help the underlying balance of the car and make it a more driveable thing."

The fourth race of the season in Baku will be the first of six sprint weekends this year with plans under discussion to limit practice to just one Friday session. Allison said it would be important to hit the ground running. "Sprint races really reward the teams that can land there with a starting setup that is pretty on the money and ready to go in qualifying because the time is really compressed in a sprint race weekend," he added

Sunday was bittersweet for Mercedes, with Hamilton on the podium but Russell suffering a mechanical failure after a promising start from the front row. Hamilton also led briefly before Red Bull's Verstappen powered past with the use of DRS (drag reduction) and went on to win, but the Briton beat Aston Martin's Fernando Alonso.

Allison felt the team had closed the gap slightly to Red Bull and might be ahead of Ferrari and Aston Martin on performance but it was hard to say whether the gain was real. "We'll go to some more very different tracks in the next few weeks and we'll see whether this was the sort of initial bellwether of general uptick in our performance which we hope for, or whether it was related to the quite unusual track conditions," he said.

Hamilton claims YET ANOTHER all-time F1 record from Schumacher​

The longer Lewis Hamilton stays in Formula 1, the fewer records remain which are safe from the seven-time world champion. The Mercedes driver set yet another all-time mark last time out in Australia, stepping onto the podium in a record 17th season surpassing Michael Schumacher's 16. Hamilton already had the record for most consecutive seasons with a podium finish, raising that mark to 16 last season to beat Schumacher's run of 15 between 1992 and 2006. The German's 16th and final season on the podium was 2012, finishing third in the European Grand Prix in Valencia in the last season of his storied career. Rumours abound over the British driver's future in F1, with his contract at Mercedes ending at the conclusion of the current season, but there's no reason to believe he won't be able to extend his podium streak if he's provided a competitive car in 2024.

Records keep falling
Hamilton has set myriad records in his career already, becoming the first driver to reach 100 race wins, the man who has started the most consecutive races (265), and securing the most consecutive points finishes (48, streets ahead of Kimi Raikkonen's 27 in second place). The last of those is a particular tribute to both his remarkable consistency and the astonishing reliability of the Mercedes during his run of four consecutive world titles. That consistency is no doubt part of the reason he's been able to collect a trophy and spray some champagne around for 17 years on the spin, as well as his ability to, er, have a good car.

That last point isn't as trivial as it might sound. Some drivers, such as Fernando Alonso, end up bouncing around uncompetitive teams for years as they chase the next good car, a trend that even led to Alonso taking two years out of the sport only to return to mid-pack mediocrity with Alpine before 2023's miraculous Aston Martin link-up.

Hill names reason for OPTIMISM at Mercedes​

F1 world champion Damon Hill has stated that he believes Mercedes have taken a 'leap forward' in performance and are becoming more of a threat to Red Bull at the front of the field. The Brackley-based team failed to solve the overarching issues presented by the W13 with their 2023 challenger, the W14, and went into the first race of the season notably slower than Aston Martin on pure pace. However, in the following two rounds, the Mercedes package looked more impressive with Hamilton holding off Alonso to secure a P2 finish at the Australian Grand Prix. Comments from within the team have suggested that more major upgrades are on their way ahead of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix at the end of April, although the likelihood of Mercedes making a major dent in Red Bull's advantage is thin.

Mercedes moving forward
Speaking on the F1 Nation podcast about the Mercedes package in Melbourne, Hill stated: "Mercedes was seemingly making some progress [and] inroads to bring some challenge to Red Bull. But the early races can be misleading and we sort of had our heads in our hands a little bit after Bahrain and then things became a little more interesting at Saudi [Arabia]." The former world champion argued that Mercedes had taken major steps forward from their difficult season opener in Bahrain. "I thought I saw signs of the Mercedes, particularly, having made a leap forward after Friday. The car just looked completely different on the Saturday and it sort of continued right through to Melbourne."

Updates from Spa and Malaysia as competition hots up​

As F1 president Stefano Domenicali talks of extreme interest levels over hosting a grand prix, Spa-Francorchamps and Sepang have both given status updates. Formula 1 right now is arguably more popular than it has ever been, with Netflix’s hit docuseries Drive to Survive having spiked a fresh wave of interest in the sport, especially over in the United States. And with jam-packed grandstands now a regular sight across the F1 calendar, it means that the competition for a spot has potentially never been as extreme as it is right now.

In fact, F1 president and CEO Domenicali, who has stated 24 rounds as the limit for a calendar, has claimed that 32 grands prix would be possible right now such is the huge interest. “We could already have more than 30, even 32 grands prix, because everyone wants one,” said Domenicali. And one of the venues trying to defend its spot on the calendar is Spa-Francorchamps, one of the most iconic racing tracks in the world and host of the Belgian Grand Prix. But, with its contract up after the 2023 staging of the Belgian GP, it means Spa will need to secure a new deal in the face of all this competition to remain on the F1 schedule.

That being said, Spa director Vanessa Maes has delivered a positive update on the future of the Belgian GP at the venue, speaking of growing confidence after a recent F1 visit where the circuit showed off its latest improvements. “I am much more optimistic now than I was a year ago.” Maes declared. “A delegation from F1 Group came by this month for two days, to have a quiet look at all the changes we have made to the circuit to make the next grand prix an even bigger success than in 2022. We make the case that Francorchamps now fully meets the F1 Group’s specifications. We are filling in all the conditions. A new meeting is planned soon with the F1 Group people, this time with our chairman Melchior Wathelet in attendance.”

And while Spa is a much-loved Formula 1 venue still currently on the calendar and looking to stay there, another which fans have long since wanted to return is Sepang, the venue which hosted the Malaysian Grand Prix from 1999-2017. And Malaysia has also given an update on the venue’s future in regards to Formula 1, a stance certainly nowhere near as positive as the one Spa is taking. Indeed, Malaysia’s Youth and Sports Minister Hannah Yeoh claimed that the financial side is making a return for the Malaysian GP ‘quite impossible’ as it stands. Malaysian publication The Vibes report Yeoh as having claimed that it is ‘quite impossible for the Formula 1 Malaysian GP to be brought back given the high cost of organising it.

‘Instead, she said the ministry would prioritise funding infrastructure upgrades at SIC [Sepang International Circuit] to the tune of RM20 million to attract more local and international events.’ Interestingly, F1 2023 Championship leader, Red Bull’s Max Verstappen, is the most recent winner of both the Belgian and Malaysian GPs. He would take the chequered flag at the final Malaysian GP as it stands in 2017, while his victory at Spa in 2022, despite starting from P14 on the grid, was a highlight of his dominant second title-winning season, victorious in 15 of the 22 grands prix that year.

F1 to introduce two qualifying sessions, starting at Azerbaijan GP​

Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali revealed new plans to make race weekends more exciting ahead of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix at the end of April. Even though F1 has already implemented several plans to try and make the entire race weekend more exciting for fans and spectators, such as sprint qualifying, the organisation isn't yet satisfied with the results.

After a meeting between all of the Formula 1 teams, Domenicali revealed a new plan to liven up race weekends even more, starting with the Azerbaijan GP this season. Under the new rules, Saturday's second free practice session would be used as qualifying for the sprint race, while Friday's sprint qualifying session will instead be used to determine the order in Sunday's race.

It is definitely an indication of future plans, too, after Domenicali admitted that he fully supports the cancellation of all free practice sessions because he believes "the public does not like them". However, he did admit to Sky Deutschland: "Of course, the drivers need time to practice. But the people in the stands come to see power and performance. The more often you give the teams and drivers the chance to show who they are, the better the show is. Together with the drivers and teams, we are thinking about what could be the best plan for that," the F1 CEO added.

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner is particularly pleased with the changes. "Stefano put a little bit more of his vision out there for the future because that is what he has to do for FOM (Formula One Management): have a vision; where are we going?" Steiner said.

Toto Wolff admits plan to sell Mercedes stake and move to Thailand​

Toto Wolff is synonymous with the success Mercedes has seen in recent years, leading the team to eight consecutive Constructors’ titles and seven consecutive Drivers’ Championships. Wolff joined Mercedes in 2013, becoming a one-third owner of the team in partnership with Daimler and INEOS. While the Austrian had believed he would take a step back from the team by the time he turned 50, he has now revealed he changed the plan in 2020. No longer having an end point in mind, the 51-year-old is expecting to head up Mercedes for years to come. “In 2020 there was a moment of reflection. My plan in a way was to finish at 49,” Wolff told reporters “The idea I had before was to do something else, I wouldn’t have imagined myself beyond 50 as team principal. But something in me has changed, in the past each of my projects was based on a clear guideline: buy shares in a company, develop it, and then sell the shares, and that was the plan when my adventure in Formula 1 began. But in 2020 I came to the conclusion that for the first time in my life I wanted to stay where I was, and I changed the strategy. In 2013 I signed a three-year contract, and it was a very good period, so I renewed for another three years and then another three years. In 2020 I had to decide what to do, go on indefinitely or get out. And I chose the first option. The ‘problem’ is that I can’t leave. I thought about other scenarios, even the possibility of moving to Thailand, changing my business, basically changing my life. But in the end, here I am, I’m in my company. I’m one of three shareholders and honestly, I think I had a great opportunity to be where I am. It is important to remember that especially when there are ups and downs,” he concluded.

Wolff is in one of the most challenging periods of his career at Mercedes, as the team finds itself struggling to compete against Red Bull in the new era of regulations. Last season, Mercedes lost its Constructors’ crown, ending behind Red Bull and Ferrari. This season, Mercedes, once again, sits in P3 in the Constructors’ race, behind Red Bull and Aston Martin.

F1 to introduce two qualifying sessions, starting at Azerbaijan GP​

Formula 1 CEO Stefano Domenicali revealed new plans to make race weekends more exciting ahead of the Azerbaijan Grand Prix at the end of April. Even though F1 has already implemented several plans to try and make the entire race weekend more exciting for fans and spectators, such as sprint qualifying, the organisation isn't yet satisfied with the results.

After a meeting between all of the Formula 1 teams, Domenicali revealed a new plan to liven up race weekends even more, starting with the Azerbaijan GP this season. Under the new rules, Saturday's second free practice session would be used as qualifying for the sprint race, while Friday's sprint qualifying session will instead be used to determine the order in Sunday's race.

It is definitely an indication of future plans, too, after Domenicali admitted that he fully supports the cancellation of all free practice sessions because he believes "the public does not like them". However, he did admit to Sky Deutschland: "Of course, the drivers need time to practice. But the people in the stands come to see power and performance. The more often you give the teams and drivers the chance to show who they are, the better the show is. Together with the drivers and teams, we are thinking about what could be the best plan for that," the F1 CEO added.

Haas team principal Guenther Steiner is particularly pleased with the changes. "Stefano put a little bit more of his vision out there for the future because that is what he has to do for FOM (Formula One Management): have a vision; where are we going?" Steiner said.
Why can’t they just leave things the fuck alone :mad:

Craig Breen has died​

Hyundai have confirmed Irish rallying star Craig Breen has died in a testing accident in Croatia, with the FIA and F1 personnel responding to the tragedy. Breen had been taking part in a private testing event ahead of the Croatia Rally, the fourth round of the 2023 World Rally Championship, when his car is understood to have collided with a roadside pole. His team, Hyundai Motorsport, confirmed the 33-year-old Irishman had succumbed to his injuries, with co-driver James Fulton uninjured. “Hyundai Motorsport is deeply saddened to confirm that driver Craig Breen today lost his life following an accident during the pre-event test for Croatia Rally,” read a statement from Hyundai. “Co-driver James Fulton was unharmed in the incident that occurred just after midday local time. Hyundai Motorsport sends its sincerest condolences to Craig’s family, friends, and his many fans. Hyundai Motorsport will make no further comment at this time.”

While never a rally winner at the top level, Breen won legions of fans during his time in the World Rally Championship. Last season, he drove for the M-Sport Ford team en route to seventh place overall. His most recent competitive outing was at Rally Sweden in February, where he finished second to Ott Tanak. F1 and WRC governing body the FIA have issued a statement acknowledging Breen’s passing, with President Mohammed Ben Sulayem saying: “On behalf of the FIA, I extend sincere condolences to the family & friends of Craig Breen following his passing during a private testing accident. Our thoughts & prayers are with his loved ones & the Rally community at this difficult time.”

Motorsport Ireland’s Aiden Harper said: “The Irish motorsport community is numbed by this tragic news. Craig was a world-class driver and a world-class person. To Craig’s family, his parents Ray and Jackie, his sister Kellie, brother-in-law Darragh, and nephew Bobbie, I wish to extend my deepest condolences and all our thoughts remain with Craig’s co-driver James Fulton. May they all find the strength and support they need at this unimaginably tragic time.”

Grand Prix Driver’s Association chairman Alexander Wurz paid tribute to his friend, saying “Oh noooooo, thats so sad that we lost Craig Breen today in a private rally test. My condolences to his family and friends. He was such a good lad. Rest in peace my dear friend.”

Back
Top Bottom